Signing(s): Angels sign Mike Trout: 12 years, 426 million

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
true

but trout has been with the team since 2012. the angels have had a ton of time to surround him with talent. sure they brought in ohtani but what have they done aside from that? throw money at cj wilson and josh hamilton?

its pretty inexcusable to have the best player in the game 7 seasons now and have zero playoff wins to show for it
Completely agree, I'm hoping when they negotiated this, he told them to get their heads out of their asses

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
but 450m? No NHL player will ever earn that much over 13 years
Because NHL doesn't make even close to the revenue of baseball. Last I seen Leafs were the only team in hockey worth 1 billion dollars. In baseball only one team is worth less than that (Tampa Bay).

Sep 19, 2008
Because NHL doesn't make even close to the revenue of baseball. Last I seen Leafs were the only team in hockey worth 1 billion dollars. In baseball only one team is worth less than that (Tampa Bay).

wow these numbers are astonishing :eek:

i was always curious why mlb could always dish out such huge contracts and this clarifies it a bit. It's like MLB by a mile over any other sport. Not even the NBA or NFL give out contracts like this. 430m. Insane lol

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
wow these numbers are astonishing :eek:

i was always curious why mlb could always dish out such huge contracts and this clarifies it a bit. It's like MLB by a mile over any other sport. Not even the NBA or NFL give out contracts like this. 430m. Insane lol
MLB also has crazy TV deals and makes tons of revenue off that. Then of course merchandise. Pretty sure a lot of hockey revenue is based off of ticket revenue compared to baseball.

To further my point, NHls projected revenue this year is like 4.5 billion as a league. MLB made 11 or so last year and the Yankees as a team are worth 4 billion, way more than the Leafs.

NFL is a bigger sport but keep in mind their seasons is a tenth of MLBs

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
true

but trout has been with the team since 2012. the angels have had a ton of time to surround him with talent. sure they brought in ohtani but what have they done aside from that? throw money at cj wilson and josh hamilton?

its pretty inexcusable to have the best player in the game 7 seasons now and have zero playoff wins to show for it

Couldn't agree more, I mean even PIT with Bonds did nothing until his last couple years where they made the NLCS three years in a. row.

At least this won't force the Angels to trade away the farm. They can maybe be a little more patient instead of going for the quick fix now that the Trout Clock is no longer ticking.

Turns out this is a 10 year/360 M extension that kicks in 2021.

Are you sure? I read they scrapped the last 2 years of his current deal and just made this his current contract.

Maybe because they play twice as many games as NHL and 10 times the number of NFL games??

More games means more income for the owners

Its also on the players too. They (well, position players) have to trot out there basically every single day from April to the end of September.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
200w.webp
Semantics. It works better on all fronts than an actual salary cap.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Of course he wants a championship? Isn't that what all players want?

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough

It's not about what Trout wants, it's fans saying the Angels had better win with Trout, as if being paid 35+ million a year to live his dream isn't enough

Kinda like how fans were with Ovechkin last year. He's also being paid millions to live his dream, why does anybody care if he wins a championship?

It's like hoping that Bill Gates wins the lottery

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

It's not about what Trout wants, it's fans saying the Angels had better win with Trout, as if being paid 35+ million a year to live his dream isn't enough

Kinda like how fans were with Ovechkin last year. He's also being paid millions to live his dream, why does anybody care if he wins a championship?

It's really not that deep. He is one of the best players in the history of the game....people want to see a player that good in the post season because it would be fun to see. It kind of speaks for itself.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

He's the best or near best at what he does though. He deserves a championship regardless of how much he makes. When a player looks back at his career it won't feel complete without one.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
angels farm system is a whole lot better than it was say a couple years ago when it was one of the worst in baseball

still some work to be done on that end though

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

We will never go ANYWHERE with this rotation. We ought to be ashamed trotting this out after having Trout for 7 years.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
that's the other issue the angels have yet to address for a while now

starters and bullpen
Not to mention our piss poor infield. Simmons is great and was a great pickup, but our other starters are Pujols, a broken Cozart, and whoever the hell wins out at 2B/3B (wherever we don't put Cozart).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't think it is bad by any means but it is absolutely not a top 10 system in my opinion. Middle to high teens is probably fair.
Agree, add in the fact that only one of those players is at our biggest need, which is pitching, and it isn't much to get excited about, from a fan standpoint.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He's the best or near best at what he does though. He deserves a championship regardless of how much he makes. When a player looks back at his career it won't feel complete without one.

Poor guy made 500 million dollars to live out his childhood dream, but never won a championship?!?! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Poor guy made 500 million dollars to live out his childhood dream, but never won a championship?!?! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!
So why do you support sports teams if you are that jealous that they make a lot of money? They want to win. If they don't they aren't the players I'd want on my team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad