Post-Game Talk: Another collapse

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Top line didn't show up last night. I thought the 2nd and 3rd line were very good. I wonder if we run 11-7 in game 2 since Vinny did kind of look gassed last game

Top line had 60% shot share. They dominated- just couldn’t finish. That was against the Dandenault (sp) line too on an off McDavid night.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nah. He's got that glare like he's a second away from snapping at Spector.

It's Kassian crazy eyes except his outlet isn't Tkachuk it's dominating the game, and his fuel isn't perceived lack of respect for safety of his teammates but lack of respect in terms of his abilities and the fact that he's the best. McDavid is wired very much like Jordan. Both absurdly competitive but relatively quiet and unassuming...

But you watch that video I posted, did McDavid not go out there and score 64 to slight Matthews after he won the Hart by scoring 60?

Midway through the video Jordan talks about having a guard make him look silly in a playoff game. "This is a guy I'm supposed to dominate. And I didn't. But after that point I dominated him." That's McDavid and Danault. Difference is you hear Jordan taking retrospectively and with 40 years of wisdom, and right now McDavid is in it.
Amazing to me. 17 seconds from winning a game they deserved to win and the wheels seemingly fall off for some fans in how they perceive, view or even value McDavid. This guy burns with intensity. We know from this from his lifetime training over and above mere mortal peers; he ripped this league a new one with a historic season; and has only talked about winning team championships over his own history creating personal success.

The big difference between those that play this game at elite level and us as passengers in the cheap seats is their ability to compartmentalize and keep in perspective the grind required to win games and a belief system in self, team, and coaching process. It's going to require a full team to beat a very close rival with a frustrating style. But fold my cards in believing in McDavid. Never, nada, zilch. I'll save the pseudo psych evaluation for something else haha.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
The big difference between those that play this game at elite level and us as passengers in the cheap seats is their ability to compartmentalize and keep in perspective the grind required to win games and a belief system in self, team, and coaching process. It's going to require a full team to beat a very close rival with a frustrating style. But fold my cards in believing in McDavid. Never, nada, zilch. I'll save the pseudo psych evaluation for something else haha.
Part of that Athletic article talks about McDavid doing a better job of balancing his hockey focus with life and how it probably has helped him excel on the ice and not get too upset when things are not going the way he would like.

Obviously can still get super intense as shown when he first missed his chance at 60 goals (only to score seconds later) but does sound like some of that maturation that comes with age/experience.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Part of that Athletic article talks about McDavid doing a better job of balancing his hockey focus with life and how it probably has helped him excel on the ice and not get too upset when things are not going the way he would like.

Obviously can still get super intense as shown when he first missed his chance at 60 goals (only to score seconds later) but does sound like some of that maturation that comes with age/experience.
Haven't read the Athletic article. It sounds interesting. The thing with McDavid is ... well ... he's human. But he's literally grown up in a glaring spotlight at a very young age when his prodigious talent (underscored by the more hidden from view insatiable work ethic) yet has handled the pressure of a Canadian Hockey God with grace and humility. So when we get a peak at the fire within, whether banging a stick at his frustration of himself or a very rare heated bench exchange with a line mate who can't play at top line thinking requirement (Puljujarvi), it can be a bit jarring.

McDavid is never going to talk the big game. He's going to just go out and play the big game. We all knew this would likely be a close series and that's what we got in game 1. The Oil as a team took a slight wobble back in not closing out the final 17 seconds of a game they held in their hand for the great majority of it.

Reactions: ujju2

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Our best bet is to forget the officiating entirely. We should be a good enough team - especially when we can line match at home - to take the game entirely out of the refs hands.

Keep the lines rolling and do exactly what we did in the latter half of the season and we’re a tough out for any team.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers started playing scared the moment Skinner let in the backhand goal. We really need to address our goaltending next season
That was an all-world backhand from a guy that scored 40 goals this season. Not only will the Oilers not address their goaltending this summer, they probably won't even add one to the farm system. Their goalies are set for the long haul.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That was an all-world backhand from a guy that scored 40 goals this season. Not only will the Oilers not address their goaltending this summer, they probably won't even add one to the farm system. Their goalies are set for the long haul.
The only person to blame for that goal was McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad