Andrew Shaw

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Shaw is definitely an impact player.
Don't confused impact with flashy.

He is never going to be a Kane. But he has been very important in '13 and '15 wins

And every Hawk player will agree with you.

I get that this is entirely a semantics debate, but I have a hard time considering Shaw an impact player.

And heart is absolutely a thing. It's not really tangible and determining between some and a little bit more than some isn't possible, but you know it when you see it.

No need to look very hard to see Shaw has heart in his game. He may lack the skill of most top 6 players and consistency in his game sometimes but when he's going, he most definitely has an impact.

Heart is a real thing that is really hard to judge completely. Shaw has it.

He wouldn't be in the NHL without that big heart.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
No need to look very hard to see Shaw has heart in his game.

Heart without brains makes a team just as likely to lose as a player taking weak strides but to the right areas.

Shaw can take his all the hearty grindy goodness and put it into an equipment bag if he's bringing it (assuming everybody thinks the same thing of what "heart" is) without situational awareness and sound decision making...because he's not fast or big enough to get away with leaving the brains at home.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Heart without brains makes a team just as likely to lose as a player taking weak strides but to the right areas.

Shaw can take his all the hearty grindy goodness and put it into an equipment bag if he's bringing it (assuming everybody thinks the same thing of what "heart" is) without situational awareness and sound decision making...because he's not fast or big enough to get away with leaving the brains at home.

1.75 for Shaw because he's not versatile enough defensively

I'm not sure it will be that low, but there is little doubt in my mind that Shaw will get low-balled by Stan and the decision will be his. An ELC (or close to it) will likely take his job, if he goes... likely Hartman, but guys like Ross, McNeil and perhaps others will be in the running.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Bowman wouldn't insult Shaw or his agent with an offer at less than 2.25 over 3 or more years. 1.75 was just my threshold. There are a bunch of young players that will be getting extensions soon, so I think it's very important to price Shaw correctly. It was different than the Bickell UFA situation where it was a player skill set (lack of now) that couldn't be replaced by any reasonable means. Shaw isn't so unique, so it complicates things in my opinion. As many others have speculated, he'll probably be traded before it gets to that point anyway.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Next season, yes (assuming no non-rental). After that, NFW.

I'd say post 2016-2017 its easier considering you lose 6.2M off the cap with Bickell and Scuderi (not to mention that's when we go into the Hossa retirement zone)

If Panarin and Teuvo both start demanding Saad-like deals you're right, but if that's the case we're also probably having a parade next year.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'd say post 2016-2017 its easier considering you lose 6.2M off the cap with Bickell and Scuderi (not to mention that's when we go into the Hossa retirement zone)

If Panarin and Teuvo both start demanding Saad-like deals you're right, but if that's the case we're also probably having a parade next year.

Need to maximize dough to sign TT and AP. Can't risk losing one due to $2.5 due to Shaw. 'Course, we could always trade him. He'll have value. OTOH, when you're up against the cap ceiling, best be ready to bend over.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Heart is great and all, and I truly think you need those types of guys on a cup winning team, but you can't overpay that type of player.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So if Shaw would accept $2.25 mil/3yr. and Kruger would take $2 mil/3yr. what should the Hawks do? Both of those contracts seem to be in the acceptable price range for most people here.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
So if Shaw would accept $2.25 mil/3yr. and Kruger would take $2 mil/3yr. what should the Hawks do? Both of those contracts seem to be in the acceptable price range for most people here.

Tough call. Are they worth it? Sure. Have they been VG-excellent for the Hawks? Absolutely. But we're walking the cap tightrope. Danault could be well on his way to rendering Krugs superfluous. Again, can't risk losing TT or Breadman because Shaw's on the books.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
For all the Kruger comparison's, I see Danault as much more of a Shaw replacement than a Kruger replacement.

Shaw is often frustrating to watch.

There aren't alot of bottom 6 guys with the talent to do some of the stuff he does that create chances and net him goals.

But between those flashes of talent you often get TERRIBLE positioning miscues, stupid penalties, and long stretches without any kind of impact.

I'm loathe to get rid of him though, because when it comes playoff time, Q finally gives up his dreams as Shaw as a Top 6 guy or a C of any time, and he's just allowed to run around like a cannonball out there on the 4th line wing... damn he can be really good.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Shaw shouldn't be on this team past next season. Thanks for the memories, but you've earned more than we can afford.

He'd have to take a hell of a discount to remain a hawk if I was running the show. And if he's not interested in a one year deal ship him out.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Shaw shouldn't be on this team past next season. Thanks for the memories, but you've earned more than we can afford.

He'd have to take a hell of a discount to remain a hawk if I was running the show. And if he's not interested in a one year deal ship him out.

I couldn't agree more.

Nothing against Shaw - I'm sure there will be a bunch of teams in the league that would overpay for him. I just don't want it to be us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad