Prospect Info: Andrew Nielsen 3rd in points amongst WHL D

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I can't see the video as I am at work but what is his movement like? lateral/agility? first few steps?

:laugh: well if that is his highlight video... We in trouble. All it is, is him standing there and shooting and his wrist shots seem totally house league.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I decided it was time to share some of the beautiful goals he's had this season..., although I would say that his point shot speaks for itself..

#1 WHL D-man in points this season... and has been good both defensively and offensively... He's going to easily double his points, from last season.. and his +/- is just great..!

Andrew Nielsen
Defense -- shoots L
Born Nov 13 1996 -- Red Deer, ALTA
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.03 -- Weight 207

RECENT STATS: (*Up to Jan. 21st 2016)
2014-15 Lethbridge Hurricanes - WHL
59 Games... 7 Goals... 17 Assists...34 Points... -9
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Lethbridge Hurricanes - WHL
46 Games... 12 Goals... 38 Assists...50 Points... +30 "PPG+

D-Line Rock: Andrew Nielsen 2015-16 Highlights - TML

He's got kind of an awkward looking style but that shot is a bomb

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He is centering Tkachuk and Piccinich

Looks more comfortable tonight?

BTW - Need YOUR input since you got that streaming package, have you been able to see Nielsen at all? Seems like any kind of in depth info on him is really hard to come by.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looks more comfortable tonight?

BTW - Need YOUR input since you got that streaming package, have you been able to see Nielsen at all? Seems like any kind of in depth info on him is really hard to come by.

Watched his game last night but he didn't really do anything in a 4-0 Lethbridge win, didn't have any points on the night.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Watched his game last night but he didn't really do anything in a 4-0 Lethbridge win, didn't have any points on the night.

How is his speed? gap control? agility? turning? puck handling? hockey IQ in general?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Nicely done.

Looks like another promising pick by Hunter.

He's got kind of an awkward looking style but that shot is a bomb

I don't get overly excited about a prospect, until I see him consistent for at least three years... I've only watched Andrew, since last March... He's dropped over 25 lbs... and gotten a lot leaner and muscular, so I'm sure that he will adjust even more, by next season.. I think he's doing a heck of a job, with all the present changes in his game..

Now.., Andreas Johnson..... I am excited about..! :yo:

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Andrew Nielsen hits 70 points.

Here is a list of defenceman from the WHL that were over 6'0 and 200 lbs that scored 70 or more points in their post draft year since the year 2000.

1. Andrew Nielsen

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Here is a list of defenceman from the WHL that were over 6'0 and 200 lbs that scored 70 or more points in their post draft year since the year 2000.

1. Andrew Nielsen

that is a very distinguished list!:nod:

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
How is his speed? gap control? agility? turning? puck handling? hockey IQ in general?

Every time I've seen him he's been one of the best players on the ice. I think his speed is pretty good for his size. Same for his agility. His hockey IQ is good. Makes smart passes, is calm with the puck in all zones, and doesn't make many mistakes.
I'm not a very good talent analyst though and I'm probably biased towards him lol. That is what I've seen though

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If he gets to the Leafs his shot from the point will be a welcome addition. With Franson and now Phaneuf gone - we are way faster and smarter on defence but lack the big shot on the PP.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

1. Andrew Nielsen

Just out of curiosity what's the list based on age?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Based on Draft + 1 years. Of course development is more than stats, but he's killing it.

Tyson Barrie:72 pts (in 63 GP) [Pace of 82 pts]

Karl Alzner: 47 pts (in 63 GP)[Pace of 53 pts]

Scott Niedermeyer: 39 pts (in 35 GP) [Pace of 80 pts]

Wade Redden: 54 pts (in 51 GP) [Pace of 76 pts]

Kris Russell: 47 pts (in 55 GP) [Pace of 61 pts]

Shea Weber: 32 pts (in 60 GP) [Pace of 38 pts]

Andrew Nielsen: 70 pts (in 69 GP) [Pace of 73 pts]

He's in some illustrious company with his numbers. :amazed:

Also important to note, Barrie put up better numbers than Niedermeyer and Weber (in draft + 1 year). So, once again numbers are not everything.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Based on Draft + 1 years. Of course development is more than stats, but he's killing it.

Also important to note, Barrie put up better numbers than Niedermeyer and Weber (in draft + 1 year). So, once again numbers are not everything.

It is a very distinguished list!!!

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

1. Andrew Nielsen

Ivan Provorov at 6'0, 200 lbs exactly, according to the WHL site, but only 69 points. Philly drafted the wrong guy.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Ivan Provorov at 6'0, 200 lbs exactly, according to the WHL site, but only 69 points. Philly drafted the wrong guy.

Provorov is a stud.

These guys are putting up incredible numbers. Right up there with the greatest defencemen to ever play in the WHL.

The best part about Provorov was he hit 60+ pts in his draft year too. What a talent.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Aight but Nielsen's a year older than all of those guys for his draft+1.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Neilsen is destined for the Marlies next year. He'll need time to develop in the pro game. Points in junior hockey don't mean much. Lots of top point leaders in junior or even the AHL don't make it to the NHL.
Leafs will have three graduating juniors next year with the Marlies,,,Nielson, Dermot, Desrouches..
In September I attended a pre season Leaf/Canadian. Gotta say I quite impressed with Neilson. He played the RD with Marlie Campbell.
Just from a prospect view the Leafs do have some potential young Dmen NHLers. The three juniors, Lindgren, and Loov, Carrick, Corrado, maybe Zaitsev if he signs, and the veteran 21 year old Rielly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The hurricanes have a set with the wheatkings for their last two games of the season. Provorov is 1 point behind with three games left.

They are on the two highest scoring teams in the whl and both are their teams go to guys. Provorov has played 10 games less and is over a point per game also.

I want Nielsen to take the scoring title for defensemen. He needs two good games though because Provorov has been hot.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Hardly anyone knew this guy when drafted...except Hunter and the Western Scout ;). I think Malarchuck right?
This is outstanding research and drafting. Another gem.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
His teammate Brayden Burke, looks like an amazing draft steal, although this is just looking at his point totals.

Expected to be a late round draftee.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
dam he's big lol.. How is his skating and does he play phyiscal ? don't want another Franson on this team..

His skating is not bad, but far from perfect. He skates well enough to be in position and has the lateral mobility that most good dmen have, he has a long stride from what I've seen but lacks the explosiveness that separates the good skaters from the great ones. His physical play however is very good. He engages along the boards, isn't afraid to throw out hits and wins more than his fair share of puck battles. I think a bit of time with Barb Underhill would work wonders on his transition game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad