Tribute Anna and Olivia Appreciation thread

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think the difference is I read a lot about the Senators and you wait for the info to hit your ears. If you don’t know about the delays and changing goalposts with the bank which have been apparent since December then I don’t think you’re playing close enough attention to comment on the ownership bids

just I thought, you are unable back your claims, as to why the Melnyk sisters are to blame for the RR group dropping out.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol why should RR group get preferential treatment over other bids. All the other bids would like the same, that’s why it was turned down, not some over the top speculation with zero credibility.
Not sure the idea is that they should, sounds like the idea wa S that they didn’t want to spend a billion on the team without being able to secure a land deal for the area and real estate.

Seems reasonable, also understandable why other parties would not like it. Also provides reasons in advance why the team is likely to sell for much less than expected recently.

The land deal should have been worked out and included given that otherwise you’re buying a small market NHL team in Kanata and hoping for the world Afterwards.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
For the brief period between their father’s death and the recent sale, things were good with quality signings and acquiring asssets, and a decent focus on values that I believe to be good for a community (a step away from negativity that seemed to be present with their father). Not sure how much credibility in reports about asks that seemed unreasonable and perhaps entitled during the sale, but I have no problem with these two being involved in ownership moving forward. Not that it matters what I or others think lol.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
From everything I've read and heard, I would have done the same thing.
I would ask to keep 10% of the team and I would also ask for my tax bill to be covered.

Their father taught them to control their money well.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Thought I would bump this. What's the general consensus now?

I don't think we'll ever get the story of what all happened behind closed doors. They did well last season letting the board handle things and only sightings of them were positive.

And as far as I know, neither of the ladies are going big into the business or investment world, so selling this team is their main play for financial security. I don't blame them for going for as much as they could get. Anyone else would likely do the same.

It does kinda suck for the organization as that means less money up front for spending on the team itself for awhile...but that's why you want the deepest pockets possible, so they can afford to buy the team and invest into it right away.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I don't think we'll ever get the story of what all happened behind closed doors. They did well last season letting the board handle things and only sightings of them were positive.

And as far as I know, neither of the ladies are going big into the business or investment world, so selling this team is their main play for financial security. I don't blame them for going for as much as they could get. Anyone else would likely do the same.

It does kinda suck for the organization as that means less money up front for spending on the team itself for awhile...but that's why you want the deepest pockets possible, so they can afford to buy the team and invest into it right away.
so much of all that has happened the last 20 years and the events of the last 20 weeks are so confusing, so counter-intuitive and so alarming!

-the team as an independent entity needs around 170 M USD a year to thrive. And I say thrive in a more humble way. Be at the 85 M cap (soon to be).. spend properly on hockey ops.. spend properly on the business side.
in 2018 or 19 (you can always look it up). Forbes had them at 127 M.. this was after the Euge outburst and 2 years into their collapse and 5-10 years into a poor era.. so, we can assume a bottom point. What is a real revenue point (circa 2018 or 2019)? 10% to 20% higher.. so we arrive at 150 M.. about 155-160 M today... it leaves them about 10-15 M short.. so add 4-6 playoff dates.. and you are at 170 M... no margin for error.

- a 1 b purchase, less 10%, less 200-400 M that you fund from money you already have. Still means about 400 M to be financed. How does that get paid? you need roughly 30 M extra to pay it off.. how do you get to 200 M of team revenue????

if an arena deal crumbles.. or is a humble project. If the team fails to consistently appear in the playoffs (Pittsburg 2006-2021 kind of run). Then?????

An owner with deep pockets has 30 M to find, to repay his purchase loan.. that may be a loss he endures from moment one.. how do you catch up? how does he spend 170 M on the team, when in reality, he should top off at 140 M... Back in Eugene Melnyk territory.

Unless there is rock solid guarantee of a bucket full of cash coming at him later..a sweet arena deal that is a Leprechaun with a pot of gold.. all of this is insanity.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Unless there is rock solid guarantee of a bucket full of cash coming at him later..a sweet arena deal that is a Leprechaun with a pot of gold.. all of this is insanity.
The funny thing is that you call it insanity but give no credit to a self made billionaire who not only has run successful businesses but sports entities at that, including understanding NHL ownership. I think he knows what he has gotten into.
There will be a sweet arena deal in the near future that will he will parlay into some serious revenue that will offset a good chunk of the purchase price. And by taking on the local partnership group that makes it an even more of a likelihood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm definitely interested to see how a premier arena in Lebreton chances the landscape in Ottawa when it comes to major events. Will we finally see the biggest concerts, shows and other "big arena" events that have usually bypassed the city? And what will we need with the arena to guarantee those events? You know they have to gobble up a much bigger chunk of the Flats and add in an attractive entertainment area.

Also, the way society is changing (WFH, theaters going to luxury suites and seating, people turning to their homes for hom gyms, offices, home bars, and man caves, etc....what is the next generation entertainment center going to look like? Do the young folks still do the clubbing/bar scene, or will the next decade bring about a completely different type of entertainment business?

Reactions: DrEasy

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
The funny thing is that you call it insanity but give no credit to a self made billionaire who not only has run successful business but sports entities at that, including understanding NHL ownership. I think he know what he has gotten into.
There will be a sweet arena deal in the near future that will he will parlay into some serious revenue that will offset a good chunk of the purchase price. And by taking on the local partnership group that makes it an even more of a likelihood.
I hope so.

-short term, he could be facing a 30 M a year debt from the loan on the amount to purchase the team.
-from year 2-5 of his ownership, it is possible to incur a further 30 M on the loan to build a new arena/development project.

60 M from years 2-5..~ 240 M.. plus year 1 at 30M.. ~ 270 M in debts before the money starts flowing.. the 270 M in debt, has itself ~ 20 M a year in interest.

Do you sort of see my fear? This could be tail chasing.

I am hoping that team revenue can, on its own hit 180 M or more instantly.... otherwise, some chunk of cash has to be accounted for. In fact, 190 M is probably more realistic. 190 from 160 is a jump of about 20%.. that is a serious increase in asses in seats and a willingness to pay more.

Who knows, maybe this city is far more affluent than I am assuming, far more hockey mad, far more angry at Eugene and this dollar is really there and will surface.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yawn, let's move on from the Melnyks. Page is turned, let the girls enjoy their f*** you money far far away from the team.
They are still the current owners, and credit to the Sens Foundation for a much needed donation….. you can yawn, and you don’t have to give a crap about people who are helping people in need.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad