Post-Game Talk: Another day, another 1 goal loss (5-4 Sens in SO)

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I am still amazed how the GDT never went to a second thread like it always did on a saturday game. It seems like a continuation of last season where a lot of fans tuned out. I realize the team is most likely not going to be very good but I thought people were excited about the new coach and seeing how this season would go.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
My greatest wish: to read something Leafs related and not read about Phil. holy freaking smokes.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I am still amazed how the GDT never went to a second thread like it always did on a saturday game. It seems like a continuation of last season where a lot of fans tuned out. I realize the team is most likely not going to be very good but I thought people were excited about the new coach and seeing how this season would go.

Keep in mind that this is Thanksgiving weekend so a lot of people will be off doing the family thing.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Maybe you should follow the conversation. I'd wager Kessel is a + player this year
Hyperglide posted that Kessel - generally speaking, over his career - is a net negative in terms of goals for vs. goals against. Citing a two-game sample over which Kessel was a +1 falls short of discrediting that claim for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that his career +/- is way, way below 0.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hyperglide posted that Kessel - generally speaking, over his career - is a net negative in terms of goals for vs. goals against. Citing a two-game sample over which Kessel was a +1 falls short of discrediting that claim for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that his career +/- is way, way below 0.

Kessel was +23 the year prior coming to the Leafs. Now as a (hopefully) rational adult, could you tell me which one is more likely:

A) Phil was a great defensive player as a Bruin, but forgot to play D as a Leaf.
B) +/- is a team stat, not a player stat.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He's spent the majority of his career playing for awful Leaf team after awful Leaf team . Look at his year with Boston when they were actually half-decent (he had a plus raining).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Kessel was +23 the year prior coming to the Leafs. Now as a (hopefully) rational adult, could you tell me which one is more likely:

A) Phil was a great defensive player as a Bruin, but forgot to play D as a Leaf.

it's a team stat based on the play of a group of individuals , Phil will be a plus if the players around him are strong enough to cover for his flaws

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015

Yeah, another one of the reasons it falls short of discrediting the claim that Kessel is a net negative is that +/- is basically useless as a tool for player evaluation and proves nothing either way. I just figured it'd make more sense to use Donny Bomby's own line of reasoning to show that, even if +/- were relevant, it would only support Hyperglide's point, not refute it.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, another one of the reasons it falls short of discrediting the claim that Kessel is a net negative is that +/- is basically useless as a tool for player evaluation and proves nothing either way. I just figured it'd make more sense to use Donny Bomby's own line of reasoning to show that, even if +/- were relevant, it would only support Hyperglide's point, not refute it.

Phil being +1 while the Penguins only have 1 goal shows that Kessel hasn't been on for any goals against while in Pittsburgh. His lack of defense is not what's causing them to be bad, and is in no way evidence to support that he's a bad player. I'm hugely against using +/- to judge a player, but in this case it works to show one particular point.

Mentioning his career +/- is just name calling.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Sometimes when I'm enjoying a game, I put down my computer & just watch it.

My greatest wish: to read something Leafs related and not read about Phil. holy freaking smokes.

Yup. I don't know how people do it, but if I had to watch his pouty mug much anymore I would lose it.

If ya'all want to continue the Phil love-in, go join the Pittsburgh forums & you guys can all form a nice tight circle & talk about him as much as you want.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Who was Grabner playing with last night? I watched the game out of the corner of my eye last night and didn't notice him once.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

I implore you to bring your "net negative" theory to the main forums. You'll be laughed at.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I was at the game with my dad last night and I can say first hand as soon as we were down 3-0, the building went quiet. Huge amount of respect for the leafs fighting their way back.

After the 1st goal was scored by lupul (great shot btw) the building came alive and you could see the leafs playing better immediately after.

What I took from the game is that a lot of our players were playing and being dominant on the ice. I was most impressed with Bozak as he really was noticeable every time he went on the ice. He was great on draws and also you could see him being involved physically, defensively, and offensively. Great game and a very good surprise to see him play so well.

JVR was my big disappointment of the night with constant turnovers, lazy plays, and his offence was almost non-existent.

Overall, I'm just happy I got to see some goals scored.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The team deserved at least that single point for effort and if not for an outstanding 1st period by goalie Anderson Leafs could have won this one.
If it was not for that play on Bozak right before the end of the 3rd period, I say he has a tap in goal and this game doesn't even go to overtime.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
I implore you to bring your "net negative" theory to the main forums. You'll be laughed at.
I was just tempted by the demeanour of Donny Bomby's post to point out what I saw as a very obvious flaw in his response, although reading back now, I'm noticing that I did overlook an implication in Hyperglide's post that the Penguins' 0-2-0 record necessarily related to Kessel's poor defensive efforts and can kinda see what Donny was getting at.

In any case, you could just as easily construe that as an attempt to help make a better case against the 'net negative theory' by weeding out crappy arguments as you could a defense of it. After watching every game Kessel played in for over half a decade, I have to admit I'm intuitively inclined to think that he probably is a 'net negative', but I haven't done the research to really have much of an idea either way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad