Another Big Buff Thread

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If the Wings are willing to give Gator a seven year deal, they better not have any problems giving Buff a seven year deal.

One awful contract doesn't make other bad contacts better. Buff will be good for ~4 years.. Will those be worth having him tag along after...probably but it's tough.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
One awful contract doesn't make other bad contacts better. Buff will be good for ~4 years.. Will those be worth having him tag along after...probably but it's tough.

Difference being the Wings don't have anything in the defensive pipeline that looks like they will pan out to be anything more than a bunch of tweeners.

If Ken Holland wants to keep on trying to contend with this roster, he needs to sign Buff.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wouldn't be an issue if we didn't already have Abby and Ericsson signed for way too long.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wouldn't be an issue if we didn't already have Abby and Ericsson signed for way too long.

At least Ericsson's expires a few years before Buff's theoretically would.

It's not like Ericsson is NOW about to start a long-term deal.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Buff, Green, and Kronwall as your top 3 suddenly looks like a team that's going to score a lot from the blueline. Sign me up.

Pay the guy what it takes to convince him Detroit is his new home. The Wings won't be the only suitor, so let's not lowball the guy and lose another impact player in a position of desperate need. He's huge, he hits, he scores, he shoots right... he checks every damn box we could hope to find in free agency other than the fact he'll be in his 30s.

These big guys do slow down as age catches them, but look at Chara, who didn't really take a big step back until last year, at age 37. Even Chara right now, though would be the Wings best defender... so yeah.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Buff, Green, and Kronwall as your top 3 suddenly looks like a team that's going to score a lot from the blueline. Sign me up.

Pay the guy what it takes to convince him Detroit is his new home. The Wings won't be the only suitor, so let's not lowball the guy and lose another impact player in a position of desperate need. He's huge, he hits, he scores, he shoots right... he checks every damn box we could hope to find in free agency other than the fact he'll be in his 30s.

These big guys do slow down as age catches them, but look at Chara, who didn't really take a big step back until last year, at age 37. Even Chara right now, though would be the Wings best defender... so yeah.

Not sure Chara is the best comparable for Big Buff, one of them is notorious for his commitment to physical health and the other...not so much.

I'll just leave this here

[collapse=video1]
hqdefault.jpg

A2X3wQhCQAEGoZh_medium.jpg
[/collapse]

Before the pro-Buff guys start out on me I just want to reiterate that I would love Buff on this team but I for one would rather pay him bigger money in order to get him on a shorter term.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Oh right, the fat photo of Buff. Of course. He's fat, hahahahahahah

Not saying he wouldn't be a good player and help the team for another 5 years (maybe more) but your example is flawed. Suggesting that Buff could maintain a high level of play late into his 30s because Chara did it is not a good argument IMO, and that's all I was saying.

In fact look at the guys who maintained high level of play in their later years, how many of them had question marks about their fitness?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not saying he wouldn't be a good player and help the team for another 5 years (maybe more) but your example is flawed. Suggesting that Buff could maintain a high level of play late into his 30s because Chara did it is not a good argument IMO, and that's all I was saying.

In fact look at the guys who maintained high level of play in their later years, how many of them had question marks about their fitness?

I am with you Jurky. I think he will go from great to worthless in a very short period of time. I will, however, give the Buff fans here credit. Most advocating for signing him agree that he will be garbage well before the end of his next deal. I am glad that they have realistic expectations.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Not worth the risk. He has history. That's enough to not give up assets PLUS a long term contract.

Considering he's on the wrong side of 30 and has history coming to camp fat and out of shape, two years is all I'd give. Nothing more.

And yet he still produces at greater than a 0.5 PPG clip. That's pretty good for being out of shape ;)

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
One plus I can think of for giving Buff a big contract, is it might force Detroit to keep up some cheaper ELC players on the big team (AA, Mantha, Oullette) Instead of higher priced veterans (Richards)

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
And yet he still produces at greater than a 0.5 PPG clip. That's pretty good for being out of shape ;)

He wants a fat contract. How he is performing this year and previous years doesn't promise he'll sustain that after his fat contract. It's a risk I am not willing to make.

He's turning 31. Even if he stays in shape (which I doubt he will), give him 2 years and he will significantly slow down due to age.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
with D/Z/K all slowing down, younger guys establishing themselves, and the wealth of assets (mainly forward prospects) the wings have to take a chance while there's still a window.

Kronner-green
Dk-buff
Is a pretty good top 4, throw in the forward depth (even after losing a body or two to acquire buff) and Mrazek, baby you got a stew goin.

My question is, if the wings can make a legit push for the cup the next couple seasons due in part to signing buff, isn't it worth a few seasons of pain after?

There is no perfect D man available out there, we gotta accept that.

Pav and Z deserve another ring.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Looks like winnipeg is out of the playoffs.

They are not catching the Central. The best hope they have is a wilcard spot. And Kieth is back pretty soon I think. So that leaves only 1 wildcard spot. Hopefully they just keep losing so Big Buff is an option.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Not worth the risk. He has history. That's enough to not give up assets PLUS a long term contract.

Considering he's on the wrong side of 30 and has history coming to camp fat and out of shape, two years is all I'd give. Nothing more.

What history is that? Being fat?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Kindl
Smith
Quincey

vs

Byfuglien
Schlemko/ Hejda/ vet 6-7Dman
Marchenko/ Ouellet/ etc

it just makes way too much sense to me

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I could see most teams offering Big Buff around 5 years $40 Million. If he truly wants 8 years $55 Million I just can't see too many teams offering him a 8 year deal. Not sure that even Winnipeg would go more then 5 years on him.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I could see most teams offering Big Buff around 5 years $40 Million. If he truly wants 8 years $55 Million I just can't see too many teams offering him a 8 year deal. Not sure that even Winnipeg would go more then 5 years on him.

The only team that can go 8 years is Winnipeg. Everyone else has to go 7 max.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad