Recalled/Assigned: Andrew Gordon Called Up

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Wait hasn't Jensen been playing in pro league all year? Hasn't he been playing really well in that league? Not ready? What is he a freakin hard boiled egg?

On big ice. He's not a difference maker at the AHL level yet. He hasn't even outplayed Archibald as of right now.

arsmaster*

Wait hasn't Jensen been playing in pro league all year? Hasn't he been playing really well in that league? Not ready? What is he a freakin hard boiled egg?

Big ice vs little ice.

It's an adjustment.

Pseudonymous*

im pretty high on jensen but i think he could use a little more time down there as well. playing on a larger ice surface with more room to work with actually makes quite a bit of a difference. that and he can get used to vancouvers style while playing with Chicago, so that he even has a BETTER chance when he is up here. he could come up here and do better than Gordon now but why not give him an even better shot in a while

meanwhile seeing how a player who hasn't gotten a chance does.

giving players chances makes players want to come here

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
im pretty high on jensen but i think he could use a little more time down there as well. playing on a larger ice surface with more room to work with actually makes quite a bit of a difference. that and he can get used to vancouvers style while playing with Chicago, so that he even has a BETTER chance when he is up here. he could come up here and do better than Gordon now but why not give him an even better shot in a while

Not convinced he could do better than Gordon. Jensen needs time to adjust to the speed of the game. Right now he's having trouble with the amount of space and time he's afforded at the AHL level, I don't know how he could possibly do any better with less time and less space at the NHL level. This isn't uncommon. Brandon Saad took a while to get going in the AHL but then exploded (and he didn't have to jump in mid-season).

Gordon isn't as naturally talented but at least he's used to the rink size and pace of the game. Right now he makes better reads and he makes them faster. It's really not a knock on Jensen.

You want to call up a guy when they can handle it and it can be a valuable experience, even if they're not going to stick full time. Right now Jensen would just get discouraged by where he's at relative to the NHL level.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com

meanwhile seeing how a player who hasn't gotten a chance does.

giving players chances makes players want to come here

I think you have to look at his contract (Jensens) and the fact that if he plays MORE than 5 games at the NHL level that burns 1 year of his 3 year entry level contract.

I would love to see him up as well but organizationally it doesn't make sense unless we're desperate for wingers. More time in the AHL won't hurt him.

My guess is he's up for the playoffs...

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
The recall of Gordon just shows how depleted our prospect list is. He is a career minor leaguer. I have liked what I have seen of Jensen so far in Chicago. Yes, he is still adjusting but that kid has hands - 2 goals in 5 games pretty good right now for a parent team that is having trouble scoring. When Dale Weise has to score for you you know you are in trouble :) Jensen's D game needs to improve. No doubt. I don't think Sweatt is still hurt?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If he's the best center (other than Ebbett :)) we have on the Wolves....well then, something is wrong.

That's the bigger issue. How we went into the season with this kind of center depth knowing that Kesler was going to miss significant time is the big issue. It also speaks to our prospect depth at center.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
That's the bigger issue. How we went into the season with this kind of center depth knowing that Kesler was going to miss significant time is the big issue. It also speaks to our prosepct depth at center.

I'm not sure they "knew" he was going to miss significant time. It was more of Kesler taking an extra 3-5 weeks to make sure he was fully healed. I remember reports before the season started that he was flying but just didn't have his "strength" yet.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure they "knew" he was going to miss significant time. It was more of Kesler taking an extra 3-5 weeks to make sure he was fully healed. I remember reports before the season started that he was flying but just didn't have his "strength" yet.

If I recall he was supposed to be out a good chunk of time but the lockout happened. I believe that January or so was the expected return date. Going into the season with Sedin, an injured Kesler, a Malhotra who was being given 10 games to prove he could still play, Lapierre and Ebbett. That's just not a smart move. This team has usually been strong down the center. This year we've struggled and our standing and faceoff percentage shows that.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This kind of throws me back to the days where our best recall options on the farm were the likes of Brad Leeb, Herb Vasiljevs, Justin Kurtz, Ryan Ready, Pat Kavanagh, etc.

PTSD settling in...

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
The recall of Gordon just shows how depleted our prospect list is. He is a career minor leaguer. I have liked what I have seen of Jensen so far in Chicago. Yes, he is still adjusting but that kid has hands - 2 goals in 5 games pretty good right now for a parent team that is having trouble scoring. When Dale Weise has to score for you you know you are in trouble :) Jensen's D game needs to improve. No doubt. I don't think Sweatt is still hurt?

You don't have to look any further than this call up to realize just how badly Gillis has depleted this teams prospects. How many other teams in the league would be calling up A career minor leaguer ?

Gillis and his staff have done a pathetic job letting this team run out of forward prospects,

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Lots of teams call up minor leaguers when they have four forwards injured.

Last edited:

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008

Ditto for Lain. Hasn't he been playing all year at LSS? Isn't he a good face off man? Why can't we see someone with a hope of playing in the NHL? What a freakin sunny-side downer.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
This kind of throws me back to the days where our best recall options on the farm were the likes of Brad Leeb, Herb Vasiljevs, Justin Kurtz, Ryan Ready, Pat Kavanagh, etc.

PTSD settling in...

At least we have some players behind these scrubs playing well in Junior. A week from now I'm sure Jensen would be the one coming up.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
On the other hand at least the canucks are calling up the Andrew Gordon's of the world after injuries to 25% of their forward group instead of playing them on a regular basis or even full time..

My oh my how people have forgotten the days of Brad Isbister, Byron Ritchie, and some combination of Shannon/Jaffray/Pettinger/Beech. Days when the best player in the bottom 6 on some nights was Jeff Cowan. They were all wastes of space and no better than depth call ups the canucks are using now except they were regulars. I'd wager there really aren't many teams that can go 4 or 5 deep on callups.

And really at least Gordon has 50 games of NHL experience.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
On the other hand at least the canucks are calling up the Andrew Gordon's of the world after injuries to 25% of their forward group instead of playing them on a regular basis or even full time..

My oh my how people have forgotten the days of Brad Isbister, Byron Ritchie, and some combination of Shannon/Jaffray/Pettinger/Beech. Days when the best player in the bottom 6 on some nights was Jeff Cowan. They were all wastes of space and no better than depth call ups the canucks are using now except they were regulars. I'd wager there really aren't many teams that can go 4 or 5 deep on callups.

And really at least Gordon has 50 games of NHL experience.

As long as he plays limited minutes he should be fine.
But if I see him on the point on the powerplay I reserve the right to b*itch and complain. He's clearly not at the Bryon Ritchie level of being a power play quarterback. :laugh:

arsmaster*

Now that everyone's lost there mind about Gordon coming up, watch him get a goal tonight and stick around forever.

He and Ebbett with Weise on their wing is going to absolutely torch the Coyotes tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad