Andrew Shaw

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Should we extend Shaw before Kruger?

No. Shaw's a replaceable player. What he "does" might not be, but you could bring in an entry level player that's better defensively, slightly less so offensively, and one that won't commit 80 mins worth of numbskull penalties (negative value) at a fraction of the cost.

Shaw partially redeemed himself these playoffs, but there is no comparison between he and Kruger as far as importance goes. I'd give Krugs at least a >>> lead in that department. Anyone who extends Shaw before Kruger is an absolute fool.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Shaw was back with the top line during this morning's practice, that made me curious about everyone's current opinion of him.

There are a lot of things we could discuss; Do you think he's a fit with Toews and Hossa? How important is he to this team now and in the future? Should he be extended, and if so, what type of contract would you be okay with him getting? Is he just a guy who can be easily replaced by Hartman?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Shaw was back with the top line during this morning's practice, that made me curious about everyone's current opinion of him.

There are a lot of things we could discuss; Do you think he's a fit with Toews and Hossa? How important is he to this team now and in the future? Should he be extended, and if so, what type of contract would you be okay with him getting? Is he just a guy who can be easily replaced by Hartman?

Speaks to the incompetence of Joel Quenneville when it comes to roster management. Andrew Shaw has no place on the top line of any team in the NHL.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
not sure why Q doesn't break the P-Arty line up to shake things up...I mean he can re-unite them later if he wants.....

I agree that shaw should not be a top 6 player...

I would like to see this

Dano-JT-Kane
Panarin-AA-TT
Shaw-Rasmusson-Hossa
desi-Danault- garbutt

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
not sure why Q doesn't break the P-Arty line up to shake things up...I mean he can re-unite them later if he wants.....

I agree that shaw should not be a top 6 player...

I would like to see this

Dano-JT-Kane
Panarin-AA-TT
Shaw-Rasmusson-Hossa
desi-Danault- garbutt

I would rather see this.

72-19-81
86-15-88
65-70-Morin (Dano/Bickell/McNeill/etc)
11-24-28

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I would rather see this.

72-19-81
86-15-88
65-70-Morin (Dano/Bickell/McNeill/etc)
11-24-28

not so bad if 72 would just shoot more......IMO he needs to be split from Kane cause he seems focused on playing keep away....

TT could very well work with AA and Kaner IMO....I have suggested that line several times...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
not so bad if 72 would just shoot more......IMO he needs to be split from Kane cause he seems focused on playing keep away....

TT could very well work with AA and Kaner IMO....I have suggested that line several times...

TT improves the 2nd lines d as well. AP just needs to do what TT did and be more aggressive with his shot.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
TT improves the 2nd lines d as well. AP just needs to do what TT did and be more aggressive with his shot.

TT looks like a player who has had issues handling the physicality of the NHL and it has got into his head. The talent is there but it's not enough - the heart is questionable at best. Shaw and TT are exact opposites in that regard.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TT looks like a player who has had issues handling the physicality of the NHL and it has got into his head. The talent is there but it's not enough - the heart is questionable at best. Shaw and TT are exact opposites in that regard.

I disagree about TT. He like all fins before him take longer. Shaw's heart is not always the best.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I disagree about TT. He like all fins before him take longer. Shaw's heart is not always the best.

I hope you're right about TT .... but if you question the heart of Shaw, you must also question the heart of most of the team. Certainly something along those lines is missing these days. Hawks are regularly outworked.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

He's still adjusting and adjusting to moving around in the lineup. I think he's doing better than where Granlund was 2 years ago in terms of adjusting to the NHL.

How can his "heart" be questioned but not Shaw's? Personally I think the term "heart" should go the way of Sean Avery in uniform, it's terribly vague because discipline and awareness is every bit as "hearty" as effort. Effort also sucks in terms of describing a player because Hossa looks like he's going 75% almost his entire career.

Shaw's recurring brainfarts are more damaging to the team than Teravainen going 90% for a couple strides..which I haven't seen much of. TT also recovers at a far more effective rate than Shaw ever could or will.

I would agree that Teravainen has looked indecisive at times and very uncomfortable with lines throughout the year, but I've never had reason to suspect he's quitting on plays or blowing off defensive assignments.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Saying that Teravainen's 'heart' is 'questionable at best' is a ridiculous statement to make. But I suppose he's not noted character guy Bryan Bickell, so maybe that's where your disapproval comes in.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Talking about any player's heart is pretty pointless, since we're not in their heads or in their bodies. We have no idea what theyre thinking or how hard theyre pushing themselves physically.

Its all guesswork influenced by pre-existencing biases and observed results.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Studies show that heart is directly proportional to hitz. No room for those soft euros on this team. No sir, hockey ability belongs in the KHL. Here in the big leagues, it's all about heart. :sarcasm:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Talking about any player's heart is pretty pointless, since we're not in their heads or in their bodies. We have no idea what theyre thinking or how hard theyre pushing themselves physically.

Its all guesswork influenced by pre-existencing biases and observed results.

I agree with this. How a player skates can make you think he is not skating hard and so can how they are with the puck (if the are overly calm). Example - When Hossa/Toews are on their horse you can tell but when Kane/Pavel D. is on there horse it looks like it take a lot more effort. Lindstom was another player than made it look effortless. You can try to judge a players heart but honestly it is not possible to truly judge it.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
To be perfectly honest, I don't know what will happen with Shaw, and if he does go, I think the Hawks will miss him more than we may think (at least in the short term). I think he is very well liked by his teammates and by coach Q, so they may find a way to keep him around a little longer.

As far as a replacement within the org: No one player has proven to me that they can effectively replace him. It would be nice if a Hartman or even a Ross could step in and have the same impact, but right now, the way I see it - when it comes to established players the closest thing we have to Shaw, is Garbutt. I wouldn't be opposed to Shaw hanging around for another year or so. Of course money talks, and his status could very well come down to how badly he wants to remain a Hawk. This will be the reality for most of the bottom 6 players for years to come.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yup, people keep saying Shaw is replaceable, yet no one has come in and done his job as well as he has done it for the Hawks, in meaningful games. Hartman has the potential, but it may take longer than people think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad