Signing(s): Angels sign Mike Trout: 12 years, 426 million

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wonder if they'll start capping some of these long term deals in MLB. 12 years for Trout, and a similar length for Bryce.

Heck, we haven't seen a decade long deal in the NHL in some time. Rick DiPietro :laugh:

Well unless the next CBA opens the floodgates for contracts to exceed 8 years ago, we never will. NHL remains relative minnows when it comes to contract valuations, at least when compared with the NBA, MLB and NFL. And they're in 4th place by a considerable margin. :laugh:

Reactions: Roman Fell

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Record breaking deal after record breaking deal...holy cow. Trout is the close to being worth it though.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That is a team friendly deal. I can't believe I am saying that for a deal worth 430 million....but it is Mike Trout. Stop wasting him now please.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Mike Trout>Machado+Harper.

Trout deserves it. I'm glad he choose to stay in LAA.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How come major league baseball players get paid so much more than NFL and NHL players @Marc the Habs Fan

Tavares who hit FA as a premier player only got 7 yrs 77 m

Trout was extended for 12 years and 430m

Why the stark differential

MLB is a 10 billion dollar enterprise, NHL is 4 or 5 billion.

I wonder if they'll start capping some of these long term deals in MLB. 12 years for Trout, and a similar length for Bryce.

Heck, we haven't seen a decade long deal in the NHL in some time. Rick DiPietro :laugh:

Ovy signed his 12 year deal in 2007/2008.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
goddammit i was really hoping he'd leave the AL West

but like others have mentioned, he deserves every cent of that contract. i'm not surprised he decided to stay with the angels but how do they plan on surrounding him with any talent these next few years with the pujols contract still on the books? that'll be the big question here. can they finally surround trout with the talent he needs because they've failed to do so in the 7 seasons he's been in the league aside from ohtani

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
love it.

shuts up all the "wait till Trout is here too" people in Philly, and immediately s**ts on Harper's AAV that he so stubbornly held for

They're already squawking about how they just found a half a billion dollars to sign Mookie Betts

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pour one out for the Phillies fans, analysts and writers who thought he was coming home "for sure" and to "just wait" until he & Harper run the league :laugh: :laugh:

I read that the Angels vastly improved farm system and their new 3 billion dollar local TV deal are reasons why he stayed. You can also see how humble he is, hes very thankful that the Angels gave him his chance in the MLB.

Also clearly Moreno is not afraid to spend $$$$ so Trout figures worst comes to worst they'll just have to buy a championship caliber team.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

but like others have mentioned, he deserves every cent of that contract. i'm not surprised he decided to stay with the angels but how do they plan on surrounding him with any talent these next few years with the pujols contract still on the books? that'll be the big question here. can they finally surround trout with the talent he needs because they've failed to do so in the 7 seasons he's been in the league aside from ohtani

Yup. I think he has 3 years at $90M or something left.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Great deal for both sides, Trout gets a boat load of money and the Angels and their fans keep one of the best players in recent history for the rest of his career. As crazy as it sounds, Trout brings such unbelievable value he’s likely still underpaid. Now the Angels need to build around him, no reason to stop with just keeping Trout and given that they’re almost near the end of Pujols and there are some good pitchers coming up in free agency, they should be in on them.

Get him back to the damn playoffs. He’s been wasted long enough.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Angels committed to rebuilding the farm when Eppler was hired. Next year it should really start paying off with Adell, Jones, Canning, Saurez, and hopefully another 1-2 guys breaking out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
WOW.

He must really like Anaheim to do this 2 full years before free agency.

Looking like an AAV in the 35-36 M range.
He’s 26 now so this 12 year deal won’t kick in until he is 28? So this goes until he is 40?

Low maintenance star guy like a Fitzgerald for the AZ cardinals. But didn’t the angels learn from Pujols about signing guys that long? His current deal pays him $33 million per for this year and next.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
pay the man
feel bad for the next team that gives a player a contract like that using Trout as a comp.
there is only 1 Mike Trout and he's p much the only player worth that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad