Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ladd UFA- 7yrs/ 5.5 AAV

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I'm satisfied in total. would have preferred a 6 yr deal but the AAV would have been higher. Just have to hope 5 of those years are productive. Nice first step.

Bottom line, we need the kids to step up, Strome, Nelson, Lee etc have to play MUCH better than last year.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
5.5 isn't bad but 7 years is tough. Price of free agency.

I just feel we should have kept Okposo who's 2 years younger and only .5 more per.
Pretty much my thoughts. Would've preferred more per year on a shorter term, but 5.5 is a good cap hit. Guessing we won't like the deal much in the last couple years, but if we get 4-5 good seasons out of him, it'll be about as good as you can realistically hope from a UFA signing. As you say, such is simply the price of getting a player without having to give up any assets.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Staple tweeted Franz spurned us, we offered 7 year deal at larger total amount...seems like Franz wanted out.

Good luck Franz

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Happy with Ladd on that price, not sure about the years. Hopefully there isn't a NMC or anything.

DerekJR321

Mar 29, 2011
Manorville, NY (LI)
I gotta be honest. I don't see this as being a good start to the "new ownership".

I'm not even going to get into the Barklay's Center fiasco... but we just let Frans go... Okposo go.. and now most likely Martin is going to go. And I just heard a rumor that they are looking to Scott F'ing Hartnell to replace him? REALLY?

7 years is WAY too long for Andrew Ladd.

I'm really not looking forward to the 2016/2017 season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Term too long, but that is the tradeoff for him accepting just 5.5. Some people thought it would be 6 or even 7 per year. That gives up plenty of room for other signings/moves.

I never thought Ladd would get $7m per. I thought $6m was likely.

Salary is fine. Term is awful. IMO shows some desperation on Snow's part ,after not even getting to make a run at Stamkos and losing all of Nielsen/Martin/KO.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I gotta be honest. I don't see this as being a good start to the "new ownership".

I'm not even going to get into the Barklay's Center fiasco... but we just let Frans go... Okposo go.. and now most likely Martin is going to go. And I just heard a rumor that they are looking to Scott F'ing Hartnell to replace him? REALLY?

7 years is WAY too long for Andrew Ladd.

I'm really not looking forward to the 2016/2017 season.

6 years, 7 years, what's the difference. If his play starts falling off a lot, you buy him out. He's 30 not 32, so he's got a left in the tank.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I never thought Ladd would get $7m per. I thought $6m was likely.

Salary is fine. Term is awful. IMO shows some desperation on Snow's part ,after not even getting to make a run at Stamkos and losing all of Nielsen/Martin/KO.

Term is awful? Yes, that's right. Sadly, extremely long contracts are the reality of today. If you can't offer a long contract, the player will not sign with the organisation.

All big signings today are contacts with terrible terms.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Money is good but like others have said already, the term is a bit too long. It might hurt a bit in 5 years but that's the risk you run if you want to keep the cap hit down.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Well you're saying this in a thread about a premier player signing here lol
:laugh: No kidding. Ladd's one of the top UFA forwards on the market this year and the Isles land him at 12:10pm and people are whining. Wonder how many of the same people would be sitting here at 12:40pm going "STOP SITTING ON YOUR HANDS GARTH!" as everyone signed elsewhere. Can't win with this fanbase.

As many others have said, 7 years is a long time for a guy like Ladd but that's how all the UFA deals are these days. Gotta give to get, otherwise you're not signing anyone noteworthy - something we've spent most July 1sts complaining about on this board.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i like it. i like Ladd better than KO.

he was offered 6x6 by the Peg, so he took a deal that is a little longer and a little less per year, to try it with us.

was hoping to get either Frans or Backes as well. oh well. onto the next wave. or a trade.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
@DarrenDreger
Okposo, Ladd and Eriksson contracts all heavily front loaded. Signing bonus beyond 50% of total in each case.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
Makes sense. All win now moves.

It will make it easier to buy out or move Ladd towards the end of his deal.

A lot of us were poo-pooing the Sabres for frontloading Okposo's deal. I guess NYI isn't above frontloading either.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
KO and Nielsen left because they do not believe in Snow and Cappy are good enough to bring the Cup and also because of the Brooklyn day travel.

Hope JT does not feel the same way or he would be gone in 2 years too.

KO mentioned in his interview that he believes that he can win a cup with Buffalo. Maybe this is true or maybe just trying to get back to Snow.

Ladd is good but Isles is now terribly weak at RW so what are they going to do about it now especially JHS is still 1 or 2 years away. Guess Bailey will get top line spot again or they are still hoping that Strome will convert to RW successfully.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad