Prospect Info: Andrew Nielsen 3rd in points amongst WHL D

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
A 3rd rounder without an NHL game? Promising yes but I'll reserve my "steal" judgement till he gets closer to the show.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
1.1ppg in the WHL as a defenceman your draft+1 year is pretty good. Ian White, Derek Morris, Brad Ference, Brad Stuart, Tyson Barrie, and Shea Theodore are comparables. This season's performance puts him on track to making it to the NHL.

Great scouting.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Even going by points per game, he's still second after Sanheim in his draft year + 2.

Notably, he's doing better than Ivan Provorov, drafted 7th OA. More points, points per game, and a higher percentage points on the goals his team scores.

Hooray for boxscore scouting!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hey, if Andrew Nielsen wants to outproduce and eventually outdevelop guys like Provorov, Fleury and Sanheim, be my guest!

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
So far, looking like a steal of a pick.
Our scouting staff is doing a phenomenal job.

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
it's impressive the season this kid has had, especially in light of his production last year. great pick.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like he's got a lot of great tools. Can anyone speak as to his skating ability?

He's actually quite mobile. Has no problems skating whatsoever. My most immediate NHL comparison is Shea Weber. He's got a huge shot, he's pretty big himself (and will likely grow given his age) uses the body well and he's good positionally. That isn't to say he will be Shea Weber, but he has the tools to reach that ceiling.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Defensemen always seem to be fickle creatures pre draft. There are great steals in later rounds - let's hope he is one of them.

I'm Hunter we trust.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I sure hope he is one of those Dmen. We are really in need of one of those. Hate the pity party, but we deserve some pick luck and not overreaction prospects.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I try not to wear my leafs goggles when it comes to prospects, but I got high hopes for Neilsen. Bit of a late bloomer in junior, he looks like a steal. A big dman who has mobility and can put up a better then 1 PPG in the W, he's a legit prospect. Now we just gotta let Keefe and Babs get a hold of him.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I cannot wait till they get a hold of Bracco. Whom, I don't even think gets past the Solar Bears but time will tell.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For god's sake....

The other day we had the Timashov was a steal thread. Now this?

Here's a novel concept - why don't we wait until these kids play consistently at the NHL level before we proclaim them as steals?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Hey dude, when was the last time you saw Leaf fans excited about a prospect? Thanks to picking skill we have about 6 that we are thrilled about. Sure takes the pressure off the one TYler Biggs don't you think?

Nice thing about Nielsen is that he has some thug in him as well. How did this guy get picked below Bracco is my question. And Timashov, how did he get picked below Bracco?

champs*

I cannot wait till they get a hold of Bracco. Whom, I don't even think gets past the Solar Bears but time will tell.

Bracco and I am sure he has been told, needs to play the game at a higher speed/intensity level. He is a pretty gifted player and deadly from the top of the circles to the net area.I have been following him on the streams.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
For god's sake....

The other day we had the Timashov was a steal thread. Now this?

Here's a novel concept - why don't we wait until these kids play consistently at the NHL level before we proclaim them as steals?

:handclap: Yes please.

Just like Matt Finn was a steal.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Hey dude, when was the last time you saw Leaf fans excited about a prospect? Thanks to picking skill we have about 6 that we are thrilled about. Sure takes the pressure off the one TYler Biggs don't you think?

Nice thing about Nielsen is that he has some thug in him as well. How did this guy get picked below Bracco is my question. And Timashov, how did he get picked below Bracco?

Being excited about your prospect fool is fine.

I'm excited about a lot of what is happening with this team.

But proclaiming them steals?

Stupid.

Sxvnert nailed it - Matt Finn as the example.

Let's also not forget the number of people that penciled Luke Schenn in as future captain. And he was someone who went very high in the draft, AND had a good season or two under his belt before the wagon fell off the tracks.

We don't know anything about how these kids are going to turn out at the NHL level.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Heh, I was the first Leaf fan to pronounce Schenn as a dud, I am still villified because of it. LIke I had a hand in producing his ability to look like a three legged donkey when he skates.

This batch of kids? Picked? All high end talent. Sure some or most, won't make the big show, but they will entertain and tantilize.

Schenn had people ooohing ahhing for a simple outlet pass. And he got rushed on top of it. I don't know if things would have been different if he had gone back to junior and received skating lessons, probably would have helped, but none of these prospects are lacking in a major way.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Just amazes me that when we finally get a slew of talented guys, they are picked over for faults like a sirloin. Meanwhile talentless thugs get ooohed and aaahed over for years. Schenn being at the top of that list.

Is a forty plus year drought of a cup the reason for this? Or does it go deeper?

Marner and his talent are beyond anything we have seen, and the guy is picked over like a last meal for ten dying men... Amazes me.

We loved Bob Baun and hated dave keon. Weird fan base let me tell ya.

Could Seguin have reached his present heights here? In Toronto? Probably best Babcock keeps making magic with throwaways for people to beleaf again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad