Another Big Buff Thread

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...o-keep-byfuglien--ladd--trouba-001106850.html
Will Jets spend $152 million to keep Byfuglien, Ladd, Trouba?

Apparently Buff wants 55 mil over 8 years according to the article. While I'd love to have him on the team, he's out to lunch if he thinks he will get a deal like that at his age.

6.875M caphit... craziness. :shakehead

But somebody will give it.

I would consider getting Ladd... put him to pull the piano for Datsyuk. Superb grinder/net-front precence.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Actually, Byfuglien asking for $6.8M is the most reasonable of all three.

Ladd wants "at least" $6.8M for 6 years.

And Trouba - LOL - wants $7M per year for 8 years. Kid hasn't even broken the 30 point plateau yet. :laugh: What is he going to want when he's 29?

I get that this is what they are asking for, but these asks are comical. Particularly Trouba.

I actually wouldn't mind Ladd if you could get him down to $5.75 for 6 years IF you knew you could swing a Nyquist/Tatar for Vatanen deal. The Ladd deal would hurt in its last few years, but those swaps would probably give us our most playoff-capable roster in years without killing our future or spinning our wheels.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...o-keep-byfuglien--ladd--trouba-001106850.html
Will Jets spend $152 million to keep Byfuglien, Ladd, Trouba?

Apparently Buff wants 55 mil over 8 years according to the article. While I'd love to have him on the team, he's out to lunch if he thinks he will get a deal like that at his age.

I think that's what he wants to stay in Winnipeg, what he wants to play elsewhere might be a bit different. Honestly, I probably wouldn't blink at $7m for five years, guy fills a big hole for us, and does it very well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For as much as everyone is killing Trouba for this, honestly who do you think has the most years where they play at a seven million dollar level if you had to choose one of these guys??? My answer would be Trouba. He might not be there next season, but the chances Laad and Buff are worth that salary range for the last half their deals isn't good.

This does kind of reek of the Dougie Hamilton powerplay out of Trouba, he is setting the number higher for the Jets than I believe he would for other teams. But still maybe Trouba isn't all that interested in being the next Roman Josi or Klingberg, guy's that you think why the **** does he have that contract???

I mean people can kill ROR for his negotiation tactics, but dude got paid and paid handsomely by making those choices.

Buff still intrigues me as a Detroit fan, I just know he won't live up to the end of his deal, but my God is he a great fit for Blashill's system and I think we are perhaps the biggest contender in the East should we acquire him depending on the other assets shipped. But I only sink in those assets to extend him and people are not going to be thrilled with that contract. I think for the first half of it he does live up to that price range, but not sure what he becomes after that.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
For as much as everyone is killing Trouba for this, honestly who do you think has the most years where they play at a seven million dollar level if you had to choose one of these guys??? My answer would be Trouba. He might not be there next season, but the chances Laad and Buff are worth that salary range for the last half their deals isn't good.

This does kind of reek of the Dougie Hamilton powerplay out of Trouba, he is setting the number higher for the Jets than I believe he would for other teams. But still maybe Trouba isn't all that interested in being the next Roman Josi or Klingberg, guy's that you think why the **** does he have that contract???

I mean people can kill ROR for his negotiation tactics, but dude got paid and paid handsomely by making those choices.

Buff still intrigues me as a Detroit fan, I just know he won't live up to the end of his deal, but my God is he a great fit for Blashill's system and I think we are perhaps the biggest contender in the East should we acquire him depending on the other assets shipped. But I only sink in those assets to extend him and people are not going to be thrilled with that contract. I think for the first half of it he does live up to that price range, but not sure what he becomes after that.

Why does he have to be the next Roman Josi or Klingberg? Those guys are outliers just as much as Hamilton is.

And of course Trouba would have more valuable years, but probably not as many as you think, given that he wouldn't be going into that deal worth $7M while Buff is certainly worth his asking price (salary wise) now and Ladd is in the neighborhood given his, uh, intangibles. :sarcasm: But you're also running the risk that Trouba is never worth that money, which isn't an outlandish premise. We've seen plenty of defenseman who entered the league young plateau prematurely.

Either way, its an absolutely ridiculous request from Trouba. Hes not playing as much as he did in previous years, he's not on the PP, hes not scoring, he doesn't have any playoff acumen, and hes not coming off a 40+ point season or have a great playoff stretch under his belt. And you simply don't get $6-7M in this league without putting up points.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I don't think the offense will dry up much for Buff, and as long as he's producing, I think we could live with it. Given how it looks pretty unlikely that any of the current D prospects (who are close) will develop into a top pairing guy, we're probably going to want/need another vet bridge to buy time to draft/develop some more. And I'd rather sink $7m in Byfugien than another $4.5-5m into a guy like Quincey.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why does he have to be the next Roman Josi or Klingberg? Those guys are outliers just as much as Hamilton is.

And of course Trouba would have more valuable years, but probably not as many as you think, given that he wouldn't be going into that deal worth $7M while Buff is certainly worth his asking price (salary wise) now and Ladd is in the neighborhood given his, uh, intangibles. :sarcasm: But you're also running the risk that Trouba is never worth that money, which isn't an outlandish premise. We've seen plenty of defenseman who entered the league young plateau prematurely.

Either way, its an absolutely ridiculous request from Trouba. Hes not playing as much as he did in previous years, he's not on the PP, hes not scoring, he doesn't have any playoff acumen, and hes not coming off a 40+ point season or have a great playoff stretch under his belt. And you simply don't get $6-7M in this league without putting up points.

I think the lack of opportunity is a part of what Trouba is driving at with this request. Just because you take away his PP points to drive his contract down doesn't mean he is on board.

The point is if Trouba signed one of those long deals at 4 million like a lot of people are lambasting him for today, he would be just like those guys, way underpaid quickly on it.

I mean he should just bridge it, take them to arbitration and get out of there... But in order to stay in Winnipeg he clearly wants a big contract or he will leave at the earliest opportunity. Not really hard to see what he is driving at. Plus he knows they are going to pay one of him or Buff to be front-line guys. They are both better than Myers, why get stuck being in the sucker hole. Ultimately he doesn't have a lot of rights, but I don't know why he would sell himself short to be honest. Again I think he has the best chance of being worth that money over the contract...

Would you not be excited if the Wings signed him to that tomorrow? I know I sure would.

I don't think the offense will dry up much for Buff, and as long as he's producing, I think we could live with it. Given how it looks pretty unlikely that any of the current D prospects (who are close) will develop into a top pairing guy, we're probably going to want/need another vet bridge to buy time to draft/develop some more. And I'd rather sink $7m in Byfugien than another $4.5-5m into a guy like Quincey.

We are in agreement, that is what I was driving at in terms of Buff just seems like such a good fit. Even if the contract isn't worth it at the end, he intrigues me enough to hand it out.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

This is kind of where I stand. I'm not thrilled with the idea. But really, what are we going to be doing anyways? Not executing any trades and watching more mediocre prospects graduate? Locking up $15M in guys like Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl, and Smith?

Lets say we sign Byfuglien to a 7 year deal in 2016. By the time 2020 rolls around, Byfuglien is 35 and maybe is hitting a wall. But by that time, Kronwall, Ericsson, Green, and Quincey are all gone. And Dekeyser isn't going to touch a fat paycheck if he can't produce.

In other words, by the time Byfuglien's contract is something close to dead weight, we'll have long since been in control of our future on defense and elsewhere. If you get the chance to pick up a stud defenseman in free agency at that time, you cut the fat elsewhere. As it is, we already have a bottom pairing that potentially costs $6.75M in Quincey-Smith with a 7th defenseman costing us $2.4M. And those questionable contracts are the direct result of missing out on solid free agents while being so desperate for offense from the back-end that you hope against your better judgment that the likes of Kindl and Smith will put it all together. Having an ugly old Byfuglien simply means letting go of your beloved mediocre homegrown talent instead signing them to play a role that could be filled by a guy making 25% of what they do.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I think the lack of opportunity is a part of what Trouba is driving at with this request. Just because you take away his PP points to drive his contract down doesn't mean he is on board.

The point is if Trouba signed one of those long deals at 4 million like a lot of people are lambasting him for today, he would be just like those guys, way underpaid quickly on it.

I mean he should just bridge it, take them to arbitration and get out of there... But in order to stay in Winnipeg he clearly wants a big contract or he will leave at the earliest opportunity. Not really hard to see what he is driving at. Plus he knows they are going to pay one of him or Buff to be front-line guys. They are both better than Myers, why get stuck being in the sucker hole. Ultimately he doesn't have a lot of rights, but I don't know why he would sell himself short to be honest. Again I think he has the best chance of being worth that money over the contract...

Would you not be excited if the Wings signed him to that tomorrow? I know I sure would.

I don't care if Trouba is asking for that money because he wants out of Winnipeg or not, its making him look ridiculous. It conjurs up images of Hamilton, except that Trouba is asking for more in the midst of doing less. There are plenty of angles he could take to send a message to Winnipeg (and the rest of the NHL) that he isn't interested in sticking around. But whats particularly bothersome is that he's doing it in a year where he isn't taking the next step, unlike Johansen. Or ROR the first go-around. Or even Subban.

As for whether or not he'll be worth $7M, I legitimately am not sure that he will be. At least not in the sense that it would be a steal of a contract - just that it could come to be market value over the next 3-4 years. And even then, I'm just not sure. I'm always wary of defenseman who enter the league at an abnormally young age being heralded for their defensive stability and physicality. Especially when their offense regresses with notoriety and pressure. If it were the inverse, and Trouba was chugging along offensively but had questions defensively, I'd gladly give him $7M.

Lastly, would I be excited if the Wings signed him to that tomorrow? If we weren't giving anything up? Absolutely. But there are a ton of defenseman that I would be stoked about if we signed them to that deal. And it would have a hell of a lot to do with the fact that we're starved for defenseman with top 2 potential/capabilities.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Red Wings fan living in WPG checking in-

theres many Andrew Ladd type players in this league, but one Buff. Ladd asking for that much is absurd.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Id pay 6.875 for buffoon, although the 8 years is too long. Id give him 6 at most. Ultimately I'd prefer someone younger but Buff would be good for a while

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'd pay that for Big Buff.

Call me insane.

Count me in. We have a window here, use it.

After thinking about it, I'm in too. We need to go after Buff big time. Having a top 4 of Kronwall, Buff, Green, and DDK will be nice. I'd be ok with signing KFQ again as long as the price is reasonable. The Bust Twins are quite expendable. Hell, so is Quincey. We have Marchenko now.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It's astounding to me there are so many wings fans willing to give Buff that kind of contract.

He's had issues in the past coming to camp fat and out of weight. This season he is playing for a contract. After he gets his big contract, who's to say he doesn't indulge at KFC and Pizza Hut?

I'd go 2 years max at $6.2 million per. Not a day or penny more. Take it or leave it.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It's astounding to me there are so many wings fans willing to give Buff that kind of contract.

He's had issues in the past coming to camp fat and out of weight. This season he is playing for a contract. After he gets his big contract, who's to say he doesn't indulge at KFC and Pizza Hut?

I'd go 2 years max at $6.2 million per. Not a day or penny more. Take it or leave it.

Over blown. Buff's been really good at hockey the last 5 years.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

I'm pretty sure he'd leave it. Max I'd go would be 5 years and 7 million per (maybe a bit more)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I'd give him credit for being able to eat all that KFC and Pizza Hut and still compete. Guy contributes on a consistent year-to-year basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00