Andrew Shaw

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Has Hartman got PP1 time or chance to skate with big boys in top 6?

Cause Shaw sure as hell has so its a bit unfair to say Hartman hasn't seized role form Shaw. He hasn't been given equal chance

Either way it doesn't matter if Hartman is ready or not ,, Come summer of 2016 we simply cant afford to overpay a supporting/role player like Shaw

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Cause Shaw sure as hell has so its a bit unfair to say Hartman hasn't seized role form Shaw. He hasn't been given equal chance

Either way it doesn't matter if Hartman is ready or not ,, Come summer of 2016 we simply cant afford to overpay a supporting/role player like Shaw

Has Hartman done anything 5 on 5 for Chicago...is he a multi postional player who cn move up and down the line up.

People told us Garbutt could replace Shaw, hasn`t happened. People told us Ross can replace Shaw, isn`t even an NHLer.

I think it`s because it`s easier said, than done.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am in no way a big Shaw fan. in fact he frustrates me quite a bit. but the guy has a compete level like nobody else on the team. he is willing to go to the front and he is not a big guy. In the playoffs he is pretty solid too. Just depends on the terms but the guy is someone/thing we do not have and need.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Chances are earned.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I wish I knew what compete level was besides "looks like he's trying super hard"

I blame NBC, nothing like some "Compete level" leading to a player making a gamble that doesn't always end well.

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Shaw is irreplaceable!

Any of you armchair GM's think that you know better have your heads shoved too far up your *****!

Shaw goes to the toughest parts of the rink to earn his paycheck and has pretty good hands for a 3rd /4th liner.

Go through every roster in this League and you won't find a comparable player.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I wish I knew what compete level was besides "looks like he's trying super hard"

I blame NBC, nothing like some "Compete level" leading to a player making a gamble that doesn't always end well.

If you want to know what compete level is, look 180 degrees from say Bickell. It is another way of saying 'athletic' for a fast footballer, etc. Not everything has to fit in your narrow vocabulary.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Could've sworn I've recently made a similar post about Shaw but must have been in another topic...I find it really weird that he's considered a dime a dozen guy on here

Guys who score 15 per year, have a physical edge and step their game up in the playoffs are certainly not that. And its not like we're paying him Bickell money or anything.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Could've sworn I've recently made a similar post about Shaw but must have been in another topic...I find it really weird that he's considered a dime a dozen guy on here

Guys who score 15 per year, have a physical edge and step their game up in the playoffs are certainly not that. And its not like we're paying him Bickell money or anything.

He's a very good tertiary bottom six player. However, has no business in top 6 role and likely has more value than Hartman or Garbutt when it comes to acquiring a asset we desperately need. I.e. #4 dman.

See if we can finagle Johnson from Columbus with Gregory Campbell for Shaw, Bickell and prospect (forsling?). I would be ecstatic.

Salaries match up. They get one less year of 4.5 mill of Johnson get and get a much better player than Campbell to their bottom six.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
He's a very good tertiary bottom six player. However, has no business in top 6 role and likely has more value than Hartman or Garbutt when it comes to acquiring a asset we desperately need. I.e. #4 dman.

See if we can finagle Johnson from Columbus with Gregory Campbell for Shaw, Bickell and prospect (forsling?). I would be ecstatic.

Salaries match up. They get one less year of 4.5 mill of Johnson get and get a much better player than Campbell to their bottom six.

Hawks forward depth is garbage this year and Shaw is one of the few bottom six players who has produced offensively and has the skills and IQ to fill in a top six line. On top of that, the Hawks have two young defensemen currently on the roster with #4 potential.

And in what way is Gregory Campbell "much better" than Shaw other than playing center and the duties that come along with it? Not to mention that he's on the wrong side of 30.

Shaw is a motor, he needs to stay on the team because he brings a lot to the lineup that most of the Hawks players simply don't have to offer.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Hawks forward depth is garbage this year and Shaw is one of the few bottom six players who has produced offensively and has the skills and IQ to fill in a top six line. On top of that, the Hawks have two young defensemen currently on the roster with #4 potential.

And in what way is Gregory Campbell "much better" than Shaw other than playing center and the duties that come along with it? Not to mention that he's on the wrong side of 30.

Shaw is a motor, he needs to stay on the team because he brings a lot to the lineup that most of the Hawks players simply don't have to offer.

Shaw has no business slotting into top 6 role especially for a team that prides itself a contender. There's a reason he was essentially fourth line come playoff time.

Campbell isn't much better but getting Johnson in our top 4 slides TVR back to where he's a closer fit on the third pair. I don't think Gustafson nor will Pokka be ready for top 4 role come playoff time. And we know Q won't bench both of scudisval. Campbell at least provides a safety net if Kruger can't come back while at the same time allows q to develop an actual third line with Danault and company.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I wish.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
He's still adjusting and adjusting to moving around in the lineup. I think he's doing better than where Granlund was 2 years ago in terms of adjusting to the NHL.

How can his "heart" be questioned but not Shaw's? Personally I think the term "heart" should go the way of Sean Avery in uniform, it's terribly vague because discipline and awareness is every bit as "hearty" as effort. Effort also sucks in terms of describing a player because Hossa looks like he's going 75% almost his entire career.

Shaw's recurring brainfarts are more damaging to the team than Teravainen going 90% for a couple strides..which I haven't seen much of. TT also recovers at a far more effective rate than Shaw ever could or will.

I would agree that Teravainen has looked indecisive at times and very uncomfortable with lines throughout the year, but I've never had reason to suspect he's quitting on plays or blowing off defensive assignments.

This.

"Heart" debate in and of itself as a thing notwithstanding, the notion that TT lacks it way off base in my world.

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
Is there some unwritten rule in the NHL that says you can't become a better player after age 24? Andrew Shaw is 24 years old. I'm willing to believe that he can still become a much better player and skating with Toews and Hossa could force him to better his game. He's the same age as some of the guys coming up from Rockford. I'd hate to see Shaw go. He's the one guy on the team who is completely fearless and since he's been playing on that top line, Toews seems to be finding his game. Yes, he makes stupid penalties, but I think he can learn to fix that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is there some unwritten rule in the NHL that says you can't become a better player after age 24? Andrew Shaw is 24 years old. I'm willing to believe that he can still become a much better player and skating with Toews and Hossa could force him to better his game. He's the same age as some of the guys coming up from Rockford. I'd hate to see Shaw go. He's the one guy on the team who is completely fearless and since he's been playing on that top line, Toews seems to be finding his game. Yes, he makes stupid penalties, but I think he can learn to fix that.

No, but the pure skill to become a true impact forward isn't there.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Shaw is definitely an impact player.
Don't confused impact with flashy.

He is never going to be a Kane. But he has been very important in '13 and '15 wins

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

He may become a better/more consistent player

But Hawks simply cant afford to lock down longterm support players such as Shaw

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Shaw is definitely an impact player.
Don't confused impact with flashy.

He is never going to be a Kane. But he has been very important in '13 and '15 wins

I get that this is entirely a semantics debate, but I have a hard time considering Shaw an impact player.

And heart is absolutely a thing. It's not really tangible and determining between some and a little bit more than some isn't possible, but you know it when you see it.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Shaw is irreplaceable!

Any of you armchair GM's think that you know better have your heads shoved too far up your *****!

Shaw goes to the toughest parts of the rink to earn his paycheck and has pretty good hands for a 3rd /4th liner.

Go through every roster in this League and you won't find a comparable player.

Shaw is a nice bottom 6 guy. He's definitely far eclipsed what pretty much everyone projected him as. He has a great motor. He's reined in his bad instincts. There's a lot to admire. But irreplaceable? C'mon.

Unless he takes a very, very favorable (to the Hawks) contract, he's gone. The Hawks simply can't afford a $2.5M+ Andrew Shaw.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

No, but I think there should be a written rule that players don't get taller, extend their wingspan, or get faster after the age of 24. Speed, size, and reach mean we've likely seen the best of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad