Andrew Ladd

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
The Captain is not himself.

Is the weight of the team's performance weighing heavily on him?

Is he hurt?

Is the growing family sapping his energy?

Is "the room" supporting him?

Is there a division between himself and coaching?

I am not calling him out, but I haven't seen the usual "beast-sized heart" from him for about the last 15 games. Neither am I blaming him for team performance.

Honestly, I'm just wondering if he's ok. You couldn't help but see how dispirited he was on the tv interview the other night.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
The Captain is not himself.

Is the weight of the team's performance weighing heavily on him? Yes, it weighs on everyone who cares about the team and their performance, Ladd enjoys being here, he enjoys playing here it pisses him off like it pisses us off when they lose.

Is he hurt? Doesn't appear to be.

Is the growing family sapping his energy? Could be a small factor, though these guys are conditioned to play with minimal energy.

Is "the room" supporting him? I'm sure they are, he is a good guy and a good leader.

Is there a division between himself and coaching? Likely, yes. Though there appears to be a distance between the coach and all the players lately.

I am not calling him out, but I haven't seen the usual "beast-sized heart" from him for about the last 15 games. Neither am I blaming him for team performance.

Honestly, I'm just wondering if he's ok. You couldn't help but see how dispirited he was on the tv interview the other night.

Being an ex competitive player (albeit not pro) he is deflated and angry with himself for not producing like he usually does. Every player hits a cold streak, the good ones go on hot streaks. Once he finds his game again and gets the bounces going his way he'll be fine.

FWIW I'm not a psychiatrist, I could be way off.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Perhaps he came to the harsh realization that his best years are being wasted on a team that isn't going to crack the playoffs and is STILL a mile away from contention.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Perhaps he came to the harsh realization that his best years are being wasted on a team that isn't going to crack the playoffs and is STILL a mile away from contention.

This.

I dont think he wants to be here and I dont think he believes in Claude. His intensity dropped off right around the same time he had his "words" with Claude. For Chevy this is the danger of doing nothing. Its easy to say we might as well wait 'till the off season.....or give Claude some new horses etc. But the longer this goes on the greater risk of completely losing the handle on this team....and the fans.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This.

I dont think he wants to be here and I dont think he believes in Claude. His intensity dropped off right around the same time he had his "words" with Claude. For Chevy this is the danger of doing nothing. Its easy to say we might as well wait 'till the off season.....or give Claude some new horses etc. But the longer this goes on the greater risk of completely losing the handle on this team....and the fans.

Why do people keep saying that Chevy did nothing. He brought in 7 players last year, that's 30% of the roster that a different.

4 of those 7 play top 9 or top 4. You may disagree with the moves he made or players he brought in, but that hardly constitutes nothing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
boxscores only and we know last season was a career year and I think it screwed up the fans.

2010-11 Atlanta thrash 81 29 30 59 PPGA .71
2011-12 Winnipeg Jets 82 28 22 50 PPGA .60
2012-13 Winnipeg Jets 48 18 28 46 PPGA .95
2013-14 Winnipeg Jets 46 10 19 29 PPGA .63

So other than his crazy half season in 12-13 where he was a PPG player for 48 games Andrew is back to a normal pace.

Garret could run some fancy stats to talk about his real production but on balance I think Andrew is about a 50 to 60 point all situations tough match ups player which he is on pace for again this year.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Andrews numbers as I understand them other than his point production are not that out of whack with last year. Perhaps other teams are just paying more attention to him and the LLW line this year based on their production last year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
boxscores only and we know last season was a career year and I think it screwed up the fans.

2010-11 Atlanta thrash 81 29 30 59 PPGA .71
2011-12 Winnipeg Jets 82 28 22 50 PPGA .60
2012-13 Winnipeg Jets 48 18 28 46 PPGA .95
2013-14 Winnipeg Jets 46 10 19 29 PPGA .63

So other than his crazy half season in 12-13 where he was a PPG player for 48 games Andrew is back to a normal pace.

Garret could run some fancy stats to talk about his real production but on balance I think Andrew is about a 50 to 60 point all situations tough match ups player which he is on pace for again this year.

I don't think it's just the numbers though - he hasn't seemed himself. His first half of the season was better than recently. When was that reported conflict with Noel over the intensity of practice?

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
This.

I don't get the bolded part from him at all. I think he very badly wants to be here and win. I think he's very frustrated with the not winning part. And I think he knows what he needs his coach to do and he's not getting it.

It's also ridiculous to accuse Chevy of "doing nothing".

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Quick scan:

On-ice sh% dropped back to normal, so getting less points.
Less TOI with the super Tobi-Buff pair.
Advance stats slightly worse, but still one of the best 3 Jets when looking at results relative to league average at same usage.
On the downwards slope of most career trajectories.

Meh... kind of what I expected

For those that want to see, here are Ladd's numbers each season:
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+17+18+19+20

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
When the jets returned to Winnipeg the ownership group bringing him to Winnipeg and showing him around was enormous in setting the team in the right direction.

Whatever they did then, they need to do again, I hope they create an environment where he can be absolutely honest about all the problems. Wether its Noel, Buff, Pavelec, James Wright whatever...

This goes outside of goals and assists, when a guy as respected as Ladd look like he's going to lose his mind, you absolutely have to find out, right away, what the problems are. This is when saying 'It's a process' is just an excuse for inaction.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I don't get the bolded part from him at all. I think he very badly wants to be here and win. I think he's very frustrated with the not winning part. And I think he knows what he needs his coach to do and he's not getting it.

It's also ridiculous to accuse Chevy of "doing nothing".

You're right, he has not "done nothing", but my position all along has been that you cannot win with Buff playing D and you cannot win with Claude steering the ship. So in my opinion he has not addressed these critical factors.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He lifted Stanley in 2006 & 2010. He's just realized it ain't gonna happen every 4 years.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The team is as inconsistent as their leaders, Ladd, Buff, etc. I think Ladd is a good guy and is a decent player, but this team is going nowhere with him as cappy. Trade him while value is high and build around Kane, Scheif and Trouba. Keep Little, Wheeler, Bogo and get rid of Ladd and Buff for some good assets going forward and continue the rebuild and find new leaders to lead this team. I know it's crazy but Ive been saying this for over a year that our leadership doesn't cut it, and getting ripped over it.
But I know Noel will go first, and this team will be given a shot with a new leader at the top. I like our new blood that's come in, make a drastic change and get rid of some of the vets while value is high. I know trading captains doesn't show that TNSE is loyal as some would say, but what it also shows is that no one is safe here, and anyone can go at anytime, that's what Wheeler said they do in Boston and it seems to work for them.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Why do people keep saying that Chevy did nothing. He brought in 7 players last year, that's 30% of the roster that a different.

4 of those 7 play top 9 or top 4. You may disagree with the moves he made or players he brought in, but that hardly constitutes nothing.

He brought in a handful of players on a hard downswing

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I hope I wasn't leaving the impression that he isn't an apt captain. That wasn't my intent.

Evander Kane is almost ready to be a captain. I could also see 55 or 8 being ready in 2 years or so. Jokinen and Stuart could captain this team, but that won't be happening as neither will be here for the long term.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As long as Andrew is into it I say we keep rolling with him for a while and make his job a bit easier by removing some of the distractions, improving the talent, and upgrading the coaching in the offseason.

I look at Ottawa and I think they are really missing Alfy's leadership. I am all for a young team and building around our younger core but I like veteran leaders in the mix.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think that he is just feeling the pressure of being a captain on an inconsistent team.

Not exactly sure what Ladd or the team's trust level is between them & Noel on his game plans or system.

The fans are at a boiling point & want results not excuses.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Quick scan:

On-ice sh% dropped back to normal, so getting less points.
Less TOI with the super Tobi-Buff pair.
Advance stats slightly worse, but still one of the best 3 Jets when looking at results relative to league average at same usage.
On the downwards slope of most career trajectories.

Meh... kind of what I expected

For those that want to see, here are Ladd's numbers each season:
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+17+18+19+20

Kudos to Garret9.

I love the statistical insight you provide. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I don't think it's just the numbers though - he hasn't seemed himself. His first half of the season was better than recently. When was that reported conflict with Noel over the intensity of practice?

It happened in Philadelphia... so whenever that game was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad