Prospect Info: Andrew Nielsen

willyjones

May 30, 2013
As has been mentioned, it's not really his "skating", but more his edge work, pivots, change of direction etc. Basically the technical aspects.

I agree with that, his speed will not be an issues. learning his pivots and edge work and the technical part of his game will elevate him as a player, all this he can learn and work on this year and next with marlies, leafs and barb Underhill. I can see Nielsen and Dermott being used in leafs top 5 rotation in a couple years.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There's a difference between 17 minutes against guys like Eric Fehr and 23 minutes against Crosby

Well if a player could pick his 17 minutes and play against Fehr only....half the AHLers would do OK in the NHL.
But since players can't pick and chose who they play against, no matter where he "rank", if he play defence in the NHL, you better to able to play well against Crosby and everyone else.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Watch when he walks he blueline then watch gardiner or rielly do it.
He is raw as you say but moving sideways is his weak point right now. His pivots are a bit clunky too when he is moving at speed.
Lots of time for him to improve in these areas.

Over 90% of the NHL's d men can't skate like Rielly and Gards.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I love when Gardiner just goes full on cool hand look and pretends like he isn't even trying. Sort of like a boxer relaxed with his hands by his side. Now that is a guy confident in his skating.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Id respectfully disagree.
His skating is below par for good AHL players. His issue is going to be (IMO) he is not overly physical and doesnt have a big mean streak, so his ability to skate and use his stick are that much more needed.

To play in Babs system you need to be able to quickly jump up from the point, and transition quickly back when a play dies or is broken up.

Id say right now his skating would be roughyl on par with where Hal Gill was in his 'prime', just Hal Gill was physical and played in a more clutch and grab league.

If you can get him really dedicated for a full summer to box jumps and other explosive movements he would probably see a huge benefit. *Doesnt hurt he will be a year more physically mature*

Stand still, no skill, Hal gill?! Neilsens north-south isn't terrible. It's his edges and angles. Still faster than gill. The kid is going to be good. There is no doubt in my mind. I'll go on record and say he will be a starter on the leafs in 2 years.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Watch when he walks he blueline then watch gardiner or rielly do it.
He is raw as you say but moving sideways is his weak point right now. His pivots are a bit clunky too when he is moving at speed.
Lots of time for him to improve in these areas.

He has bad feet, not real bad but below average and very hard to overcome. His decision making at NHL level in the only game I saw live was horrible...but only one game so who knows and he struggled with the speed of the game so, maybe more processing at the speed of the game will see improvement.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He has bad feet, not real bad but below average and very hard to overcome. His decision making at NHL level in the only game I saw live was horrible...but only one game so who knows and he struggled with the speed of the game so, maybe more processing at the speed of the game will see improvement.

Ewww ya I was hoping it wasn't bad feet.

Could you explain how to identify bad feet? I know we spoke of this before but I don't think I asked you then.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I agree with that, his speed will not be an issues. learning his pivots and edge work and the technical part of his game will elevate him as a player, all this he can learn and work on this year and next with marlies, leafs and barb Underhill. I can see Nielsen and Dermott being used in leafs top 5 rotation in a couple years.

Barb can not fix bad feet, if she could Finn would have been an NHL player for us. She can help with stride and body position but bad feet are very hard to overcome....Remember these players have been exposed to skating instructors for a long time. Pro players do not learn pivots nor edge work.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Ewww ya I was hoping it wasn't bad feet.

Could you explain how to identify bad feet? I know we spoke of this before but I don't think I asked you then.

Clunky, and slow, players pick up their feet higher then required and lack a lot of fast twitch muscles. Easier to see on transitional skating, when changing directions, their foot work is methodical looking rather than smooth and quick looking. Watch Dion on his pivots as an example and he is only sightly below NHL level.

He has better feet than Finn did and he has a lot better body mechanics so he is not as big as a project, but I would not be counting him in as a player who would play a lot of minutes either. Hope he can improve enough to be a NHL D man as he has a lot of offensive upside.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Clunky, and slow, players pick up their feet higher then required and lack a lot of fast twitch muscles. Easier to see on transitional skating, when changing directions, their foot work is methodical looking rather than smooth and quick looking. Watch Dion on his pivots as an example and he is only sightly below NHL level.

He has better feet than Finn did and he has a lot better body mechanics so he is not as big as a project, but I would not be counting him in as a player who would play a lot of minutes either. Hope he can improve enough to be a NHL D man as he has a lot of offensive upside.

Thanks for that! Muchly appreciated. I have seen exactly what you are talking about and have been saying that this will be his issue to make the jump to the nhl. Now I know what it is.

I'm still routing for him and hoping he can get better.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Dice, I think you're being way too hard on him. Nielsen's problem is his agility purely. His top speed is actually not too bad even at this point in his development. It's a purely mechanical concept to position your body so you can cut off gaps and pathways. That is something Barb can help with. And she has been known to help players get noticeably faster. Connor Brown has made huge strides in terms of explosiveness under Barb if I'm not mistaken. Nielsen has all the hockey IQ and talent to be a top pairing D in this league. And I am talking about those two way, minute eating D, ala Shea Weber.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm optimistic he can improve his lateral mobility. I don't know what we're paying Barb Underhill but it needs to be more and she needs to be hired on a full time basis. Connor Brown and Frederik Gauthier were two prospects whose skating was going to keep them out of the NHL. Brown is a full time NHLer at 22 and I'm having trouble remembering a player improve his first step like Gauthier. He looks down right speedy.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Dice, I think you're being way too hard on him. Nielsen's problem is his agility purely. His top speed is actually not too bad even at this point in his development. It's a purely mechanical concept to position your body so you can cut off gaps and pathways. That is something Barb can help with. And she has been known to help players get noticeably faster. Connor Brown has made huge strides in terms of explosiveness under Barb if I'm not mistaken. Nielsen has all the hockey IQ and talent to be a top pairing D in this league. And I am talking about those two way, minute eating D, ala Shea Weber.

Lol; I wouldn't go as far as weber! Kid is legit though. What he has between his ears cannot be taught. The feet will be a work in progress, but you can see the progression already between Jr and now. Another year of development will do a world of good. Let have patience with this kid and he will greatly impress all of leafs nation.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'd be shocked if he's a NHL player.

I had hope for him as NHLer before last season, but maybe he is just as good as he is ever going to be. That's not good enough for the NHL.
Leafs have drafted four Dmen in the first two rounds in the past two years, plus the UFA of Rosen and Borgman. Just think Neilsen now has too many guys to jump over to be a Leaf (even if was good enough). I wish him well.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I've been a fan of Nielsen and I thought he had a chance to make the Leafs. I still think there is a chance, but obviously it's become less likely between the improved depth of defence prospects and his lack of overall improvement last season.

Assuming he is in the organization this season, it's definitely 'make or break' for him. The season after the upcoming one could potentially have several good prospects jumping up to the Marlies roster; even this season it could be crowded.

I still think it was a solid pick. Unlike some of the monsters they've drafted who had little or no skill, Nielsen put up very good numbers in the WHL and factors such as his late start in hockey made you think there was room to grow.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
He's 21 years old. Some NCAA guys don't even leave college until this point. He has 3 years of pro.

Give him 2-3 more seasons to label him done. However you want to see improvement this coming season

Reactions: Garthinater

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think he is a victim of the numbers game. Others are passing him by and he is likely headed elsewhere. The leafs are big on mobility and seem to believe speed trumps things like size and physicality. He odds of sticking with the Leafs are at best slim and after the draft guys like Sandin and Durzi passed him while he isn't even in Liljegren's league. You have Reilly, Dermott, Liljegren, Borgman,Rosen, Sandin, Durzi all in front of him. It doesn't leave much room unless he shows major improvement next year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
IIRC Nielsen's issue is his footwork in his skating, which causes him to be a bit slower off the hop. Unfortunately he may not have the defensive IQ to compensate at the NHL level.

We'll see though - definitely a step back this past season. Big year for him coming up. I don't see him becoming anything more than a Cody Franson like player as a best case scenario though. I would be fine with trying to use him as a trade chip.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If Nielsen had any sort of defensive hockey IQ, nobody would be complaining about his skating ability. It still needs work, but his IQ is going to keep him from the NHL regardless of whether it improves or not. That is unless it becomes like Gardiner's level of skating, in which case he can become a highly unreliable offensive defenseman in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad