Post-Game Talk: Another blown lead. 3-2 OT Flyers

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I can totally understand playing dump and chase with the Kadri and Gauthier line as those are supposed to be our defensive lines, but why the hell doesn't Babcock have a system for the Bozak and Matthews line? Our overpaid 8 million a year egomaniac coach couldn't "put in the work" this off season to design an offensive system to go along with our defensive system? There's no creativity because there's no change. Teams know what we are trying to do and shut us down.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Re: the debate of Possession vs Dump and Chase

It’s almost pointless to have as the style of play is situation and team dependent.

You don’t play the same system every game.

You don’t ask all players to play the same way (Martin vs Matthews)n.

You don’t play the same way in all match ups.

You don’t play the same way in all game situations (defending a lead, special teams, etc).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just saw another angle of the OT goal, I reverse my blame. That is totally on Gardiner (I had put the blame on Nylander last night)

eh, they're both to blame.

but it doesn't matter - that's 3 on 3 hockey.

We got a great chance, didn't score. They got a great chance, scored. That's what happens in 3on3 hockey.

The actual problem is that we're just not scoring goals anymore.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Crosby carries the puck MORE OFTEN THAN NOT instead of dumping it in and then owns people on the boards with his edgework
There were stats posted about this not long ago.

And dear god, Crosby a dump-and-chase player??? There's a monumental difference between a player thriving on the boards and being a dump-and-chase player.

Reactions: PromisedLand

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why the F would a skilled player dump and chase? they have the skill.

how many zone entries did Flyers get relative to dump and chase and then compare it to the Leafs.

Its a JOKE!

Dump and chase is for players like Hyman, Komarov, Martin etc... Who cannot stick handle the friggen puck and carry it

Dump and chase is great when you're the 2011/2013 Boston Bruins with Milan Lucic bearing down on opposing teams' defensmen.

You don't make players like Patrick Kane and Johnny Gaudreau dump and chase. That's a terrific way to ruin their game.

Reactions: PromisedLand

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Sometimes the other team makes good plays. It isn’t like the other team and players aren’t skilled and trying to win.

Reactions: Gallagbi

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Seems almost like a guarantee that the Leafs will pick 16th overall this year in the draft.

That is assuming of course that they start winning games again and don't get passed by Florida, Detroit, or MTL

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Are we regressing? 2nd blown lead in 4 games now.

Gardiner and Nylander needed to communicate there. Gardiner should’ve either pointed for Nylander to go after Couturier or gone after Couturier himself when he saw Nylander closing the gap on Konecny.

I'm watching Dangle now and he's going through the winning goal, and he showed something I forgot to consider.

Nylander was right there with Couturier at the start of that two on one, but abandons him to chase the puck carrier, Konecny.

I blamed Gardiner earlier for not communicating to Nylander to take Couturier, but Nylander was literally right beside his man when the counter-attack started, but chose to chase Konecny instead.

Gardiner still makes a dumb mistake of going after the puck carrier to, but Nylander I feel messed up first by leaving his man to go after Konecny. Gardiner should've still played the pass when he recognized Nylander was essentially putting him into a two on one position, but he shouldn't have been placed there in the first place.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs have comparable (superior even to Chicago offensively) talent to Pittsburgh, but are trying to play a Boston/LA circa 2011-2013 game. It's a travesty.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Gardiner still makes a dumb mistake of going after the puck carrier to, but Nylander I feel messed up first by leaving his man to go after Konecny. Gardiner should've still played the pass when he recognized Nylander was essentially putting him into a two on one position, but he shouldn't have been placed there in the first place.
This is a good summary, Nylander makes it a 2on1 instead of a 2on2, but it's still a misplayed 2on1.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Re: the debate of Possession vs Dump and Chase

It’s almost pointless to have as the style of play is situation and team dependent.

You don’t play the same system every game.

You don’t ask all players to play the same way (Martin vs Matthews)n.

You don’t play the same way in all match ups.

You don’t play the same way in all game situations (defending a lead, special teams, etc).
I agree with this, for sure. We need to be able to beat all kinds of teams all kinds of different ways.

We know we can outscore teams if we ignore other facets of the game - (We've seen that both last season and the beginning of this season) - Now we need to make sure we can learn to win those tight-checking games while ensuring we don't lose sight of other responsibilities (keeping the puck out of our net). It's provided some tough lessons for some of our younger players, but hopefully will pay off in the future. We've got some really smart, really talented young players in our organization, I'm sure they can figure it out.

Reactions: Pookie

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
you don't have to play dump and chase to have playoff success

Pitt/Chi have 5 recent cups between them and neither played that system . LA/Bos have 3 cups and were big physical teams which played well defensively but we don't have anywhere near the type of personal they did.

basically you can win with pretty much any style as long as it suits your personal
You most certainly do have to play dump and chase to be successfully as you need to keep the puck safe and eliminate mistake and avoid high risk plays when protecting leads.

All the cup winners followed a similar path with getting the puck out of their zone and placing it 200 ft from their net. All!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Patty Kane cannot dump and chase he is useless. It is not like he has won cups or scored cup winning goals or anything.....

:sarcasm:
There is nothing wrong with rush incorporated into your game along with controlled entries, dump and chase, strong cycle.
But if you are doing the Patty Kane you can't turn it over 5/6 times out of 10 and you need linemates that have defense to have your back.
Bozak won't save you and neither he nor JVR can cycle well down low. JVR/Bozak rarely carry it in so D can focus on Marner's side.
Also because they have no cycle, zone maintaining ability, after the rush it's 1 and done and you have to recover defensively.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Goalie always has to play the shot..if not he gets beat by the puck carrier. Nylander failed to identify his man leaving Gardiner in no mans land.

leaving Gardiner in no mans land? what are you talking about lol

Yes, we know Nylander should have taken the other guy from the start, but Jake played it like a dumpster fire and he had plenty of time to adjust to Nylander going after the puck carrier. Another of your bad takes ...

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There is nothing wrong with rush incorporated into your game along with controlled entries, dump and chase, strong cycle.
But if you are doing the Patty Kane you can't turn it over 5/6 times out of 10 and you need linemates that have defense to have your back.
Bozak won't save you and neither he nor JVR can cycle well down low. JVR/Bozak rarely carry it in so D can focus on Marner's side.
Also because they have no cycle, zone maintaining ability, after the rush it's 1 and done and you have to recover defensively.

JVR Bozak should have been gone at the beginning of this season. I still don’t understand why are they still wearing the blue and white

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Seems almost like a guarantee that the Leafs will pick 16th overall this year in the draft.

That is assuming of course that they start winning games again and don't get passed by Florida, Detroit, or MTL

Or they just miss the playoffs and win the lottery.
Or they can go on a 22 games winning streaks the moment the start scoring goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad