Post-Game Talk: Another day, another 1 goal loss (5-4 Sens in SO)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What really impressed me, was that this was the second game of a back to back, and the effort was still there. They pretty much played 60 minutes of Hockey once they got going.

yup. you knew if it was last year, it would have been like 5-0/6-1 or something because they flat out gave up.

Babcock was basically walking the bench saying don't give up, and they really weren't. and maybe this is something what Mats13 was saying - i'm not rooting for losses per se - but if these are the losses we're getting, I'll be happy. at least try - if you lost, you lost, but there is nothing about this game that would make you facepalm after the fact and go that was pathetic. Sure. a miss shot here, stone hands, there, or whatever, but they tried.

that's all we really ever wanted. (at this point).

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
yup. you knew if it was last year, it would have been like 5-0/6-1 or something because they flat out gave up.

Babcock was basically walking the bench saying don't give up, and they really weren't. and maybe this is something what Mats13 was saying - i'm not rooting for losses per se - but if these are the losses we're getting, I'll be happy. at least try - if you lost, you lost, but there is nothing about this game that would make you facepalm after the fact and go that was pathetic. Sure. a miss shot here, stone hands, there, or whatever, but they tried.

that's all we really ever wanted. (at this point).

Yup, and the cycle game...we have a cycle game!! Finish will come in time; I am just happy (amazed?) to see my team playing hockey again!

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
Really enjoyed Phaneuf's post game interview. It's the most confident and articulate interview that I can remember for him.

Very entertaining game. Looking forward to the next one, which is almost weird...lol

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Was a rocket snapper post and in, vintage Kessel style, streaking down the right wing. With him gone there is literally no exciting players on this team. This is what our team would have looked like for a couple years if we didn't trade for Kessel. Going to need some patience for the boring team we have now.
That's the thing. Phil was worth the price of admission himself.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
Great loss! Can't wait to watch the next one.

I'm not even joking really. What a fun game to watch. Sorry they didn't get the win but they just can't put a puck home. It's not for lack of chances.

Gardiner and Rielly need to continue to improve and Komarov needs to put the biscuit in the basket.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Feels really bad man :(

How did we not score in OT

The team played well. Ottawa made a couple of blunders coughing up the puck directly to Lupul for his goal and allowing Bozak to get behind their defenders on the stretch pass for the 2nd goal.

But we did play a good game overall tonight. I thought Komarov & Winnick had strong games. Boyes didn't look bad either and Bozak was feeding him with some nice passes.

Ottawa's top line is potent with Turris, Stone and Hoffman and they had the superior skill set going for them in the shootout. That was the difference.

Last edited:

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I love how everyone is talking about missing Kessel. Well look at Pittsburgh's record right now. He might be a flashy player and score nice goals but even though he can pot 40 a year he's still a net negative. The other team plays 5-4 whenever he's on the ice and in the defensive zone.

The Leafs while being more boring are a lot more coherent and play a better team game now that he's gone. The Leafs will have trouble scoring game breaker goals and finishing but at least now they won't get hemmed in their own zone for 20 minutes a game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Coming back from being 3-0 down is not something we had seen very often last year. When the game score got out of hand generally the team decided to quit and just go through the motions.

However yesterday it was please to see they didn't quit and give up but rather battle hard and rally back to tie it up 3-3 and then again
4-4 before OT.

The team deserved at least that single point for effort and if not for an outstanding 1st period by goalie Anderson Leafs could have won this one.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Am I the only one who is just watching for the entertainment? I have no expectations for this team this year which I guess makes these losses way easier to take. I wasn't even mad last night, great comeback by the team. I could go over all the issues this team has like the goaltending and the defence but hey they worked hard tied it late and had numerous chances in OT to end it.

Move on to Friday

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I love how everyone is talking about missing Kessel. Well look at Pittsburgh's record right now. He might be a flashy player and score nice goals but even though he can pot 40 a year he's still a net negative. The other team plays 5-4 whenever he's on the ice and in the defensive zone.

The Leafs while being more boring are a lot more coherent and play a better team game now that he's gone. The Leafs will have trouble scoring game breaker goals and finishing but at least now they won't get hemmed in their own zone for 20 minutes a game.

Lmao. Kessels a +1 and Pittsburgh has let in 4 goals in 2 games.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Was a rocket snapper post and in, vintage Kessel style, streaking down the right wing. With him gone there is literally no exciting players on this team. This is what our team would have looked like for a couple years if we didn't trade for Kessel. Going to need some patience for the boring team we have now.

which in time will be a way better team than what we've ever had with Kessel on it. It's going to take time but this team is going to be crazy good in a few years with the talent in the minors and in junior..Add in possibly another top 3-5 pick in this year's draft with the rest of the assets we will get at the TDL and a few years with Babcock with these kids...look out the future is bright. And I say that will all honesty. I think right now we can handle the losing, the kids are cooking and getting ready down with the Marlies and eventually this team is going to start developing year in and year out our own talent.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Coming back from being 3-0 down is not something we had seen very often last year. When the game score got out of hand generally the team decided to quit and just go through the motions.

However yesterday it was please to see they didn't quit and give up but rather battle hard and rally back to tie it up 3-3 and then again
4-4 before OT.

The team deserved at least that single point for effort and if not for an outstanding 1st period by goalie Anderson Leafs could have won this one.

I agree, if this team keeps up this work ethic and doesn't give up when we get down a few goals, this can be a very interesting year.

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013

Wow, you gave them a whole two games to jump to conclusions? Well what other conclusions can we come to - I guess McDaigle's a bust, and the Leafs haven't won a single game without Kessel, so it's all very confusing.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
It would have been nice for Boyes to win it in OT on the breakaway.

Oh well, it was a good game at least.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
After a stinker of a first period, that was one of the most exciting games I've ever been to.

We're not gonna see a barn burner like that every game, but I can't imagine anyone who says this team is boring actually tuned in last night.

Lupul was buzzing, Komarov had chance after chance, Bozak looked great, Kadri was feisty, and Gardiner and Rielly both took opportunities to show off their skating and poise with the puck. Winnik's play so far has been so awesome to see, I'm glad we have him back for another tour.

The 3-on-3 was a ton of fun to watch, and as cool as it was to see my first live shootout, I'd be much happier to see a longer OT period decide games than a breakaway challenge.

The biggest negative for me right now is Marincin, I haven't liked him at all early on. I'm not sure if Harrington was sent down or if he was a healthy scratch, but I was pretty confused when I found out that he wasn't dressed and Marincin was. It was so nice to see someone actually clearing the crease in that first game against Montreal, and he played a really safe game.

But the rest of the D has looked pretty good so far this year, which is more than can be said of several of the last seasons. They seem really smart on the pinch, and haven't been too afraid to rush the puck and join in on the play. The forwards have been working harder to get back and give support, and it seems to be working.

All in all, it was a tough loss, but you really can't be upset about the outcome when it's just that much fun to watch. I can't wait to see more games like this one.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

4-4 before OT.

not since 2010 lmao :yo:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Exactly the games Toronto needs to play.

1) We lose, so our tank effort is still successful. SO losses are better than wins in shootout (where our players wouldn't get points).
2) We racked up a good number of points for our players to build their values.
3) Reimer had a pretty good game despite his stats not showing it. He could do little about what he gave up.
4) Lots of effort tonight and despite there still being some defensive breakdowns, it was a whole lot better than the past two games.

The defense also got a lot better. Still broke down at times, but no matter what we do, it's going to happen with these players. This time we kept it to a minimum at least. The top 4 was actually pretty good, and I'm harsh on Hunwick. He's doing a lot better with Rielly, as long as they don't get stuck in the defensive zone.

Forward lines still need to groove. We need to juggle those around a little bit so we can score more consistently. It seems like the bottom 6 and the PP were the only ones able to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad