Annual predict to goal totals for Canes players in 18/19

How many goals will the Canes score in 18/19?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for the format, Big Daddy Cane.

PlayerGoalsComments
Aho25Points stay up, but goals go down
PDG2No Top 9 ice time this season.
Ferland13Spends time on all 3 lines and does ok, but never meshes. Traded at the deadline
Maenalanen6Early-season look gets 1 or 2, then gets sent down, returns after Ferland trade and gets 7 down the stretch playing with Aho, then Necas.
Martinook4The 4th line will not get scoring TOI
McGinn12Gets moved to 4th line in 2019.
Necas15Calling my shot. Defenses won’t know how to contain this kid. But lack of PP time hurts goal total.
Rask10Loses his role on the PP and the top 9
Staal18Nothing changes. Having McGinn and Williams won’t help matters. Slow start, scoring picks up after Foegele brought up.
Svechnikov22Impresses with Necas, but fails to convert on many quality chances. Breaks out the following year.
TT25Capitalizes on Aho’s setup and quality other winger
Williams15Slllllllow, but gets PP points
Zykov17Gets Aho and PP love, but not enough to stay on top line.
Foegele8Gets called up when McGinn and Ferland don’t fit with Staal.
CDH3Not a goal scorer
Faulk0traded before the season starts
Fleury4Shows us a bit
Hamilton15Drives everything, but doesn’t score as much
Pesce5Better scorer than his stats
show
Slavin6Pretty static
TVR4pretty static
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
229 total, I think?

Just curious, but why do you think Aho's goals go down? Are you assuming he'll be at center thus taking away some of his offense? Do you think his SH% was too high and that will come back in check? Or just year to year variation and 25 isn't statistically that far away from 29? I could see his totals dropping slightly so not saying you are wrong, just wondering the rationale.

This past season, Aho didn't score a goal for the first 15 games, but then was very consistent month to month: Oct: 0, Nov: 5, Dec: 6, Jan: 6, Feb: 5, Mar: 6, Apr: 1 (in 3 games). The prior season, Aho didn't score a goal for the first 13 games as well and still hit 24.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Just curious, but why do you think Aho's goals go down? Are you assuming he'll be at center thus taking away some of his offense? Do you think his SH% was too high and that will come back in check? Or just year to year variation and 25 isn't statistically that far away from 29? I could see his totals dropping slightly so not saying you are wrong, just wondering the rationale.
Yes.

We have to use rationale to post here, now? I JUST DON'T LIKE THE GUY, OK? There...I said it. :sarcasm:

Just a feeling, no logic behind it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think Aho gets slightly fewer goals but adds a fair amount of assists IF he plays pivot all year. If that is the case, I anticipate Zykov on one wing and TT on the other. Both will be the beneficiary of Aho's largesse. Right now, I anticipate a line of McGinn/Staal/Svechnikov as a sneaky good offensive line that is also difficult to play against. A third line of Ferland/Necas/Williams would be interesting with Williams and Ferland actually providing veteran leadership/presence for Necas. It was noted that Ferland is a good skater, so I could easily see those two leading the rush while Williams trails for defensive and mop up purposes. While I'd like another proven scorer, I am excited to see what Zykov can do if he remains w/the Finns. Similarly, I think that McGinn and Staal are good complements to Svechnikov's creativity. Less posts for Brock mean more goals.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
PlayerGoalsComments
Aho32Modest upgrade - my natural tendency is to curb expectations and say less than last year, but the kid's 21 and put up 29 without scoring in his first however many games last year. He's real good.
PDG313th forward extraordinaire
Ferland11I think he's a 3rd line forward and the 21 goals were due to his linemates. Subject to increase if he sticks with Aho & TT (though that could be said of anyone on the list)
Maenalanen1I really don't know anything about this guy, but he's on the list, so sure, let's say he scores a goal
Martinook9Hoping for legitimate production from the 4th line - especially if a guy like Rask is centering. Has previously proven he can score
McGinn15Don't like the way people say hitting posts is basically a goal that wasn't. It's a missed shot. Goals are staying the same size this year.
Necas13Honestly I've got no idea. Feels right to temper Necas's expectations more than Svechnikov's
Rask15His "bad" last two seasons have seen him score 16 in 82 and 14 in 71. Role reduction, but if he's on the 4th line as most are penciling in, it's not a stretch to say he's the best 4th line center in the league.
Staal23Brind'Amour, who saw an offensive renaissance under Laviolette, helps Jordan to his best offensive season as a Hurricane.
Svechnikov24Laine scored 36 his rookie year. Patrick scored 13. Split the difference, and round down because he's a rookie, so we can't plan on that extra half a goal.
TT23Dude's 23 years old, scored 23 goals last year.
Williams14Modest production regression due to age
Zykov16Using Zykov as a catch-all - this is the amount that Zykov + everyone not on this list will score (Saarela, Foegele, etc.) If it's Zykov all year, sure, I'll take 16 from him.
CDH1This person doesn't score goals
Faulk10This person used to score goals and now doesn't. Subject to be reduced to 0 if he gets traded.
Fleury1This person will score one goal this year.
Hamilton14This person scores lots of goals, but is a defenseman, so I can't bank on 20 goals.
Pesce4This person will probably score 4 goals this year.
Slavin7This person will probably score 7 goals this year.
TVR1This person has an ambiguous role right now, and doesn't score even when he doesn't.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If my mental math is correct, that's 237 goals. I voted for 241-250 before I did this. Discrepancies all over.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
@Anton Dubinchuk

Laine scored 36 his rookie year. Patrick scored 13. Split the difference, and round down because he's a rookie, so we can't plan on that extra half a goal.

Patrik and Patrick were rookies too, and Andrei is an apostle name while Patrick was but a pesky saint. Upgrade to 25 or I'll snitch you to your priest.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think Necas might be a source for a surprise with 7-10 goals more than most predict. He didn't struggle at all against men in Czech or WC with 12 goals in 33 games. He's got top end speed, and he'll be playing with a couple good wingers. Seems likely he'll be pushing 20.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
@Anton Dubinchuk

Patrik and Patrick were rookies too, and Andrei is an apostle name while Patrick was but a pesky saint. Upgrade to 25 or I'll snitch you to your priest.

I like you.

Andrei also converted Russia and founded the Byzantine Church.

Patrick only converted Ireland, and it wasn’t even that hard because half of them already knew the traditions thanks to Joseph of Arimathea.

Mods, change it to 25. He’s convinced me.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
PlayerGoalsComments
Aho58A goal for every named demon in Gehenna.
PDGiI have an irrational exuberance for Phil's game.
Ferland4Seven hundred shots on goal. Four land.
Maenalanenn/aThis person does not exist.
Martinook33 1/3I like Martinook's Long Play game.
McGinnthreeveSuck it, Trebek.
Necas-127Integer overflow error.
Raskeleventy-oneOn Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday, he gave the ring to Frodo. Big mistake.
Staal0Mark my words: he's going to struggle without his brother.
Svechnikov47Kalechnikov. He will change his number to 47 for next year, and will score 47 goals every year until he retires at 47.
TT40
WilliamseHe's a natural goal scorer.
Zykov0Should have traded for Athanasiou, smdh
CDH0
Faulk50...for the Minnesota Wild. Eric Staal, who we will get in return, will score 0 goals. Mark my words: he's going to struggle playing next to his brother.
Fleury0I'm bored now
Hamiltonobored
Pesce0bored
Slavin0so boring
TVR3
[TBODY] T ( named tee /tiː/ [1] ) is the 20th letter in the modern English alphabet and the ISO basic Latin alphabet . It is the most commonly used consonant and the second most common letter in English-language texts. [2] (Note: for double T, this is doubly true.) Congenital diaphragmatic hernia ( CDH ) is a birth defect of the diaphragm. The most common type of CDH is a Bochdalek hernia; other types include Morgagni hernia, diaphragm eventration and central tendon defects of the diaphragm.
Van Riemsdyk, the younger brother of NHL forward James van Riemsdyk, took time to get noticed, going undrafted despite a stellar career at the University of New Hampshire. The Chicago Blackhawks signed him as a free agent on March 24, 2014.

Van Riemsdyk was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team in 2011-12 after scoring four goals and 19 points in 37 games as a freshman at New Hampshire. As a sophomore in 2012-13 he was named an NCAA First-Team All-American and a First-Team Hockey East All-Star after scoring eight goals and 33 points in 39 games, placing him second on the team in both assists (25) and points. He had 11 multipoint games, scoring a career-high four points Jan. 26, 2013, against Merrimack. [/TBODY]

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Our forward group has too many unknowns.. waiting for that Faulk or Pesce trade

There are a lot of unknowns but there isn't much room for additions. Canes have been loading up the forward corps with AAAA talent.

LW: Ferland, McGinn, Zykov, Martinook, Foegele, and Di Giuseppe

One year from now that group could have realistically churned out zero top-6 wingers. Or maybe it generates 2-3 solid long-term options (Zykov breaks out, Ferland scores 20 and re-signs, McGinn moves his shot an inch inside, Foegele or PDG suprises). A lot of it is in the air, but the Canes seem dedicated to that group.

Fun Fact: Jordan Martinook is the highest paid LW on the team currently @ $1.8 million per year (assuming Aho at C and Teuvo at RW like the end of last year). When a team spends a total of ~$6 million total on their group of 4-5 LW then you can expect a commensurate result.

PlayerCap
Martinook$1.8 million
Ferland$1.7 million
McGinn$887k
PDG$750k
Zykov$675k
TOTAL: $5.81 million
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In total the entire Canes LW corps makes the same as Jeff Skinner's $5.75 million Cap. No wonder Dundon was ready to dump his salary with so many cheap options.

That is the difference between being at the Cap and being $18 million under the Cap. Competing teams have those extra 2-3 players making $5-10 million which makes a noticeable difference on paper.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad