Value of: Another 1st round pick to Ottawa or a goal scoring right winger

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Not trying to be THAT guy. But in what world is money ball Ottawa taking on a bad contract for a prospect.

I don't see the Ottawa ownership doing that.

I think the usual proposal here is that Ottawa doesn't take the bad contracts that still have a ton of actual cash owed; they take the bad contracts that have a whole lot of excess cap hit attached but low actual salary because they were frontloaded and/or had most of this year's salary in already paid bonus money. If Ottawa got a player like, say, Loui Eriksson... he has 6m+6m of cap space attached which is a major impediment to teams that want to push cap to compete. But he has only 1m+4m of actual cash to pay (and likely even less because of season shortening and escrow from revenue shortfall). Getting a premium sweetener to take another team's 12mil of cap problem and have it cost under 5m in Ottawa's books... is in the Eugene playbook.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Sens are still rebuilding for the future I would say right now D-core is fine and so is center position however we are looking for goal scoring wingers on the right. I know we have the whole oh melnyk is cheap but lets just say hypotethcially speaking that were not the case.

I would be willing to take on a terrible contract or 2 that lasts no more than 3 years. Looking for only 1st round picks or goal scoring right winger.​

Loui Eriksson, Jake Virtanen and 2022 1st for future draft pick

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Ideally it wouldn't be a 1st, but doubtful a team takes a 2nd. NYR were smart and moved Staal early and cost then a 2nd rounder for a 1yr cap dump.

LE has 2 yrs left, so would Juolevi and a 2nd be enough or a 2nd and Virtanen close?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think we need a C or even LW more than a RW tbh. We have 3 vets on the right with Batherson who should be ready to be a full time NHLer. On the left you have Tkachuk and then Paul for the 4rth line but still unsure if Formenton/Abramov/Stutzle can hold spots.

RW: Dadonov, Batherson, C. Brown, Watson

LW: Tkachuk, Stutzle, Formenton, Abramov, Paul

C: White, Tierney, Anisimov, Norris, L.Brown

If Ottawa does something I hope they try to upgrade the C position and then let Norris, L. Brown and White battle it out for the other spots with Tierney as stop gap for a season until Norris/Brown show they are fully ready.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Ideally it wouldn't be a 1st, but doubtful a team takes a 2nd. NYR were smart and moved Staal early and cost then a 2nd rounder for a 1yr cap dump.

LE has 2 yrs left, so would Juolevi and a 2nd be enough or a 2nd and Virtanen close?
I doubt Ottawa would do it but have to imagine the going rate would be around a 2nd per year as per the M. Staal trade. Cost could even be higher given how much more limited space is around the league. Better for the Nucks to keep LE for another year - unless there's another Schmidt type trade to be had (doubt it). The remaining UFAs this year aren't worth it IMO

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think we need a C or even LW more than a RW tbh. We have 3 vets on the right with Batherson who should be ready to be a full time NHLer. On the left you have Tkachuk and then Paul for the 4rth line but still unsure if Formenton/Abramov/Stutzle can hold spots.

RW: Dadonov, Batherson, C. Brown, Watson

LW: Tkachuk, Stutzle, Formenton, Abramov, Paul

C: White, Tierney, Anisimov, Norris, L.Brown

If Ottawa does something I hope they try to upgrade the C position and then let Norris, L. Brown and White battle it out for the other spots with Tierney as stop gap for a season until Norris/Brown show they are fully ready.

Ya, looking at the Senators roster, RW does not seem to be a priority or large need. Center or defender would be more logical.

The premise or underlying logic for this thread is not great. Given the availability of low cost free agents, and the low returns for quality players due to the tough economic times, there are other attractive alternatives that don't require a cap dump as well.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Pearson is a LW, had a solid season last year. Could help your team and sign an extension...He is from Kitchener.

So he could be added to a player we are trying to move from LE, Sutter, Baertschi, Benn, Roussel.

Would Sutter or Roussel be of any interest for some veteran leadership while giving depth?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad