Post-Game Talk: Another collapse

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The worst part about this is we threw a game away with Vilardi and Fiala out. Vilardi might play next game which is a big boost for them and Fiala is back soon. If we can’t even bank wins with them out, yikesy
Oilers seem to do this all the time. Like they don't even notice other teams have players missing. Deserves to be said too that Arviddson was the best supporting type player on either side. The Oilers had no effort down the lineup like he gave. Kings didn't have Arviddson last post season. he got injured leading up.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The turn around in the game was the 2-1 goal. The one Mcd caused. Sorry, it was. Another turn around was Bouchard straight up highsticking somebody in the face with two mins left, intentionally. I mean who does that. Its just stupid all day. I get the frustration but...

The bright side there is if there is any player in the league that will bounce back and bounce back hard is McDavid.

One way to frame the loss last night, courtesy of my favorite resident Kings fan @Raccoon Jesus , McDavid will only be held pointless and -2 once MAYBE twice in a 7 games series.

If the Kings didn't capitalize on that kind of outing from 97 they're dead men walking. We're talking about a guy whose been pointless for two consecutive games only 3 times in his career. You know he'll bring it extra tomorrow.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Looked at the OT goal again, the Oil have to be aggressive with play immediately after face-offs. Kings are pouncing on those pucks even when losing draws.
Yup.
That is a major reason why the Kings are so tough to play against.

Its a 60 minute battle on every puck. The Oilers have to be prepared to engage in that battle for the entire game.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The bright side there is if there is any player in the league that will bounce back and bounce back hard is McDavid.

One way to frame the loss last night, courtesy of my favorite resident Kings fan @Raccoon Jesus , McDavid will only be held pointless and -2 once MAYBE twice in a 7 games series.

If the Kings didn't capitalize on that kind of outing from 97 they're dead men walking. We're talking about a guy whose been pointless for two consecutive games only 3 times in his career. You know he'll bring it extra tomorrow.

And even THAT was a small miracle due to bounces

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
There could be an eye in the sky in the stands. Every section. Its getting to that. I think everybody driving with dashcams kind of hilite that too. sigh.

I'm print screening the thread. y'all were warned, lol, jk

Some easy listening music to calm people down.

One of my favorites. Some songs from back then gets me emotional and this is one of them. Someone put up a meme here that said:

" I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them.” .

Thanks a lot for this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

On the other hand though the Oilers got two Drai goals that were directly off Kings players and they got a seeing eye shot from Bouchard going bar in. Those were their 3. 3 of the Kings goals were well executed plays and Skinner not even close to stopping them.

Drai didn't receive one good feed from his linemates last night. Not a one. Closest thing was a pass from Janmark bouncing off a King directly to Drai. His other goal was Kopitar throwing the puck into the corner, and it bounces off a leg and RIGHT to an open spot where Drai pounces on it. Point is we got bounces AND lost.

Conversely McD didn't use his linemates. Hardly at all.

A lot looked out of sync.

Sure McD will be better. He has to.

Doesn't much matter. Kings already got the split regardless.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
On the other hand though the Oilers got two Drai goals that were directly off Kings players and they got a seeing eye shot from Bouchard going bar in. Those were their 3. 3 of the Kings goals were well executed plays and Skinner not even close to stopping them.

Point is Drai didn't recieve one good feed from his linemates last night. Not a one. Closest thing was a pass from Janmark bouncing off a King directly to Drai.

Conversely McD didn't use his linemates. Hardly at all.

A lot looked out of sync.

Sure McD will be better. He has to.

Doesn't much matter. Kings already got the split regardless.

I think he'll be a lot better. Watch his interview today, the look on his face personifies "and I took that personally."

You can just see that fire and intensity. It bodes well I think.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think he'll be a lot better. Watch his interview today, the look on his face personifies "and I took that personally."

You can just see that fire and intensity. It bodes well I think.

i don't doubt the fire is there. Its McDavid. Its redhot intense. Sometimes the fire don't burn ideally. I've seen McD get frustrated before. Usually its good results, but sometimes backfire. In playoffs its a whole other ball game. Opponents stiffer.

Generally speaking I feel that Drai has been the better playoff persona. Something in him is more congruent to the task. Does McD get TOO fired up? In first period he looked like a ball being shot out of a pinball throttle. Drew a couple penalties and then had no real effect. looked like McD trying to break plays on his own. Its easier doing that in regular season.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone else think Tmac completely baited us into playing extra physical? Kings didn’t seem to focus on the physical game really, they hit mcdavid pretty good one time.

I suspect Todd was playing a sneaky mind game and it worked. I posted this in the gdt either before the game started or in the 1st. Even if he was baiting us though, Oilers were winning the physical battle and didn’t need to cross the line.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
With last night's parade to the penalty box after the Oilers went up 2-0, today I thought it'd be interesting to see how things were called last year.

Ignoring the misconducts and offsetting penalties, here's how last year's first round series against LA went for penalties (powerplays for both teams):

Game 1: 5-5
Game 2: 4-4
Game 3: 4-4
Game 4: 3-3

Series tied 2-2, powerplays were dead even.

Game 5: 3 (EDM) 5 (LA) (LA goes up 3-2)
Game 6: 1 (EDM) 4 (LA) (lol, Gary)
Game 7: 1 (EDM) 0 (LA)

Once the series was a best of three, things changed and LA mysteriously received more than twice the power play advantages in games 5 & 6 alone. In game 6, they received 4 powerplays to Edmonton's 1 (Chris Lee officiating).

In game 7, the refs (who were the best in the series) let the teams decide the series on 5 on 5. Jean Hebert and Chris Rooney did that one.

Call me batshit crazy or a conspiracy theorist or whatever, I don't care but you'll never convince me the league doesn't have an agenda to try and keep Canadian teams from being successful in the playoffs. But without making it obvious as penalties were 9-4 in games 5 & 6, the refs actually reffed the way not just a game 7 but any playoff game should be and let the teams decide it 5 on 5 with just 1 minor called the entire game and it was on LA.

Last edited:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
With last night's parade to the penalty box after the Oilers went up 2-0, today I thought it'd be interesting to see how things were called last year.

Ignoring the misconducts and offsetting penalties, here's how last year's first round series against LA went for penalties (powerplays for both teams):

Game 1: 5-5
Game 2: 4-4
Game 3: 4-4
Game 4: 3-3

Series tied 2-2, powerplays were dead even.

Game 5: 3 (EDM) 5 (LA) (LA goes up 3-2)
Game 6: 1 (EDM) 4 (LA) (lol, Gary)
Game 7: 1 (EDM) 0 (LA)

Once the series was a best of three, things changed and LA mysteriously received more than twice the power play advantages in games 5 & 6 alone. In game 6, they received 4 powerplays to Edmonton's 1 (Chris Lee officiating).

In game 7, the refs (who were the best in the series) let the teams decide the series on 5 on 5. Jean Hebert and Chris Rooney did that one.

Call me batshit crazy or a conspiracy theorist or whatever, I don't care but you'll never convince me the league doesn't have an agenda to try and keep Canadian teams from being successful in the playoffs. The refs kept the whistles in their pockets for game 7 and let the teams decide the outcome with just one penalty called the entire game and it was on LA. But without making it obvious as penalties were 9-4 in games 5 & 6, the refs actually reffed the way not just a game 7 but any playoff game should be and let the teams decide it 5 on 5 with just 1 minor called the entire game and it was on LA.
I look forward to your post about the Georgia Guidestones.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Why can't there be an eye-in-the sky video ref? Like the Deharnais penalty or any penalty for that matter. A quick review down to the refs to possibly overturn any call that are borderline or controversial. Of course that won't happened since it can potentially make the on-ice refs look more inept than they already are.
I’ve been bitching about this to my buddy for years. What harm would there be? Glad I’m not the only one that thinks this way

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I watched the game in Tokyo "last night" (about 11 hours after it occurred). Enjoyable game, with the obvious mass frustration near the end. Somehow, you just knew that the Oilers' first third-period blown lead in three months or whatever would be game one of the playoffs...

Also, how do the Oilers never win (a) game one of series and (b) overtimes at home? Their record in game one's is now 0 - 6 going back to 2017.

The good news is that the Oilers completely dominated at even strength (winning on ES goals), and they were out-Power-Play-chanced six to three, which has to get more even as the series progresses. Also, last year they lost game one by the same score and then went on to out-score L.A.. 14 to 2 in the next two games...

Let's all remember it's a seven-game series. Things will be up and down as we go along.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Man I'm still crushed from last night. Under 10 minutes left and up 3-1, I was selfishly ticking away that 1 win down, 15 to go and getting ready to get to bed at a decent hour in a good mood. And then bam. Overtime. Just angry I had to stay up longer. Then of course trying to go to bed after that took a while. Then the 5:40am alarm goes off and you feel it all day. This whole day was just garbage. Tired. Angry about choking. I'm probably too invested into it but man it would of been a much better couple days if they could of hung on.

Feeling better now, probably because the leafs being the leafs. That cheered me up a bit. Hopefully a big win tomorrow will put me back in a good mood. Skinner needed one more save. Dumb penalties. But that first 40 minutes was very promising. For the love of god just win tommorow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad