Player Discussion: Anthony Beauvillier (C - Shawinigan, QMJHL) - 1st Round, #28

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
You underestimate Hamonic and you overestimate Duchene. With this offer, one would think we're going to get Sakic or Forsberg in return. It's not the case. The value of defenseman (the good one) is much higher than you think. Hamonic for Duchene it's quite enough! And if you have to add, you don't offer a package of Nelson, our 2nd best prospect after Barzal (Beauvillier) and a 1st on top of that! Completely absurd. If you have to add, go with Strome. We can than ask for a lesser d-man like Wiercioch for us to keep a good depth on the blue line. Exemple Hamonic + Strome for Duchene + Wiercoch. We receive the best forward, Colorado receive the best defenseman. Not sure Colorado would be that interested because they probably need more a LD than a RD. For us, the lost of Hamonic can provide a huge hole, much more than what people think I believe.

Just to give you an idea how good defenseman are highly value, Mike Bossy recently told on television he met Steve Yzerman during the all star break. He asked to him how his team was going. Yzerman replied that his team had difficulties in front of the net and on defense. And he add, it's impossible to get better on defense because the best defenseman are not available for a trade. So if the Isles decided that Hamonic is available, you can bet that his value will be much higher than you think.

A D roster player has to go and it may not have to be Hammer if the team values him that much. You do realize Isles can't protect that many D and WILL LOSE someone to Vegas for nothing. They have to make a decision somehow between Hammer, CDH and Hickey because they are going to keep Leddy and JB and they may even choose to keep only 3 D if they want to protect 5 F. The expansion draft has that kind of impact. In any other year you would not trade a roster D but this year is different. If you can somehow use that D and get a really good 2nd line center back why not do it? Carter was a 2nd line center who was one of the key reasons that won 2 SC for the Kings. Now you may also have to consider which Isles forward is going to protect as well - if 4 then you are going to likely lose one of Lee/Nelson/Strome as well because they will have to protect JT and AL and likely Bailey the way he has played this year. The question is not whether they should make a deal but with which team and if Avs have the best players available. The problem is that a lot of teams are still hunting for a playoff spot and likely will not trade their top 6 and top 2 D but only prospect/picks and maybe a walking UFA and the pick/prospect likely will not help Isles in any way soon.

Also have you ever watched MD in the Olympics and this past World Cup? He did not get outshone by JT in those tournaments. He played just as well. He is not playing well this year likely due to AVs team's direction toward a rebuild. He is a total different player when he has a chance to win. The talent has not declined but maybe his motivation has playing for a losing team. Do not forget that he also beat JT out for the Calder award. Also like to remind that Isles have easier travel schedules (as most Eastern teams do) and not playing in a mile high city which can take a toll on the athletes over the season.

If honestly I think Isles can beat Pens, Caps or Habs in a 7 game playoff series, I will keep all important roster players and do not make a move. However their chance of making the playoff is not all that high and I can't think that with the current roster they can measure up to a power house like Pens this year. No do not expect them to win the Cup this year as they still have too many areas need improvement - a consistent PP production, face-off win %. goal production and good clean fast transitions. Also they are now an average speed team without enough top 6 who can put pucks in the net. Even you have the best coach behind the net, it will be realistically tough to go past 2 rounds even if they make the playoff.

The trade is for next season, opportunity to improve the team and asset management. However I will not give up on Barzal and Bellows too soon and maybe even some of their D depth. Avs need desperately to improve their D so very highly unlikely they will trade any of their young D with top potentials. It does not serve their purpose to make such deal. If they prefer LD to RD then it got to be either CDH or Hickey who has adequate NHL experience. It is more likely that Avs will not be happy with what Isles is offering and it is true that they are not desperate to make a deal any time soon and there is no need for them to sell their 2nd best forward short. i am not an Avs fan but I can see their point.

Last edited:

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
A D roster has to go and it may not have to Hammer if the team value him that much. You do realize Isles can't protect that many D and WILL LOSE someone to Vegas for nothing. They have to make a decision somehow between Hammer, CDH and Hickey because they are going to keep Leddy and JB and they may even choose to keep only 3 D if they want to protect 5 F. The expansion draft has that kind of impact. In any other year you would not trade a roster D but this year is different. If you can somehow use that D and get a really good 2nd line center back why not do it? Carter was a 2nd line center who was one of the key reasons that won 2 SC for the Kings.

Also have you ever watched MD in the Olympics and this past World Cup? He did not get outshone by JT in those tournaments. He played just as well. He is not playing well this year likely due to AVs team's direction toward a rebuild. He is a total different player when he has a chance to win. The talent has not declined but maybe his motivation has playing for a losing team. Do not forget that he also beat JT out for the Calder award. Also do not forget that Isles have easier travel schedules and not playing in a mile high city which can take a toll on the athletes over the season.
All i said is if you have to offer Hamonic or Leddy for Duchene, you should not add the package of Nelson + Beauvillier + 1st! This is way way too much. Hamonic have more value than you think. You can add a player like Strome to Hamonic if you think Hamonic is not enough but not much more than that. If we believe what Steve Yzerman said to Mike Bossy, the good defensemen are not on the trade market, so their value is certainly higher of what you can think. Duchene, while a very good player, is not Joe Sakic.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Hamonic does not have value. Only islander fans think he's actually really good...he's not. If they could have traded him they would have.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hamonic does not have value. Only islander fans think he's actually really good...he's not. If they could have traded him they would have.

dude-wtf.jpg

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
A long way to go, but presuming Beau keeps it up and stays in the lineup, seems like next season he has a bonafide roster spot. But, where in the lineup? Who is the odd man/men out?

I'm probably the biggest Prince fan but he's most likely the 13th man. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beau as a second line forward next year, really depends on who makes the squad though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
A long way to go, but presuming Beau keeps it up and stays in the lineup, seems like next season he has a bonafide roster spot. But, where in the lineup? Who is the odd man/men out?

Third line.

Strome out, Barzal in, Prince and Quine vie for 12th forward position. With injuries, you need to be 14-15 forwards deep and Dal Colle (14) and Ho-Sang (15) in Bridgeport give you that.

If you can move Nelson + for a more legitimate top six forward, you do it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I just LOVE this kid's game. Simply love it. He's figuring out the NHL game, but he's the type of player who will do everything well if not great. I cannot wait until a few years from now when he fills out and rounds out into a complete player. To me he'll be a superb 2nd line/two way forward who gives 100% every shift and is a great teammate.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'm just concerned that his offensive game will being in the NHL so young. Not sure if he's ready from an offensive standpoint.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just LOVE this kid's game. Simply love it. He's figuring out the NHL game, but he's the type of player who will do everything well if not great. I cannot wait until a few years from now when he fills out and rounds out into a complete player. To me he'll be a superb 2nd line/two way forward who gives 100% every shift and is a great teammate.

One thing nobody mentions about him, or least I haven't seen it, is that he doesn't put himself in bad positions. Usually young players try and do some moves that worked in juniors and get absolutely crushed, Beauvillier doesn't do that. He protects himself pretty well, very mature.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
The Islanders are a funny organization. I stumbled upon a show at RDS where Anthony Beauvillier was the guest. The interview took place in Beauvillier's apartment in Westbury. The interviewers (they are two including former NHL player André Roy) asked him how he felt when he learned he was making the team "officially". Well, he knew it by receiving a letter! The coach did not call him in his office to tell him in person. The letter said that he had until the 28th of November to find an apartment without which he would have to pay the hotel himself (which is not much with the wages he makes). But I found it quite surprising that a player learns that he officially makes the team by receiving a letter! And André Roy too was quite surprised by that.

Could this be another proof that Capuano had little to say when it came time to choose the players of the team?
I may be wrong but I think it sounds more like a decision by Garth Snow to keep Beauvillier than a Capuano decision especially when you're not going to say it yourself to a 19 yo rookie he made the team...

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
This just isn't true... Like at all.

Maybe I am being hard on the Hammer, but there is a reason garth ahs tried to move him for over a year and still hasn't been able to. We like his grit and his passion but realistically he has probably come close to hitting his ceiling

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Maybe I am being hard on the Hammer, but there is a reason garth ahs tried to move him for over a year and still hasn't been able to. We like his grit and his passion but realistically he has probably come close to hitting his ceiling

It's because he wanted more than Hall for Hamonic, which for as great as he is, is not worth more than Taylor Hall.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
30 point pace while averaging 12.5 minutes and bouncing in and out the lineup (without powerplay time) as a 19 year old.

He's one guy that I have no clue what he's going to top out at.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
30 point pace while averaging 12.5 minutes and bouncing in and out the lineup (without powerplay time) as a 19 year old.

He's one guy that I have no clue what he's going to top out at.

You have been high on him... and I think you are right... I see a Benoit Hogue type 2nd line forward, but this guy is so determined, you can tell that he hates to lose, and that is something that will prevent any regression

In today's NHL he could be a 50-60 point guy within 3-4 years, it is that determination and he is very strong for a kid.

In all honesty I think we are still alive because of him.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
You have been high on him... and I think you are right... I see a Benoit Hogue type 2nd line forward, but this guy is so determined, you can tell that he hates to lose, and that is something that will prevent any regression

In today's NHL he could be a 50-60 point guy within 3-4 years, it is that determination and he is very strong for a kid.

In all honesty I think we are still alive because of him.

Yea, there really is no Cap on AB's potential. Such a big penaty shot goal last night. He showed skill and poise as a 19 year old kid. One thing is for sure, he was coached well as a kid. I can see a top 6 fixture for years or a buzzing annoying 3rd /4th liner for years. The great thing is this kid works and has a great attitude it looks like. He may will himself to become that top 6 for years. who the heck knows....

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The beauty of AB is that he can play anywhere. He doesn't have the obvious skill of JHS but he's just a damn good hockey player who can play anywhere in the lineup - 1st - 4th line and either Wing or Center. He's only 19 so he has yet to develop his man strength. Once he does, he can take his game to another level. And even now you see him and JHS battling hard for the puck in the corners. He's not a pest per se, but he doesn't back down either. He mixed it up with Streit an it last night. I wonder if it was in French.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The beauty of AB is that he can play anywhere. He doesn't have the obvious skill of JHS but he's just a damn good hockey player who can play anywhere in the lineup - 1st - 4th line and either Wing or Center. He's only 19 so he has yet to develop his man strength. Once he does, he can take his game to another level. And even now you see him and JHS battling hard for the puck in the corners. He's not a pest per se, but he doesn't back down either. He mixed it up with Streit an it last night. I wonder if it was in French.

The kid is showing that he's a player, very exciting to have him and Ho-Sang showing well at the NHL level. Remember that he's shown really good chemistry with Barzal in the past and I think they are close friends too, a really good sign about his hockey IQ, adaptability, and ability to mesh well with his linemates. His development gives us some major options, along with his expansion exempt status and 2 years remaining on his ELC.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Methinks we will be eternally grateful to one Mr. Peter Chiarelli....Beau AND Barzal for Griffin Reinhart !!!! Good to be on the right side of those lopsided trades for once.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The kid is showing that he's a player, very exciting to have him and Ho-Sang showing well at the NHL level. Remember that he's shown really good chemistry with Barzal in the past and I think they are close friends too, a really good sign about his hockey IQ, adaptability, and ability to mesh well with his linemates. His development gives us some major options, along with his expansion exempt status and 2 years remaining on his ELC.

Excellent point PW. I feel Barzal and Beauvillier need to be played together. I know people have been talking about Ho-Sang and Barzal together, but I don't see the point. Their skillets are too similar and it's best to spread the wealth.

I'd really like to see this next year...

Ladd-Tavares-Ho-Sang
Lee-Barzal-Beauvillier
Chimera-Strome-Bailey
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad