HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Anniversary of the David Clarkson trade!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I did, I hated this signing. I watched him here in New Jersey a lot and the guy couldn't even skate. The Clarkson falling down drinking game was long around before he came to Toronto.

I mean, I for one didn't think he'd hit 30 again.

But 5? I mean....5?

That was nuts.

Good times.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The fact they were neck and neck with that management group on this should have been a HUGE red flag. :laugh:
One thing I do believe is that if Brian Burke was their GM that day I don't think Clarkson would have been a Toronto Maple Leaf. Before the contract limits of 7 and 8 years I remember Burke didn't like to give out long term deals and one example was in July 2011 when he offered Brad Richards 6 years, however other teams were offering a lot more and he eventually signed for 9 years with the Rangers.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What about the reports that Edmonton was offering him more money than Toronto was and he still choose the Leafs. I agree that it was a bad signing, however my point is there was at least one team that wanted Clarkson even more and Toronto was not the only team willing to pay him along with giving him a 7 year contract.

The fact that Lowe/MacT wanted to offer him more doesn't make me feel better. I don't even count that as another team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What about the reports that Edmonton was offering him more money than Toronto was and he still choose the Leafs. I agree that it was a bad signing, however my point is there was at least one team that wanted Clarkson even more and Toronto was not the only team willing to pay him along with giving him a 7 year contract.

"if you friends jumped off a bridge would you too?"

Edmonton has been one of the worst managed teams in the NHL, I don't think the fact that they wanted to also give Clarkson a big payout lets Nonis off the hook. If anything it condemns him more

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA
I was at work, and sitting on the toilet trying to push out the last straggler when I got on HF and saw the trade. Jumped up in joy and never got that last straggler out during that restroom break

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im pretty sure I heard Poulin say on Leafs Lunch they scouted Clarkson as a third liner but paid him like they did because of free agency competition.

They KNOWINGLY paid a third liner that insane contract. At least if they thought he was a 2nd liner they could somehow excuse that contract. :facepalm:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Im pretty sure I heard Poulin say on Leafs Lunch they scouted Clarkson as a third liner but paid him like they did because of free agency competition.

They KNOWINGLY paid a third liner that insane contract. At least if they thought he was a 2nd liner they could somehow excuse that contract. :facepalm:

His entire game (whatever that was) just evaporated.
Ok so you were never seeing 30 goals/year again but he didn't even give us a Chris Neil type of game. Nothing. Nada.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

They convinced themselves that half season was the equivalent to an entire season regardless of the evidence to the contrary. I feel sorry for Shanahan having to work with these morons for an entire season.

Probably went something like this:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

oh my goodness. thank the sugar I didn't hear that because i would have raged

we have Pirdham now. all is good.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
They convinced themselves that half season was the equivalent to an entire season regardless of the evidence to the contrary. I feel sorry for Shanahan having to work with these morons for an entire season.

Probably went something like this:

Thats exactly how I pictured the Leafs scouting staff/management before shannahan gutted them. They were a bunch of idiots looking for fabbio..only problem is we were the yankees with the brain power of the coyotes budget..

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Was having sushi with the wife and a friend and my phone went off and I preceeded with a small chuckle leading to me bursting into laughter. My friend, who's not a Leafs fan just said "are you ****ing kidding me? How'd they get rid of him?"

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I remember when I first heard of that trade I was in the hospital getting ready for shoulder surgery...gave me something else (positive) to think of. I would have been freaking out that day (in a bad way) if it were not for David Clarkson:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad