Andrew Shaw

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Shaw has been absolutely godawful this season.

I'll save everybody the avalanche of stats - traditional and fancy - that demonstrate this, cause I'm pretty sure it's obvious enough through the eye test. He has regressed in every area of his game save faceoffs, which he shouldn't even be taking because he's not a very good center.

He has without question been the Hawks worst player this season. I would even put him below Oduya and Roszival at this point.

My hope is that when Versteeg gets healthy, Shaw gets busted down to 4th line wing, where he can fight for ice time with Carcillo and Nordstrom. But that's not particularly likely, given that Q refuses to cut back his ice time regardless of how poorly he plays.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Shaws craptacular offense is still better than Carcillos or Nordstroms and hes a gamer, something that eludes Nordstrom and other euros so far.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He's not that good a player. But he's well liked by the fanbase.

I'd love to see Hartman get things going because my sense of him is he's a more skilled version of Shaw.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

I'll save everybody the avalanche of stats - traditional and fancy - that demonstrate this, cause I'm pretty sure it's obvious enough through the eye test. He has regressed in every area of his game save faceoffs, which he shouldn't even be taking because he's not a very good center.

He has without question been the Hawks worst player this season. I would even put him below Oduya and Roszival at this point.

My hope is that when Versteeg gets healthy, Shaw gets busted down to 4th line wing, where he can fight for ice time with Carcillo and Nordstrom. But that's not particularly likely, given that Q refuses to cut back his ice time regardless of how poorly he plays.

If you hadn't made this thread I would have. While there were many areas of the Hawk's game that were off, namely their passing (which has been horrific, mainly because guys like Saad pass up scoring ops for senseless passes), Shaw sabotaged what was an otherwise great team effort. Although Rundblad didn't make the greatest of plays on the first goal, I still don't know WTF Shaw was doing during that sequence (it literally looked like he was taking a victory lap around the net). He then continues the laziness with the penalty that resulted in the 2nd goal. Tonight's "performance" was one of the sorriest efforts I've seen from a Hawk player all season. The others? Shaw probably has a third of those too.

Shaw is just a worthless all around player this season. His offense is non existent and he is the biggest defensive liability (considering position and ice time) on the team. Moreover he's extremely lazy and stupid which is exemplified by his penchant for being out of position and committing mind-numbing penalties.

Move Kruger up to 3rd line center, Smith to 4th line center, and move Shaw to wing. Even better find a way to get Shaw out of here and permanently keep one of the Rockford as 4th line center (won't happen with Q but we can dream can't we?). Aside from 1/4 season Bickell, most of the guys who've sucked this year have age as an excuse (Hossa offensively and Rosy) aside from Oduya. Shaw has taken suckage to an whole other level.

As much as I'd like Rosy out of the lineup, this team would be soooo much better with Shaw out of the lineup. I'd have to think the Hawks could package him to someone, even if we don't get much in return. Rockford is littered with players that could exceed Shaw's contributions. I'm tired of watching him play.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Shaw's been terrible at both ends of the ice. And his penalty last night was ridiculous.

It won't happen, but he should be a healthy scratch for a few games.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

I agree - when 23 comes back... leave 29/91/88 (seems like the only way 29 stays interested and skates)

10/23/86
28/16/65

or better yet- Ross- is a smarter version of Shaw!!! Next injury- bring up Ross for a Look!!!

Nothingman*

Shaw's been terrible at both ends of the ice. And his penalty last night was ridiculous.

It won't happen, but he should be a healthy scratch for a few games.
D has been worse than his O. Let alone the stupid penalties.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
While Shaw isn't being benched, Q did stick him on fourth line wing (replacing Smith who's getting some time with Sharp and TT) during practice.

Q also remove Runblad from the PP in favor of Shaw.

Crow

May 19, 2014
While Shaw isn't being benched, Q did stick him on fourth line wing (replacing Smith who's getting some time with Sharp and TT) during practice.

You want Shaw on the 4th line and on the 2nd pp instead of a dman?

Crow

May 19, 2014
I agree - when 23 comes back... leave 29/91/88 (seems like the only way 29 stays interested and skates)

10/23/86
28/16/65

or better yet- Ross- is a smarter version of Shaw!!! Next injury- bring up Ross for a Look!!!
I suspect TT would center that line, ready or not.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

That's an idiotic move.

Unfortunately it comes as no surprise.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
You want Shaw on the 4th line and on the 2nd pp instead of a dman?

Did I say I wanted him on the PP? No, I did not.

But Q is obviously not happy with Shaw right now. Maybe he's thinking that a demotion could wake him up and having him on the PP is a chance of doing what he's supposed to, deflecting pucks and blocking the goalie's view.

Though, because it's Q, Shaw is most likely only getting time on the PP because of Rundblad screwing up yesterday.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Honestly I am starting to think of Shaw as a trade candidate

With Danault/Hartman in system if we can move Shaw and get a #4 defender or young NHL defender with top 4 potential I would do it

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Honestly I am starting to think of Shaw as a trade candidate

With Danault/Hartman in system if we can move Shaw and get a #4 defender or young NHL defender with top 4 potential I would do it

There's no way you can expect Shaw to net a #4 dman. Right now he would maybe be worth a 5. Maybe there's a team dumb enough to do it but I just don't see it. If we can see he's been worthless I'm sure most of the scouts/GMs have as well.

I just want him out of here at this point. Anything good would be a bonus.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There's no way you can expect Shaw to net a #4 dman. Right now he would maybe be worth a 5. Maybe there's a team dumb enough to do it but I just don't see it. If we can see he's been worthless I'm sure most of the scouts/GMs have as well.

I just want him out of here at this point. Anything good would be a bonus.

I was thinking with Flyers sellers and Coburn at 1 year left at 4.5M that something based around Shaw + for Coburn with Flyers retaining 1M could be viable

Coburn at 3.5M next year is affordable and can slot into 2nd pair opposite Hammer (Replacing departing UFA Oduya)

Try to get Coburn for Shaw + Erixon + ? at deadline this year

Crow

May 19, 2014
Did I say I wanted him on the PP? No, I did not.

But Q is obviously not happy with Shaw right now. Maybe he's thinking that a demotion could wake him up and having him on the PP is a chance of doing what he's supposed to, deflecting pucks and blocking the goalie's view.

Though, because it's Q, Shaw is most likely only getting time on the PP because of Rundblad screwing up yesterday.
It was a question. I still don't understand what you were trying to say. That Q already did that?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It was a question. I still don't understand what you were trying to say. That Q already did that?

Sorry, must've mistook your comment.

Twitter is saying that shaw was moved to the fourth line and is getting pp time instead of rundblad.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
The Hawks would be lucky to get a 7th dman for Shaw. He's terrible, and his career numbers mean nothing. Just a horrendous and worthless hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad