Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not sure we can throw a 18th vs 11th pick scenario here, many things would have had to or would have to happen, to many ifs. The way the race is right now, there’s no way we are going to just collapse. The best we can hope for is some playoff excitement. If we are concerning ourselves with draft positioning right now I think we are just wasting our time because it won’t change much. It’s playoffs or bust! Go Habs Go!

We had these conversations back in November. Some were jealous of Buffalo and how good they had become after sucking for 7 years. But now Buffalo is near the bottom yet again, and it's not because they are shrewd tankers but because the players they have aren't as good, collectively, as people thought. That drop in value is much bigger than the difference in draft rank is worth.

Therefore, TODAY, the Sabres' future looks worse than it did in November when people thought they would make the playoffs.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
We had these conversations back in November. Some were jealous of Buffalo and how good they had become after sucking for 7 years. But now Buffalo is near the bottom yet again, and it's not because they are shrewd tankers but because the players they have aren't as good, collectively, as people thought. That drop in value is much bigger than the difference draft rank is worth.

Therefore, TODAY, the Sabres' future looks worse than it did in November when people thought they would make the playoffs.
Screw the draft, we have all the players we need minus 2 veteran NHL LDs and one of Duchene or Panarin, preferably Duchene.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Screw the draft, we have all the players we need minus 2 veteran NHL LDs and one of Duchene or Panarin, preferably Duchene.
It's not about ignoring the draft, however CONTEXT matters.

Right now, we have the equivalent of four first round picks not yet pro. Most teams have one or two. So, our pipeline is not empty, and there are another 10 picks this year to be made.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
It's not about ignoring the draft, however CONTEXT matters.

Right now, we have the equivalent of four first round picks not yet pro. Most teams have one or two. So, our pipeline is not empty, and there are another 10 picks this year to be made.
Exactly, we are beyond stacked right now at the prospect level, we need 2 x LD.

If we don’t get 2 NHL caliber LDs and an impactful top 6 forward we will never win a cup with this core.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
nashville! I’m not sure i get your point?
I'm wondering if it's fair to just pick the best player available at that point and say the Habs would have drafted him had they not made the Shaw trade. Even DeBrincat might not have been the Habs' pick.

Second round picks have an expected value. You might get DeBrincat or Girard or Romanov (pick acquired FROM Chicago ironically), or you might get Sebastian Collberg, Zach Fucale or Dalton Thrower.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I'm wondering if it's fair to just pick the best player available at that point and say the Habs would have drafted him had they not made the Shaw trade. Even DeBrincat might not have been the Habs' pick.

Second round picks have an expected value. You might get DeBrincat or Girard or Romanov (pick acquired FROM Chicago ironically), or you might get Sebastian Collberg, Zach Fucale or Dalton Thrower.
I still don’t get your who drafted girard comment, sounds like you were going to say he wasn’t available even if the shaw trade didn’t happen. I’m pretty sure i have read somewhere girard was in timmins radar.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yep, only for 11 games though. Saying he was average for half the season is an exaggeration
are you sure it's not 10.5 games ? :facepalm:

fyi, saying he was bad for 11 games is just an opinion not a fact, my stat watching friend!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
thanks for correcting me, appears he was not average at the beginning of the season, he was bad.
Take the whole body of his work, good and bad.

He is the 87th forward in PPG which is low first line production. But centers are generally more productive than wingers. Among wingers, Shaw is 40th, when there are 62 first line wingers.

That's a good contributor.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Take the whole body of his work, good and bad.

He is the 87th forward in PPG which is low first line production. But centers are generally more productive than wingers. Among wingers, Shaw is 40th, when there are 62 first line wingers.

That's a good contributor.
don't know why you're tellinh me this, I am not the one who think he was bad...

wake up!

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
not really no.

He's red hot right now, playing very well, but he's been average the first half of his season.

He was an immediate fit for the Domi line when he was promoted to play there. It's not a honeymoon/hot stretch thing that sometimes comes with switching lines, him and Domi simply have chemistry. Been great to watch Shaw this year.

Reactions: Vachon23

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He was an immediate fit for the Domi line when he was promoted to play there. It's not a honeymoon/hot stretch thing that sometimes comes with switching lines, him and Domi simply have chemistry. Been great to watch Shaw this year.
so, he's a 60 pts player, he's not just "hot", I see...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad