Confirmed with Link: Andy Greene for Quenneville and 2021 2nd round pick

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Can we at least see Greene before we start making judgements?

Also, have to think Lou is going to get a forward as well.
I am not saying Greene will not contribute this season. I am saying if Lou is moving high picks , I want them used to add a younger player with term

Reactions: Quicklime

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think there is a bit of unwarranted worry here on moving a 2nd rd pick. Under Lou the Isles have drafted 3 first rders, 3 2nd rders in his 2 years as GM. I would rather deal a 2nd in 2021 than trade any of the prospects The Isles drafted. Greene is not going to come free. I mean he immediately improves the Isles chances of a longer playoff run and he stablizes the D pairings. A 2nd rd pick is the minimum cost for a top 4 D man at the TDL. If he was a lesser player he would be a 3rd and lower rd pick going the other way. This was simply a move that needed to be made. Greene will be well supported on the Isles and in the Trotz system. I don't see anything negative about this move. Isles have hoarded their picks well in firsts and seconds the past 2 years. They still have all their picks in 2020. They can afford to deal a second in 2021.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not a fan of giving up next year's 2nd.
But like others have mentioned, Greene is a good teammate who gives an honest effort. And how we've had problems being tied up in our own end and clearing the puck out he'll definitely help.
That's the price of a veteran defenseman. Pretty sure Ron Hainsey as a stand alone piece would have cost a 2nd and a player.

If you think that was too much to pay for Greene, then you must really think the Lightning overpaid for Blake Coleman. And if that's true you're going to be nauseous when you see the price of a scoring forward like Kyle Palmieri. Think this year's #1, another pick, and/or maybe a Nick Leddy if the trade partner is willing to take back a contract with term, or a Devon Toews or a Sebastian Aho.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'd be interested to hear your definition of "panic move", because this doesn't seem like one in any way to me.
It was a necessary move. A vet D was always going to be necessary, especially in light of Dobson's last 2 games. It was a security blanket for Trotz. I'm pretty sure that he didn't want to have to dress Dobson and Aho in the same game if something happened to one of the other 5 defensemen.

Now we can start spotting guys a night off down the stretch. Tell me Johnny Boychuk couldn't use a night off lately. Maybe now he'll get it in Denver this week.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think there is a bit of unwarranted worry here on moving a 2nd rd pick. Under Lou the Isles have drafted 3 first rders, 3 2nd rders in his 2 years as GM. I would rather deal a 2nd in 2021 than trade any of the prospects The Isles drafted. Greene is not going to come free. I mean he immediately improves the Isles chances of a longer playoff run and he stablizes the D pairings. A 2nd rd pick is the minimum cost for a top 4 D man at the TDL. If he was a lesser player he would be a 3rd and lower rd pick going the other way. This was simply a move that needed to be made. Greene will be well supported on the Isles and in the Trotz system. I don't see anything negative about this move. Isles have hoarded their picks well in firsts and seconds the past 2 years. They still have all their picks in 2020. They can afford to deal a second in 2021.
It's not worry, it's just a need to complain. It doesn't matter what move Lou made, there is a certain contingent of posters here who believe that other teams should just give the Islanders players for nothing, so, when we actually have to pay for the moves we make, it upsets them.

They're the same ones who think that JHS and a bag of pucks should be enough to land JGP.

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think it was important to see a move from your GM
and based on the return and result goes along way to determining if
He has what it takes to be able to continue to build a stronger team without
Eliminating your prospect pool. I always felt Lou would be the perfect president
Just not GM because the game has changed from his heyday .
I just felt the payment was high for a team lacking offence and little chance to
contend but maybe there is something else coming . It just seems like a move to help get into playoffs for the added revenue.
Get to the playoffs, get Casey and Clutter back, Pelech in later rounds. Anything can happen. Add O before the deadline and the Isles can do some damage.

Reactions: xECK29x and MJF

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I admittedly don’t know much about Greene, but I don’t know how I feel about trading a 2nd round pick for a 37 year old.
What if he was only 30? Would you trade a 2nd for him?

They traded for a few months of Andy Greene. That's all. His age doesn't matter when he's durable, currently healthy and productive. The age becomes relevant when deciding whether to sign him after the season. For today, it's no different than trading a 2nd for any other rental.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It's not worry, it's just a need to complain. It doesn't matter what move Lou made, there is a certain contingent of posters here who believe that other teams should just give the Islanders players for nothing, so, when we actually have to pay for the moves we make, it upsets them.

They're the same ones who think that JHS and a bag of pucks should be enough to land JGP.

A bag of pucks is a serious overpay

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

They traded for a few months of Andy Greene. That's all. His age doesn't matter when he's durable, currently healthy and productive. The age becomes relevant when deciding whether to sign him after the season. For today, it's no different than trading a 2nd for any other rental.
This is exactly right.

Reactions: periferal

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What player with term are they getting in return for a 2021 second?

2nd+ b prospect is what they spent.

And I would rather have seen Lou add to that if it meant getting a younger player with term.
Not impressed that Lou has shown he can overpay.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

His being 30 instead of 37 would increase the chances that the nyi would extend him this July.

His age will impact his next contract and the chances of his remaining with the isles beyond this season

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Isles second round pick 2000-2015, above 100 NHL games Blake Comeau,Travis Hamonic,Scott Mayfield and Jesse Joensuu below Dimitri Chernyk,Yevgeni Tunik,Jeremy COLLITON, Dustin Kohn,Corey Trivino,Aaron Ness,Mikko Koskinen,Johan Sundström and Ville Pokka.
And most of those were high 2nd rounds because we were drafting top-5 so much. We should expect the 2021 2nd to be a much lower pick.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
That's the price of a veteran defenseman. Pretty sure Ron Hainsey as a stand alone piece would have cost a 2nd and a player.

If you think that was too much to pay for Greene, then you must really think the Lightning overpaid for Blake Coleman. And if that's true you're going to be nauseous when you see the price of a scoring forward like Kyle Palmieri. Think this year's #1, another pick, and/or maybe a Nick Leddy if the trade partner is willing to take back a contract with term, or a Devon Toews or a Sebastian Aho.
I don't think we overpaid for Greene, I would've preferred the 2nd be this year's and not next year's and I don't think Tampa overpaid for Coleman either.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
2nd+ b prospect is what they spent.

And I would rather have seen Lou add to that if it meant getting a younger player with term.
Not impressed that Lou has shown he can overpay.

Are we really rating an ECHL defenseman who is 5'8 and has shown zero scoring ability since juniors as a B prospect now? This was a 7th round pick who did well in his overaged seasons in juniors and has not been the same since then. Aho is a B prospect, Quenneville is not.

A 2021 2nd + ECHL player is essentially what the Islanders just traded. This package was not obtaining too much else at this point in time.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Are we really rating an ECHL defenseman who is 5'8 and has shown zero scoring ability since juniors as a B prospect now? This was a 7th round pick who did well in his overaged seasons in juniors and has not been the same since then. Aho is a B prospect, Quenneville is not.

A 2021 2nd + ECHL player is essentially what the Islanders just traded. This package was not obtaining too much else at this point in time.
100% right about David Quenneville. He’s a fringe AHLer who is too small for the NHL. That’s not a B prospect.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

McKenzie is saying the asking price for Martinez with term is a 2nd + prospect.
He is not saying an A prospect.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

That is fine about Martinez, but Quenneville is not close to a B prospect.

You want the Islanders to trade a 2nd round pick (potentially this season) and a true B level prospect such as Aho for a 32 year old defenseman with 2 years left at $4 million each season against the cap? That severely hinders this teams ability to make any meaningful moves solely for the sake of adding a player with term.

Trading for a player because they have term is not always the smarter option. This team does not need a $4 million dollar cap hit on defense when they really only need an option for this season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That is fine about Martinez, but Quenneville is not close to a B prospect.

You want the Islanders to trade a 2nd round pick (potentially this season) and a true B level prospect such as Aho for a 32 year old defenseman with 2 years left at $4 million each season against the cap? That severely hinders this teams ability to make any meaningful moves solely for the sake of adding a player with term.

Trading for a player because they have term is not always the smarter option. This team does not need a $4 million dollar cap hit on defense when they really only need an option for this season.

I agree. I'd like a player with term, but on offense.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018

Martinez has another year on his contract at 4 million per.....if you want to keep our RFA's next season AND add another Top 6er, you do not need to be investing in 4 more million on our defense....

Greene is highly underrated and I pointed out how much he helps in the areas where we were majorly struggling since Pelech was lost for the season....

If the Islanders can't get their identity back (solid defense and above average goal tending) it DOES NOT MATTER who we add on the offensive side of the equation- we AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE....

First glance I thought a 2nd was too high....with a closer look at what he brings to the table, even at that age- it is a fair deal.

Quenneville was a warm body to keep us at -2 on contracts we can add to the roster...period

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Martinez has another year on his contract at 4 million per.....if you want to keep our RFA's next season AND add another Top 6er, you do not need to be investing in 4 more million on our defense....

Greene is highly underrated and I pointed out how much he helps in the areas where we were majorly struggling since Pelech was lost for the season....

If the Islanders can't get their identity back (solid defense and above average goal tending) it DOES NOT MATTER who we add on the offensive side of the equation- we AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE....

First glance I thought a 2nd was too high....with a closer look at what he brings to the table, even at that age- it is a fair deal.

Quenneville was a warm body to keep us at -2 on contracts we can add to the roster...period
And if for some reason we trade one of our top 5 defensemen for offense, re-signing Greene for 1 year at $2.5M shouldn't be a problem for our cap. Greene gives us flexibility in case Pelech has lingering issues in October.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad