Prospect Info: Andrew Nielsen

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
And one of the worst skaters hence showing that skating is not as important for a forward versus a defensman.

Jagr at one time was a decent skater, 20 years ago. He made a career of using his size and hands to perfection but his skating wasn't that bad. He's no Jason Allison.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm not knocking the kid I want him to work out as much as anyone on here
It's not that he looks ugly getting there (from my limited views) it's that he struggles to get there full stop
I'm not saying he CANT get there I'm saying it's going to take some hard work and even then it might not be enough

The question with Nielsen is how much better does his skating actually need to get for him to be a top 4 D? Which is what this team desperately needs
From my veiws of him a fair bit

The way we play and the way the league is going I think you're right. There is always just blind luck though, he could just be this miraculous nhl savant! Lol

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Jagr at one time was a decent skater, 20 years ago. He made a career of using his size and hands to perfection but his skating wasn't that bad. He's no Jason Allison.

Man second time in 2 threads I've been Allisoned hahaha.
Hands of goal, feet of lead!

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
I don't understand this top "four" talk. When you're on the ice for 17 minutes or 23 minutes, you better be able to play NHL good.

This is the best post ever.

In all seriousness regarding Nielsen.

Is his skating really THAT poor?
Granted I've only seen him play live 7 times - I just don't see that big of an issue. He's already faster than people like Franson and even a guy like Polak imo.

Even pretty agile when he sees a scoring opportunity.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This is the best post ever.

In all seriousness regarding Nielsen.

Is his skating really THAT poor?
Granted I've only seen him play live 7 times - I just don't see that big of an issue. He's already faster than people like Franson and even a guy like Polak imo.

Even pretty agile when he sees a scoring opportunity.

Id respectfully disagree.
His skating is below par for good AHL players. His issue is going to be (IMO) he is not overly physical and doesnt have a big mean streak, so his ability to skate and use his stick are that much more needed.

To play in Babs system you need to be able to quickly jump up from the point, and transition quickly back when a play dies or is broken up.

Id say right now his skating would be roughyl on par with where Hal Gill was in his 'prime', just Hal Gill was physical and played in a more clutch and grab league.

If you can get him really dedicated for a full summer to box jumps and other explosive movements he would probably see a huge benefit. *Doesnt hurt he will be a year more physically mature*

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
His skating is below par for good AHL players. His issue is going to be (IMO) he is not overly physical and doesnt have a big mean streak, so his ability to skate and use his stick are that much more needed.

To play in Babs system you need to be able to quickly jump up from the point, and transition quickly back when a play dies or is broken up.

Id say right now his skating would be roughyl on par with where Hal Gill was in his 'prime', just Hal Gill was physical and played in a more clutch and grab league.

If you can get him really dedicated for a full summer to box jumps and other explosive movements he would probably see a huge benefit. *Doesnt hurt he will be a year more physically mature*

Nah sorry man he's a way better skater than Hal Gill.
I honestly just can't trust the so called scouts around here after the reports that Marners skating was below par.

He's already a better skater than Polak. I'd recommend anyone who lives in the GTA to head to a Marlies game soon to see this kid and Kapanen.

He definitely needs work but Hal Gill comparisons are way off.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Nah sorry man he's a way better skater than Hal Gill.
I honestly just can't trust the so called scouts around here after the reports that Marners skating was below par.

He's already a better skater than Polak. I'd recommend anyone who lives in the GTA to head to a Marlies game soon to see this kid and Kapanen.

He definitely needs work but Hal Gill comparisons are way off.

Cant help feeling you didnt watch much young Hal Gill. He wasnt nearly the worst NHL skater, and was fine once he got going. Early 2000's Hal Gill had the speed, but the the first step of the edge work.

To the poster who talked about 'doesnt matter how it looks' I couldnt disagree more. The reason people want players, especially D, who skate "effortlessly" is because of the amount of minutes they play. You need to have an efficient stride if you want to play 22+minutes a night. Thats why 'water bug' skaters are fine if they are plugs because they usually only play 10-12 mins.

amack081

Nov 1, 2015
First of all, his skating isn't Hal Gill or Jason Allison esk. His skating reminds me of that of McCabe with slightly better lateral movement. His weakness is that he pushes off and glides with his legs too spread apart (opens up his hips and put his into a position where he creates a big circle) which prevents him from getting optimum acceleration and balance. This is a mechanics thing that can be corrected. He also needs work on his outside edge work, which again can be corrected.

He will never be a Neidermayer but if he's able to make these adjustments then skating will be a non-factor.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
And one of the worst skaters hence showing that skating is not as important for a forward versus a defensman.

Yes as a man in his 40s his skating is bad but in his 20s his skating was very good and very much an asset. I grew up a huge Jagr fan I know him very well. My point was Jagr is a generational talent with the puck and therefore he's a bad example. If Jagr's puck protection skills and hockey I.Q. weren't among the best in NHL history his current skating would be a huge issue. The bottom line is if you're not a generational talent skating issues will halt your NHL career at any position.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yes as a man in his 40s his skating is bad but in his 20s his skating was very good and very much an asset. I grew up a huge Jagr fan I know him very well. My point was Jagr is a generational talent with the puck and therefore he's a bad example. If Jagr's puck protection skills and hockey I.Q. weren't among the best in NHL history his current skating would be a huge issue. The bottom line is if you're not a generational talent skating issues will halt your NHL career at any position.

There were non generational talented forwards in abundance that made the nhl which is to my point that for a forward skating is not as important as it is for a defensman.
I'm not here to argue weather or not Jagr could skate well or not.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Man second time in 2 threads I've been Allisoned hahaha.
Hands of goal, feet of lead!

Dude skated like he was playing old man's rec league. Seeing him in person was even worse somehow. It was like he never pushed, just kinda cruised along.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Here is a article with some early history of how he managed to come theough to us. The bottom of the link has another link that is read worthy too. http://bsndenver.com/nhl-draft-prospect-profile-andrew-nielsen/

This is the other article that i mentioned. The answers he easily gave to tough questions were pretty goal oriented. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...nielsen--lethbridge-hurricanes-000553103.html

This guy has come a long way quick and i think it has everything to do with a good attitude and character.

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I disagree with your description of him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Nielsen needs this year with Keefe and the Marlies. He was good all through the pre-season,rookie camp and rookie tournament and main camp. His skating is good and he is multi dimensional in his game. He finished third in points behind 7th pick overall by Philly, Provorov! In doing so he tied for the lead for all Whl decensemen with 122 Pims.

Where areyou getting that he doesn't have a mean streak. He will brutalize players that want to challenge the front of the net in particular. He is not shy to lay a hard slash across your wrist for instance if you bother his goalie.

His lateral movements when quaterbacking the power play is high quality. He can and should work on quickness like all big men. I think you are way off to the point of completely. Almost Completely.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
This guy will become better than Franson. Franson had a year where people were actually contemplating signing him to a massively fat albatross contract. All because he had a great shot from the point. This kid has agility laterally on the line and can get by a man or two to get in even closer .

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Nielsen doesn't have a mean streak?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
His lateral movements when quaterbacking the power play is high quality. He can and should work on quickness like all big men. I think you are way off to the point of completely. Almost Completely.

I agree with this. I find his lateral strength to be very good as well. In fact i find it impressive. I think to some degree, the perception of slowness is more in a raw young player needing time. Quickness and polish need work.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Nielsen doesn't have a mean streak?

:dunno:

Has he really seen him play?

When I was reading his comment it made me wonder if I was on the right thread. I've seen Nielsen swing the lumber pretty hard around the net & his Prongerish demeanor is one of his attributes I like.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree with this. I find his lateral strength to be very good as well. In fact i find it impressive. I think to some degree, the perception of slowness is more in a raw young player needing time. Quickness and polish need work.

Watch when he walks he blueline then watch gardiner or rielly do it.
He is raw as you say but moving sideways is his weak point right now. His pivots are a bit clunky too when he is moving at speed.
Lots of time for him to improve in these areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad