Post-Game Talk: Another craptacular display: Sens 5-2 win

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This team may not win until November 2nd against the flyers. Seriously.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Nope the system isn't really meshing anymore. Aside from Deboer's personnel choices, I think this system isn't the right one for the team anymore. That's not really his fault but if he doesn't have an answer to adjust to it, I think it will probably call for a coaching change.

I'm far beyond tired of these 30, 35, 40, 42, shot games, and having zero, one, or two goals to show for it.

I'm tired of winning the corsi/fenwick/possession battle. I wanna win some god damn games.

It's definitely frustrating and very difficult to watch. If it weren't for this sense of obligation that I feel to watch these games, I'd honestly rather be doing something else. It's not fun anymore. It hasn't been fun for months. it's not so much the losses as it is this constant feeling like you're watching the same game over and over and over again. There is just no progress with this group. You get the feeling that they're always stuck in neutral.

Something is going to give one way or another. You just hope something gets accomplished along the way. 7 games in and they have basically all been a waste imho.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's definitely frustrating and very difficult to watch. If it weren't for this sense of obligation that I feel to watch these games, I'd honestly rather be doing something else. It's not fun anymore. It hasn't been fun for months. Honestly, it's not so much the losses as it is this constant feeling like you're watching the same game over and over and over again. There is just no progress with this group. You get the feeling that they're always stuck in neutral.

Something is going to give one way or another. You just hope something gets accomplished one way or another. 7 games in and they have basically all been a waste imho.
I've actually enjoyed watching the games because the offseason is boring for me. I actually hated the 3 night break this week, but these games are pretty frustrating, and probably not good for my health.:laugh::laugh:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I've actually enjoyed watching the games because the offseason is boring for me. I actually hated the 3 night break this week, but these games are pretty frustrating, and probably not good for my health.:laugh::laugh:

I don't miss hockey these days. Not when the team is playing like this. Coming into the game tonight, I never really thought they were going to win it. But you kind of hope that maybe they'll surprise you or something and have a good night for a change. Then you get 5 minutes into the game and you realize it's not going to happen.

They either get blown out or they hang around long enough to either lose late in the third or in the ot / shootout. That's all it is.

Look at it this way, try to remember the last big win this team had without thinking about it too much. It's basically impossible. They've been awful for way too long now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't miss hockey these days. Not when the team is playing like this. Coming into the game tonight, I never really thought they were going to win it. But you kind of hope that maybe they'll surprise you or something and have a good night for a change. Then you get 5 minutes into the game and you realize it's not going to happen.

They either get blown out or they hang around long enough to either lose late in the third or in the ot / shootout. That's all it is.

Look at it this way, try to remember the last big win this team had without thinking about it too much. It's basically impossible. They've been awful for way too long now.
The last big win? Maybe that 6-2 beating we laid on Florida in April? That probably doesn't count though. Florida was icing mostly their AHL team, and we were pretty much all but mathematically eliminated from playoff contention by then anyway.

I'm going with the back to back wins over Pittsburgh last February.:help:

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The last big win? Maybe that 6-2 beating we laid on Florida in April? That probably doesn't count though. Florida was icing mostly their AHL team, and we were pretty much all but mathematically eliminated from playoff contention by then anyway.

this was it. the florida game doesn't count, season was finished.

Gotta agree with Tundra about watching the young guys play instead of these old slow pokes. Lou messed up with this whole strategy of "let's get all the vets" when the team is an 8th seed at best. Just dumb.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
This team may not win until November 2nd against the flyers. Seriously.

If they can't muster up 2 points against a bad Ranger team who won't have Callahan and Nash then this ship might be on the verge of being totally under the ocean. Honestly, if they lose Saturday and have the Ranger fans popping the bubbly at the Rock, then I'll be very surprised if Pete isn't thrown down the elevator shaft Monday morning.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
We haven't won't a game since April 25th.

Brodeur has 3 wins in his last 18 starts dating back to March 25th.

Since our back to back wins vs Pitts on Feb 9/10 of last season we've played 43 games and have won 12. Yes TWELVE of them. Only 9 of those have been in regulation. We have NINE regulation wins in our last 43 games played.

This is absolutely unacceptable....

Awful.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
That last Pitt game where Matteau scored is probably the last one but it was an early season game against a rival. Not sure how "big" it was when looking at the big picture.

All you have now is a team going through the motions. There is no teaching. No learning. Young players aren't being developed. Every game, it's either one problem or a combination of problems.

Just hope it breaks soon. There is a ton of season left so it's pretty scary to be feeling like this so early on.

GDDevils*

I know this might not be a popular opinion here but I don't really think Petes system is the problem. (his personnel decisions are another story) Our poor play stems from the loss of Larry Robinson. Sure we won a few games to start last season but then our defense got exposed and the wheels fell off everything. Our offense has been decent, other than the two shut outs, and should have won us at least a game or two.

The real problem is that Scott Stevens was not and is not ready to coach an NHL defense. Almost every play in our zone has me questioning what the hell we're doing, these players didn't just forget how to play defense they were coached that way. How many times would we see two defenseman against the boards on the same side at or above the circle under Robinson? The is answer none. I've seen it at least three times this season and that's from memory without rewatching the games. I'm sure it has happened more. Their positioning, gap control, and breakouts are abysmal. Something has to change.

Larry Robinson was the backbone of this organization for years and his loss, or the failure to adequately replace him, is the cause of our issues now. The problem is will Lou fire/demote Stevens? Pete won't, if he even has that authority, because of Scott's history with the team.

So it's on Lou. Please Lou, I loved Scott Stevens as much as anyone. But he can't do the job we need right now. Bring in someone who can repair this broken defense and maybe salvage the season.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
The kids looked pretty good in the preseason. Then the season started and we haven't won since.

And I agree we aren't physical enough, Henrique was knocked down like someone was making a mockery of him in this game.

Once the season started, the kids didn't play together like they had been. Gelinas, Merrill were sent down. Two of Tedenby, Josefson, Loktionov were scratched at a time, Larsson got benched, lost his confidence, and is playing afraid out there. Fayne? Just unfair. Pete needs to play the kids, for them to grow, and for their speed/skill.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Brodeur did have a bad game, but I didn't see the team play well in front of him either until they grew a pair and tried to claw back. I just saw a Sens team that didn't have to try against us too hard, a team that *knew* they were going to win for the first half of the game.

Anderson did do a good job too and our guys seriously have no puck luck, some of those chances were easy goals and Anderson somehow stopped them.

Especially that one by Jagr! :amazed:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The Buffalo come from behind win (two goals in the last few minutes) was pretty big at the time, it stopped our first long losing streak, and we had our only 'hot' streak after that - three wins in four games.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Lou MUST trade the aged and over the hill vets this trading deadline.
No more excuses.

He could have received decent draft pick return last year for Zids, Clarkson and possibly Sal too.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Lou MUST trade the aged and over the hill vets this trading deadline.
No more excuses.

He could have received decent draft pick return last year for Zids, Clarkson and possibly Sal too.

Are you out of your mind, you don't trade players when you're in the middle of a cup run are just scrambling to make the playoffs.

You miss out on the playoffs, lose assets for free, sign a bunch of over the hill veterans to contracts that will eventually burn you (cough CLOWE cough), keep a couple of ECHL'ers on your 20 men roster, say you're thinking about playing certain rookies only for the same person to resign every single d-men we had last year leaving zero spots for our rookies while giving the opportunity to our HC to healthy scratch someone that was playing top #4 minutes for us the past several seasons.

Now that sounds like a plan right there.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I now this losing streak sucks. But if you looks at last night's game objectively, a team should not lose giving up 22 shots, taking over 40 and limiting the number of high quality scoring chances.

I agree with PDB that the play was much improved (minus a certain 41 yr old netminder). I would like to see Volch out for Fayne and I hope Tedenby is not benched, because I liked his crafty game.

Regarding Volchenkov: the subtle thing I think gets missed is that he's late to plays. So it may not seem like he's getting burned but he's not pressuring the other team. A good d-man will have great positioning, gap control and force the other team into making a bad pass, dump, failed move, etc. He's blocking shots as always, but he's late and that means nothing gets done for the 4 other people playing with him.

Mory Schneideur*

Especially that one by Jagr! :amazed:

I don't know how that didn't go in, Anderson did a nice job with that one. But even the chances in the PP in the first, I don't know how those didn't get stuffed in, Anderson looked beatable at that point.

Mory Schneideur*

Last week i still said this is not Macleanish, but its declinign towards it. Firing Deboer will be the only option if they get routed by the Rags.

No where near MacLean bad, that was a total ging show. I give some credit that players are doing things right, just not for a full 60 mins.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

After Tedenby's penalty, I honestly taught his career as a NJD was over cause DeBoer was going to send him to Trenton or something.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The bloom is off the Lokti rose at this point, he's done absolutely nothing since his first dozen or so games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad