HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Anniversary of the David Clarkson trade!

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Thinking back on it now lol it doesn't even matter since the direction the team took.... He could of helped the tank and he caphit is always good to reach the floor

This myth we will have trouble reaching the floor is FAR too wide spread. By the time we sign a full lineup next year, we would be lucky to have significant space at all.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Knew the signing was a disaster from the first moment.

No idea what everyone got so excited about.

Was genuinely suprised they could move him but I guess when they assumed even more dead salary it was possible!

Oh I know. I got flamed for saying it sucked. Some guy was telling me to give him a chance before I judge him. Loki wonder how much tsn was payed to pump him up that year, also funny to clarify just how truly incompetent nonis and his old staff were to make a signing like that

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Knew the signing was a disaster from the first moment.

No idea what everyone got so excited about.

Was genuinely suprised they could move him but I guess when they assumed even more dead salary it was possible!

Wasn't it pretty much 95% of posters on here that hated the deal when it was made

LeafsFIO*

Was at Swiss Chalet with my grandmother. She doesn't really understand how the salary cap works and she liked how hard Clarkson tried. I'm still trying to convince her it was a brilliant trade :laugh:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Seems like a pretty decent guy. Too bad it didn't work out. But thank god they got out of it. I just checked his stats this year. OMG. 18 games played. 1 goal and 1assist. That's not Parenteau last night...that's all year.

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
When they signed him, the Sun in all their glory had him on the front page with the headline "Wendel Clarkson", that was only the beginning.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I was on the 95 Sheppard East bus heading eastward between Pharmacy Ave and Warden ave on my way home from school. I refreshed the trade forum on my phone, saw the thread title and started laughing to myself, and probably looked like a crazy person.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Thing was, at the time, Clarkson was exactly the type of player we needed. Sure, most people thought we overpaid, but I don't think even his biggest detractor expected him to be THIS bad.

No, he wasn't.

I mean, not if you had actually watched him play the game of hockey, that is..

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I was happy with the signing at the time too (not the contract)
I thought he'd bring a ton to the team, but he ended up being one of the most useless Leafs I've seen in a long time

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
No, he wasn't.

I mean, not if you had actually watched him play the game of hockey, that is..

In your face player who had scored 30 goals and 15 goals (in 48 games) the previous years? Yeah, exactly what the Leafs needed for that second line at the time. At least on paper.

And then we all know what happened.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
6s9kxi.png

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He happiest I've been as a Leaf fan in the past decade, other than the Nylander and Marner draft selections.

It's also the reason why Nonis will likely never by a GM again.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
In your face player who had scored 30 goals and 15 goals (in 48 games) the previous years? Yeah, exactly what the Leafs needed for that second line at the time. At least on paper.

Anyone who knew the context around his one season (1.5 I guess) anomaly knew that is what it was.. there is no way they were even getting a regular 20 goal scorer in this deal..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad