Andrew Ladd

Jetty

Russ from St.B
Jun 21, 2011
St.B
Noel is handicapped by the fact Ladd was grandfathered in as the captain.

Unless you are an elite player the Andrew Ladd "aww shucks" persona doesn't work. Ladd is a good role player, I take nothing away from his game but being the leader of a NHL hockey team is a totally different thing that only few guys can do well.

We don't have many other options unfortunately. If Andrew Ladd was traded tomorrow I'd say the C goes to Olli or Stuart until the next in line is ready.

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
Ladd and 2 second round picks for Kunitz?

You do realize that most of Kunitz's success is because of playing with the best player of his generation, right?

You'd be trading a former 1st round pick and two 2nd rounders for an undrafted player.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
you do realize that most of kunitz's success is because of playing with the best player of his generation, right?

You'd be trading a former 1st round pick and two 2nd rounders for an undrafted player.

season team gp g a p +/- pim ppg shg gwg s s%
2006-2007 ducks 81 25 35 60 23 81 11 0 5 180 13.9
2007-2008 ducks 82 21 29 50 8 80 7 1 6 196 10.7

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
season team gp g a p +/- pim ppg shg gwg s s%
2006-2007 ducks 81 25 35 60 23 81 11 0 5 180 13.9
2007-2008 ducks 82 21 29 50 8 80 7 1 6 196 10.7

Your point being? I said most, not all. Ladd is also is a player that will get you 50-60 points a year. So you want to trade players of mostly equal value but include two 2nd round picks?

Am I missing something here?

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Kane ready to be captain...uh huh. He pisses and moans constantly at the refs like he's never done anything wrong - no accountability there. He's intense, I'll give him that.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Chevy would have to have some amazing foresight and/or a great return coming back in order to trade our Captain and top LW at this point. Don't think you can rightly assume Ladd's point totals are going to drop too sharply in the near future, and just because he's frustrated now doesn't mean he's giving up.

Maybe he won't be the best choice for captain in the future, but he'll remain a good role model and leader for our young guys, as well as putting up 40-60 points.

And Kane will likely never be a captain for any team unless he really changes his attitude around or becomes a bonafide superstar.

Last edited:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy would have to have some amazing foresight and/or a great return coming back in order to trade our Captain and top LW at this point. Don't think you can rightly assume Ladd's point totals are going to drop too sharply in the near future, and just because he's frustrated now doesn't mean he's giving up.

Maybe he won't be the best choice for captain team in the future, but he'll remain a good role model and leader for our young guys, as well as putting up 40-60 points.

And Kane will likely never be a captain for any team unless he really changes his attitude around or becomes a bonafide superstar.

I've seen TONS of growth in Kane.
I may have agreed with you two years ago, but now I would have no issue with Kane being our next captain.
Though Trouba or Scheifele are more likely choices.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I may have agreed with you two years ago, but now I would have no issue with Kane being our next captain.

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong, and I could see him being an assistant, but I just don't feel he is captain material (though I agree he's matured since Year 1).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I could see Kane being a Captain - lots of people thrive with added responsibility, and you certainly won't find too many players that have more drive than him to win. He's also pretty well spoken, if you listen to his press scrims.

Yes, he's still rough around the edges, but I'd take a flyer on him for C.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Tons of growth with Kane, yes, but only up to the point to where he is now starting to resemble the adults around him in a professional world. Still a long way from captain material.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I could see Kane being a Captain - lots of people thrive with added responsibility, and you certainly won't find too many players that have more drive than him to win. He's also pretty well spoken, if you listen to his press scrims.

Yes, he's still rough around the edges, but I'd take a flyer on him for C.

Nope. As much as I LIKE Kane as a player he is nowhere close to captain material yet. Leads by example sure. But this constant chirping to the refs - no way. Rumors that he doesn't get along well with teammates also seem to have some validity. And he has a bit of a selfish attitude - although that pass to Peluso for the open net shows he is improving majorly.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Nope. As much as I LIKE Kane as a player he is nowhere close to captain material yet. Leads by example sure. But this constant chirping to the refs - no way. Rumors that he doesn't get along well with teammates also seem to have some validity. And he has a bit of a selfish attitude - although that pass to Peluso for the open net shows he is improving majorly.

I haven't heard any rumours about not getting along with team mates in years.

I think YWGinYYZ would agree that we aren't advocating for the C to be taken from Ladd and given to Kane. We're looking into the future. So comments about him not being ready YET are totally fair.
I'm saying that I believe that Kane would be a reasonable choice as captain when the time comes, assuming he continues to grow as an individual and player.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I haven't heard any rumours about not getting along with team mates in years.

I think YWGinYYZ would agree that we aren't advocating for the C to be taken from Ladd and given to Kane. We're looking into the future. So comments about him not being ready YET are totally fair.
I'm saying that I believe that Kane would be a reasonable choice as captain when the time comes, assuming he continues to grow as an individual and player.

Yup: I still like Ladd as a Captain for the time being, but in future, I think one of Kane, Scheif or Trouba has Captain written all over them, once they've matured a bit.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
If we make the playoffs this year does that improve the chances of Ladd signing an extension in Winnipeg?

Anyone else notice that of the 11 goals he has scored so far this year, maybe 8 or more of them are from within a few feet from the crease.

Citizen KANE

Dec 1, 2014
Atlanta
If we make the playoffs this year does that improve the chances of Ladd signing an extension in Winnipeg?

Anyone else notice that of the 11 goals he has scored so far this year, maybe 8 or more of them are from within a few feet from the crease.

You would hope so. Ladd, Wheeler, Kane are impressive power forwards who aren't afraid to go to the dirty areas.........just the kind of guys Maurice seems to excel with. Hopefully they will all stick around through their primes.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
I suspect Ladd has huge respect in the room. Also in the organization. When he barked back @ Neol in practice it was the beginning of the end for the coach. For me that was the most significant moment since the Jets came back. So many fans and media types turned on the players rather than where the blame really belonged. Great on the Captain. As for Kane I love his dedication and work ethic but he is a million miles from reaching his potential offensively. He has been mishandled till now and I hope something is done to change this as I think he has it in him to be a great 4th overall pick. There is a big drop off to him when you look at what the 3 ahead of him have become.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
You would hope so. Ladd, Wheeler, Kane are impressive power forwards who aren't afraid to go to the dirty areas.........just the kind of guys Maurice seems to excel with. Hopefully they will all stick around through their primes.

I met Ladd in person a few years ago at Powerland computers and I was surprised he was as slim as he is based on the hard rough tough game he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad