Prospect Info: Andrew Nielsen 3rd in points amongst WHL D

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I like him, don't get me wrong, I just think he has some big question marks at the next level. He's got a powerful shot, it just takes a while to get off and it's not accurate. I saw a lot of Franson coming up through the Giants and he always had that ability to get it through. Nielsen unfortunately doesn't have that. He's also not the most agile skater, he has good strides but he's not quick off the gate. This is something faster players in the pros will exploit. He's big in the WHL but as he moves on a bunch of stronger faster players are going to be his competition. I hope he doesn't spend too much time bulking up which leads to slower skating. I have seen him a handful of times this year, just not live.

His numbers are nice, but lets keep in mind he's a 19 year old. He should be playing good. Personally I think he'll have a slower transition than Valiev.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I like him, don't get me wrong, I just think he has some big question marks at the next level. He's got a powerful shot, it just takes a while to get off and it's not accurate. I saw a lot of Franson coming up through the Giants and he always had that ability to get it through. Nielsen unfortunately doesn't have that. He's also not the most agile skater, he has good strides but he's not quick off the gate. This is something faster players in the pros will exploit. He's big in the WHL but as he moves on a bunch of stronger faster players are going to be his competition. I hope he doesn't spend too much time bulking up which leads to slower skating. I have seen him a handful of times this year, just not live.

His numbers are nice, but lets keep in mind he's a 19 year old. He should be playing good. Personally I think he'll have a slower transition than Valiev.

I agree, he is a project. He will find the AHL a real adjustment next season. He is a big body D man and that will help him with his reach, but his feet need a lot of work which is usually the kiss of dead for D man.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012

I agree...Valiev and Dermott are my two favourite D prospects in our system. Valiev had a wonderful transition to the pros. I expect a similar one for Dermott. Nielsen on the other hand might have a bit of a slow transition.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
If he works with Barbara and improves his transition game, I think we have a Weber-esque guy on our hands. We're due for a steal at some point.

I don't think Barbara is a miracle worker. There's a lot more tools that go into a guy like Weber than fleet footed. Her biggest success story is probably Brian Boyle, who has a lot of things you'd want in a #1 C. Doesn't mean he is one.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is a 19 year old being compared to 18 year olds...

He was a gamble of a pick and lets hope he can make it to the NHL at some point.

Just for a comparison Matt Finn had 61 points as a 19 year old in 66 games.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

He was a gamble of a pick and lets hope he can make it to the NHL at some point.

and Shea Weber had 41 pts (in 55 GP) as a 19 year old [Pace of 55]. :sarcasm:

But I agree. Stats are just a start.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

If we can get a poor mans Cody Franson with a 3rd round pick, its not too sexy but i'll take it.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
If we can get a poor mans Cody Franson with a 3rd round pick, its not too sexy but i'll take it.

Cody Franson is a poor man's Cody Franson. He proved his offense in juniors and the minors, but the NHL really brought out his flaws. Which is well, skating, and defensive awareness.

Nielsen is currently ahead of Franson's +1 draft year. If he ends up in Franson territory, that's more of a letdown than a reassurance in my books. I think he'll be better than "1st gear Franson".

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
Cody Franson is a poor man's Cody Franson. He proved his offense in juniors and the minors, but the NHL really brought out his flaws. Which is well, skating, and defensive awareness.

Nielsen is currently ahead of Franson's +1 draft year. If he ends up in Franson territory, that's more of a letdown than a reassurance in my books. I think he'll be better than "1st gear Franson".

Nielsen has been playing well but if we can turn a third round pick into as good of a player as cody franson is (was?) it is still a huge success.

Getting an NHL player in the later rounds even if he's only okay is still great.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His career will depend on how his skating develops. Since he is a newcomer to hockey I see no reason barb won't make a dramatic impact if he is willing to work.
Then we have our own Parayko.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
nhl Ds are all about skating...hunwick is small and has limited offense but he can skate very well and has gotten top D pairing minutes this year

marincin doesnt have 1/4 of the offense that nielsen has but hes a big body that can move well, so hes been given minutes over other prospects

league is full of quick skilled players now, u gotta keep up

sda

Feb 18, 2008

There are a lot of 19 year olds that wish they could have the season that Nielson is having. being 19 guarantees nothing.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

I wouldn't say he's ahead of Franson. Different teams and situations.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com

That would be AMAZING.

Think about what you're saying.

Cody Franson was traded at the TD for a 1st round pick. Franson -> Late 1st round pick.
Nielsen was drafted with a 3rd roud pick. 3rd round pick -> Nielsen.
If Nielsen becomes Franson.... Nielsen -> Franson

Put it together

3rd -> Nielsen -> Franson -> 1st

If we can turn EVERY SINGLE 3rd round pick we draft into a Franson, heck if we can turn 1/2 of our 3rd picks into a Franson and every single other one still busts that's stills an amazing deal for us.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He is having his draft +1 like anyone else and doing well. Following his progression he always seemed a year behind, and looks like it will happen again when he is going to the AHL in his draft +2, he is past the deadline to be able to go down, and be a dominate player for the jrs. Kinda unfortunate, I really was hoping he would be that player, overcooked in Jrs. Here is hoping we develop him right, when he turns pro.

I kinda expect a low production AHL/ECHL year. Similar to when he made the WHL jump and right into his draft year. Looks like a tough kid, think he will eventually find his groove and a good D partner. We just need to remain patient with these picks.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
That would be AMAZING.

Think about what you're saying.

Cody Franson was traded at the TD for a 1st round pick. Franson -> Late 1st round pick.
Nielsen was drafted with a 3rd roud pick. 3rd round pick -> Nielsen.
If Nielsen becomes Franson.... Nielsen -> Franson

Put it together

3rd -> Nielsen -> Franson -> 1st

If we can turn EVERY SINGLE 3rd round pick we draft into a Franson, heck if we can turn 1/2 of our 3rd picks into a Franson and every single other one still busts that's stills an amazing deal for us.

I know right, the 2024 draft is going to be one of the deepest in NHL history lmao.

But seriously If management is still collecting picks 3 years from now, they have failed.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Barbara Underhill herself wasn't all that great a skater, that is why she went into pairs, she didn
't have the talent to be an individual skater.

Great skaters are mostly born, all starts with having being blessed with great anatomical feet, calves, hips. If there is a part of the anatomy that is mediocre, or substandard, well, its far beyond Barb to create a beautiful skater.

She herself sort of lurched around the rink, wasn't all that graceful, nor was her partner, Paul, all that graceful himself. They both worked harder and longer than anyone else, but they were never much to watch quite frankly. They just skated out of their minds in one competition and to their credit, that competition was the worlds .

I had the opportunity to watch all the great skaters in that time era on a daily basis on my lunch hour, I never watched them, unless they were the only ones on the ice.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Barbara Underhill herself wasn't all that great a skater, that is why she went into pairs, she didn
't have the talent to be an individual skater.

Great skaters are mostly born, all starts with having being blessed with great anatomical feet, calves, hips. If there is a part of the anatomy that is mediocre, or substandard, well, its far beyond Barb to create a beautiful skater.

She herself sort of lurched around the rink, wasn't all that graceful, nor was her partner, Paul, all that graceful himself. They both worked harder and longer than anyone else, but they were never much to watch quite frankly. They just skated out of their minds in one competition and to their credit, that competition was the worlds .

I had the opportunity to watch all the great skaters in that time era on a daily basis on my lunch hour, I never watched them, unless they were the only ones on the ice.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
Yes there are physical attributes to skating but there are a plethora of technical aspects that are needed too; how far to shift weight, blade aligment, body alignment etc.
Barbs performing career has nothing to do with her teaching resume, and her teaching has helped many nhlers and hopefuls, freddie the goat being one of the most recent.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
There is no question you can improve someone yes. But to take a poor skater and turn them into a very good one, pretty darn tough. I still see slow feet on Freddy. Good stride sure, but getting off the mark has been his problem. And it still is, I don't see him making the NHL unless its just on a trial basis.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter a fan of the goat? Link? Not saying I don't believe you, but never seen anything myself to confirm this.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Provorov is tied with him in points with a extra game to play. We will know by Saturday night if Nielsen wins the defenseman scoring title in the Whl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad