Signing(s): Angels sign Mike Trout: 12 years, 426 million

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Don't understand these comments about the Angels had better "stop wasting him" and "build a team around him"

99.9% of the population would trade places with him in a heartbeat, and some of you feel bad for him because his baseball team doesn't win more games?

He's going to be paid 35 million dollars a year to live out his childhood dream. If he needs a championship to be happy, then f*** him!

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Don't understand these comments about the Angels had better "stop wasting him" and "build a team around him"

99.9% of the population would trade places with him in a heartbeat, and some of you feel bad for him because his baseball team doesn't win more games?

He's going to be paid 35 million dollars a year to live out his childhood dream. If he needs a championship to be happy, then **** him!

I'm (and I'll guess most everyone else) speaking from an Angels POV. Not Trout's.

Reactions: Evil Speaker

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He’s 26 now so this 12 year deal won’t kick in until he is 28? So this goes until he is 40?

Low maintenance star guy like a Fitzgerald for the AZ cardinals. But didn’t the angels learn from Pujols about signing guys that long? His current deal pays him $33 million per for this year and next.
When it's Mike Trout, you sign him for however long he wants. You're going to let the best player in baseball walk in his prime because you refuse to sign him past 35? I don't think so.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Angels don't expect to be contenders relatively soon, then they would not have made this deal.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He’s 26 now so this 12 year deal won’t kick in until he is 28? So this goes until he is 40?

Low maintenance star guy like a Fitzgerald for the AZ cardinals. But didn’t the angels learn from Pujols about signing guys that long? His current deal pays him $33 million per for this year and next.

Pujols was also almost 32 when he signed.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Having Trout signed for life should make it easier to convince players to sign there.

true

but trout has been with the team since 2012. the angels have had a ton of time to surround him with talent. sure they brought in ohtani but what have they done aside from that? throw money at cj wilson and josh hamilton?

its pretty inexcusable to have the best player in the game 7 seasons now and have zero playoff wins to show for it

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

not out of the question that a guy like Trout can be a top producer at the end of the deal.

As great of a hitter as he is, there's always the transition to DH in his mid 30s.

For example:

David Ortiz @40: .315/.401/.620, 38 HR, 137 RBI, 1,091 OPS, 164 OPS+
- led the league in RBI, Slugging and OPS

granted he's clearly the outlier, but it isn't unheard of

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so it kicks in during his age 30 season and runs until he's 40

he doesn't seem like the kind of player who will slow down drastically after he reaches a certain age

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
As an Angels fan, I obviously love this deal, but we have done an absolutely embarrassing job of surrounding him with a good team, and now that we have him long term, that needs to change. I am sick of watching every other star young player win playoff games, when by far the best of them all has to sit at home every October. Now that we don’t have to worry about him leaving, it’s time to get our heads out of our asses and put together a contender.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Baseball has a salary cap.

It's just not a devastating succubus like it is in the NHL.

200w.webp

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Baseball's tax threshold is $206m.

All 30 teams have a 25-man roster making under $206m.

It's a salary cap.

Habsqqww

Mar 10, 2019
How come major league baseball players get paid so much more than NFL and NHL players @Marc the Habs Fan

Tavares who hit FA as a premier player only got 7 yrs 77 m

Trout was extended for 12 years and 430m

Why the stark differential

Maybe because they play twice as many games as NHL and 10 times the number of NFL games??

More games means more income for the owners

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not surprised as I explained in the Harper thread I expected him to re-sign and what Harper was doing was not going to impress Trout. He is not an attention whore and his personality doesn't mesh well with Philly or New York. He's not emotional he is just emotionally consistent, never says anything interesting he let's his play do the talking and the Angels are close to putting a winning team around him with a much improved farm system and the owner probably told him he'll spend money when the window opens

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

He's going to be paid 35 million dollars a year to live out his childhood dream. If he needs a championship to be happy, then **** him!
Of course he wants a championship? Isn't that what all players want?

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Hard to say how the back half of the deal will turn out, but the first few years will be a steal. You can't sign more than 3 or 4 good relief pitchers in FA for the yearly price of the 2nd coming of Mickey Mantle/ Willie Mays/ Hank Aaron.

Oct 18, 2011
true

but trout has been with the team since 2012. the angels have had a ton of time to surround him with talent. sure they brought in ohtani but what have they done aside from that? throw money at cj wilson and josh hamilton?

its pretty inexcusable to have the best player in the game 7 seasons now and have zero playoff wins to show for it
They have rebuilt their farm system and stopped chasing win now moves. Trout, Ohtani, and Simmons are all elite talents and their top prospects Jo Adell is projected as one as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad