Andrew MacDonald upgrade or not?

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Hextall: "Mac's a good player, we can't forget that, and I'm convinced he's gonna be back in the NHL being a productive player at some point".

http://flyers.nhl.com/

He makes it sound like he'll be back, maybe (and this my own speculation) after LSchenn is traded.

well what is he going to say about a guy he's probably hoping someone picks up? "Mac sucks and he doesn't belong in the NHL, so we're waiving him to make room for guys who do"?

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Let us pray to the hockey gods that some how, some way, someone picks him up.

Just kidding, I do hope he gets motivated to turn his game around being sent down.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Would Buffalo want him you think?

I doubt any team would claim him outright. What I could see happening, and this is not something I think WILL happen, just something that COULD happen, is a team takes AMac (with some salary retained by Philly) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder in exchange for "future considerations" or something like that. I still think AMac is better than the bottom three on this team, but his contract is just looking so bad right now that he is not going anywhere unless the Flyers pay someone to take him.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I doubt any team would claim him outright. What I could see happening, and this is not something I think WILL happen, just something that COULD happen, is a team takes AMac (with some salary retained by Philly) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder in exchange for "future considerations" or something like that. I still think AMac is better than the bottom three on this team, but his contract is just looking so bad right now that he is not going anywhere unless the Flyers pay someone to take him.

If he was "better" he would have made the team. This was not a cap move, this was an attempt to get rid of him and save a bit of cap space without having to lose the guys they felt have more value. Not a good sign for Amac and not a good sign for us. He went from a top 4 to a #7 in one season.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
well what is he going to say about a guy he's probably hoping someone picks up? "Mac sucks and he doesn't belong in the NHL, so we're waiving him to make room for guys who do"?

Anytime Hexy is unhappy with somebody his moniker has been....he has been "OK"...I guess AMac is actually getting an endorsement :sarcasm:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he was "better" he would have made the team. This was not a cap move, this was an attempt to get rid of him and save a bit of cap space without having to lose the guys they felt have more value. Not a good sign for Amac and not a good sign for us. He went from a top 4 to a #7 in one season.

Perhaps. I'm by no means an expert and I don't really have a problem with the move, I just have never been impressed with Manning or Gudas, and I think MacDaonald always gets a bad rap around here. He's not a great defender and he isn't worth the contract (or even the assets we traded for him), but if I'm coaching, I'd take him over Gudas, Schenn, and Manning. Perhaps why I am not a coach, but hey.

starbuck97

Mar 21, 2005
I'm a little behind, why isn't his full salary coming off the cap? Is this something new from the latest CBA? I don't trust our beat writers will get the explanation right...

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'm a little behind, why isn't his full salary coming off the cap? Is this something new from the latest CBA? I don't trust our beat writers will get the explanation right...

Latest CBA. You can't bury players with very bad contracts anymore. You only get up to 950k relief for the player's cap hit. The rest applies to your NHL team cap.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I think he will be back before the month is over.

I doubt it. L.Schenn plays Davis Drewiske could be called up as the 7th without having to put someone on LTIR if there is an injury.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm at the irrational point where I want Luke traded just so every Joe Toronto who says he has negative value and is unmoveable can look like a fool.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm at the irrational point where I want Luke traded just so every Joe Toronto who says he has negative value and is unmoveable can look like a fool.

There are like a hundred FanHabtic posts I'll have to quote if that happens. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad