Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
so, he's a 60 pts player, he's not just "hot", I see...

It's not that black and white, obviously. Domi's had a great impact on Shaw's production and I doubt he'll be the same if he's put back to centering the 4th line or whatever. A "hot stretch" to me is something like what Tatar had at the start of the season, going PPG+ for the first few games. We knew that wouldn't last as everything seemed to go in. Shaw's overall play right now is absolutely in line with his production.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's not that black and white, obviously. Domi's had a great impact on Shaw's production and I doubt he'll be the same if he's put back to centering the 4th line or whatever. A "hot stretch" to me is something like what Tatar had at the start of the season, going PPG+ for the first few games. We knew that wouldn't last as everything seemed to go in. Shaw's overall play right now is absolutely in line with his production.
thing is, just like for Shaw right now, Tatar's play at the beginning of the season was on par with his production...

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Read what you want from stats, or you can actually watch Shaw play and realize he really is a good player with underrated skill and quickness.

He plays a 200ft game, always plays with energy and is more than willing to go to the tough areas and mix it up. He is a leader and his teammates love him.

The only things I ever questioned about Shaw is his discipline at times and his health.

He's a solid middle-six RW who, like Byron and Gallagher, can play up and down your lineup. He can prop up your young players or compliment your star players and not look out of place or hold them back offensively.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Read what you want from stats, or you can actually watch Shaw play and realize he really is a good player with underrated skill and quickness.

He plays a 200ft game, always plays with energy and is more than willing to go to the tough areas and mix it up. He is a leader and his teammates love him.

The only things I ever questioned about Shaw is his discipline at times and his health.

He's a solid middle-six RW who, like Byron and Gallagher, can play up and down your lineup. He can prop up your young players or compliment your star players and not look out of place or hold them back offensively.
Shaw has always been a good player. Ironically, his concussion injuries only started when he joined our team. Other players have had multiple concussions and recovered; hopefully Shaw's past that stage. Just checked -- he's only 27. Good guy to have.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Gallagher is not a guy to play 4th line, come on!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Ya let’s oretend the 2 best players of the 2nd round BY FAR would have been the picks lol
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/06/25/quand-le-plan-

No clue if you speak french but timmins has hinted many times that he realy liked girard at the draft and his plan derailed in the second round and keeps mentioning girard girard when he speaks about it, sounds like someone who was pissed and is trying to tell what was his plan to get credit, lets not act like timmins didnt come with this in 2018 where girard already blossomed, the comments were directly after draft, it’s fair theres a very high chance to say girard would probably be an habs if that trade didnt happen.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/06/25/quand-le-plan-

No clue if you speak french but timmins has hinted many times that he realy liked girard at the draft and his plan derailed in the second round and keeps mentioning girard girard when he speaks about it, sounds like someone who was pissed and is trying to tell what was his plan to get credit, lets not act like timmins didnt come with this in 2018 where girard already blossomed, the comments were directly after draft, it’s fair theres a very high chance to say girard would probably be an habs if that trade didnt happen.
Then stop talking Debrincat

Reactions: Vachon23

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Strawman.

My point is that this "up and down the lineup" thing is kind of crap. Almost any good player can play on any top-3 line. When people say that a guy can play up and down, they mean he can play on the fourth as well as a top line. Byron fits that bill. Gallagher does not.

So who is Shaw closer to: Byron or Gallagher?

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
My point is that this "up and down the lineup" thing is kind of crap. Almost any good player can play on any top-3 line. When people say that a guy can play up and down, they mean he can play on the fourth as well as a top line. Byron fits that bill. Gallagher does not.

So who is Shaw closer to: Byron or Gallagher?

Don't nitpick and put words in my mouth based upon what other "people mean when they say" something similar. It's obvious you're looking for a fight.

This thread is about Shaw, not Gallagher. I said what I said about Shaw, leave it at that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Don't nitpick and put words in my mouth based upon what other "people mean when they say" something similar. It's obvious you're looking for a fight.

This thread is about Shaw, not Gallagher. I said what I said about Shaw, leave it at that.

And I stand by my own assessment. Shaw does not belong on the fourth line. He is a legit established top-9 player and does not deserve backhanded compliments. I'm not saying you were trying to slight him, it actually looked like you weren't, but you are being too deferential to the group that does suggest he be dumped, traded for scraps or played on the fourth line. If I had to pick a fight, it would be with the dumper crowd.

I think you like Shaw, so if I'm right, stick up for him strongly. Around here, he needs his defenders to be forthright.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
And I stand by my own assessment. Shaw does not belong on the fourth line. He is a legit established top-9 player and does not deserve backhanded compliments. I'm not saying you were trying to slight him, it actually looked like you weren't, but you are being too deferential to the group that does suggest he be dumped, traded for scraps or played on the fourth line. If I had to pick a fight, it would be with the dumper crowd.

I think you like Shaw, so if I'm right, stick up for him strongly. Around here, he needs his defenders to be forthright.

Trust me, I was one of the few that stood up for Shaw against that very group here, the main boards and on Twitter since we got him. He's a legit top-9 forward, maybe even top-6.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Trust me, I was one of the few that stood up for Shaw against that very group here, the main boards and on Twitter since we got him. He's a legit top-9 forward, maybe even top-6.

That's better, mate!

We don't need the roster-destroyer group saying "even his fans think Shaw is a fourth liner who can move up in a pinch, so let's trade him for any pick we can get and get younger!"

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's a legit top-9 forward, maybe even top-6.

So let's say he's not the 59 point guy he is on pace for. We take the last 82 games and he scored 50 points though not always with a decent centerman. But I think we can safely say 50.

That is 0.61 ppg which would put Andrew at 28th among right wings over the two seasons. Again, even his fans understate his performance. In fact, 28th would place him as a straight second line player who could be a first line RW on a bad team.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I wasn’t a fan of Shawzie but he was slowly starting to win me over last season, his concussion ruined his good run. He has been absolutely amazing for us this season. He’s a good player when he’s healthy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad