Prospect Info: Andrew Nielsen

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If Nielsen had any sort of defensive hockey IQ, nobody would be complaining about his skating ability. It still needs work, but his IQ is going to keep him from the NHL regardless of whether it improves or not. That is unless it becomes like Gardiner's level of skating, in which case he can become a highly unreliable offensive defenseman in the NHL.
His IQ in the only time I seen him in preseason was horrible as I said in this thread. I have seen some Marlie games and have not been impressed at all with his poor processing of the game. Still his feet are a huge issue and remain the biggest reason why he will struggle to stay relevant even in the AHL. He is under contract for two more years as his ELC slides.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
This is a stupid question, because it never happens...but could someone like him hypothetically become a 4th line winger. Someone who stands in front of the net and plays physical etc. Like when Chicago had Buff has a forward? Would never happen. But a player like him would have no shot being an NHL defenseman. But he has stronger offensive instincts than say, Gauthier.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This is a stupid question, because it never happens...but could someone like him hypothetically become a 4th line winger. Someone who stands in front of the net and plays physical etc. Like when Chicago had Buff has a forward? Would never happen. But a player like him would have no shot being an NHL defenseman. But he has stronger offensive instincts than say, Gauthier.
I believe Wendell was a Dman in junior, so it can happen. I am sure there are other examples,Big Buff is a good one. Personally felt Gardiner would be a decent winger.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

I'd totally be down with trying him on Gauthiers wing next year.
He has a hell of a shot and can hit pretty well. Him as a forward beating down on a D would be formidable

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
His IQ in the only time I seen him in preseason was horrible as I said in this thread. I have seen some Marlie games and have not been impressed at all with his poor processing of the game. Still his feet are a huge issue and remain the biggest reason why he will struggle to stay relevant even in the AHL. He is under contract for two more years as his ELC slides.

Once again, that easily is his defensive IQ. If he knew how to play a better defensive game, he'd be playing every day. He'd probably be on the PK, and playing key situations. He'd be one of the Leafs' top prospects.

Do you really think he's a worse skater than someone like Marincin? He's not. He wouldn't be able to rush or play as strong of an offensive game as he does if he did. The only difference is that Marincin is easily the best and smartest defensive player on that team by far (especially once Dermott left), and knows how to stop people even with his lacklustre skating ability. It's why Marincin should be given another shot in the NHL.

Skating is important, but you can make the NHL with skating ability like Nielsen's. You can not make the NHL with defensive IQ like Nielsen's. That is why Dubas placed a heavy emphasis on hockey IQ in this past draft. That's also probably why Dubas picked guys like Kizimov even though all of his highlights make it look like he's skating in molasses. You can teach skating if you have a guy who is willing and able to absorb the information. If you do not have the hockey mind to have the fundamentals and then some by 18, you are never going to have the hockey mind for the NHL.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Once again, that easily is his defensive IQ. If he knew how to play a better defensive game, he'd be playing every day. He'd probably be on the PK, and playing key situations. He'd be one of the Leafs' top prospects.

Do you really think he's a worse skater than someone like Marincin? He's not. He wouldn't be able to rush or play as strong of an offensive game as he does if he did. The only difference is that Marincin is easily the best and smartest defensive player on that team by far (especially once Dermott left), and knows how to stop people even with his lacklustre skating ability. It's why Marincin should be given another shot in the NHL.

Skating is important, but you can make the NHL with skating ability like Nielsen's. You can not make the NHL with defensive IQ like Nielsen's. That is why Dubas placed a heavy emphasis on hockey IQ in this past draft. That's also probably why Dubas picked guys like Kizimov even though all of his highlights make it look like he's skating in molasses. You can teach skating if you have a guy who is willing and able to absorb the information. If you do not have the hockey mind to have the fundamentals and then some by 18, you are never going to have the hockey mind for the NHL.
Sorry but you are simply wrong. Marincin is a vastly better skater then him. It is his transition sksting that has caused him to be a liability playing against the rush that has held him back and will continue to hold him back. It is something that defines a D man as they are simply a pylon if their transition skating is similar to his. Finn had a high IQ but similarly bad feet.

Last thing you can not teach away bad feet it is an atribute that you are born with. If you could teach away bad feet it would happen with all similar afflicted players and it simply does not happen as it is a genetic issue.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sorry but you are simply wrong. Marincin is a vastly better skater then him. It is his transition sksting that has caused him to be a liability playing against the rush that has held him back and will continue to hold him back. It is something that defines a D man as they are simply a pylon if their transition skating is similar to his. Finn had a high IQ but similarly bad feet.

Last thing you can not teach away bad feet it is an atribute that you are born with. If you could teach away bad feet it would happen with all similar afflicted players and it simply does not happen as it is a genetic issue.
I wouldn't say its fully genetic, but it obviously plays a part.

I'd say a significant issue with it, is that movements develop naturally and the fundamental aspects of skating are really hard to correct. You can try to create better habits, but in game situations (or situations under stress) people tend to revert to what previously came naturally to them. So, to fix that type of stuff is basically re-learning how to walk or run. Whereas fixing explosiveness is much easier due to it generally being a strength issue. Yes, you can re-work your strides and edge-work, but dramatically changing them at 20 is almost an impossible task for people who have been skating since 6 or younger.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Matt Finn had major injuries in his knees. He suffered an MCL and ACL injury to his knee before we drafted him, and then he had an injury in his knee before his first pro season that really sapped him of any sort of skating ability. Or at the very least prevented his ability to develop any sort of skating ability. Let's not compare Nielsen's skating to someone who suffered major injuries to his knees before he even got going. Those poor skating skills did not stop Finn from being a highly ranked defenseman either.

If Andrew Nielsen had such genetic and unfixable skating issues that prevent him from becoming anything more than a pylon, why was he drafted at all, never mind the 3rd round? I would think anyone with any sort of hockey knowledge would know when a player will never be able to become a good enough skater.

Finally, many of those poor rush moments stem completely from making poor reads and taking poor routes. Sure his skating prevents him from making up for it, but if he was smart enough to not put himself in those spots to begin with, he would not have such a problem against the rush. That's where you see the difference between him and Marincin. You see Nielsen give the puck away, or try to force things, or go out of his way to make a big hit and totally takes himself out of position. Marincin does not do that. If you have Gardiner level skating ability you may be able to fix your mistake through pure speed, but as we have seen with Gardiner many times, it still gets you into a ton of trouble.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's 21 years old. Some NCAA guys don't even leave college until this point. He has 3 years of pro.

Give him 2-3 more seasons to label him done. However you want to see improvement this coming season

his skating is trash to the point where if he doesn't improve this season, he's finished.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Didn't Nielsen only begin playing hockey at 12? I always wondered if he could have been a late bloomer, although he seems to have stalled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad