Recalled/Assigned: Andrew Gordon Called Up

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
On the other hand at least the canucks are calling up the Andrew Gordon's of the world after injuries to 25% of their forward group instead of playing them on a regular basis or even full time..

My oh my how people have forgotten the days of Brad Isbister, Byron Ritchie, and some combination of Shannon/Jaffray/Pettinger/Beech. Days when the best player in the bottom 6 on some nights was Jeff Cowan. They were all wastes of space and no better than depth call ups the canucks are using now except they were regulars. I'd wager there really aren't many teams that can go 4 or 5 deep on callups.

And really at least Gordon has 50 games of NHL experience.

Exactly right, Gillis has added enough depth that when healthy we have a full lineup of NHL players. Gillis has added alot of depth with acquiring Higgins and Lappierre. The only forwards he has let go that went on to play okay somewhere else is Torres. While he has added numerous players. Hopefully Schoeder, Jensen and Kassian are playing well next year are low paying contracts.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Gordon called up...

noose.gif

Maybe I'm being over dramatic.

I don't like that.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You don't have to look any further than this call up to realize just how badly Gillis has depleted this teams prospects. How many other teams in the league would be calling up A career minor leaguer ?

Gillis and his staff have done a pathetic job letting this team run out of forward prospects,

Toronto recalled Ryan Hamilton today, a 27 year old with 3 career NHL games.

NJD is using Tim Sestito.

Adam Cracknell was up for St. Louis.

The Ducks had Nate Guenin up for a while.

Boston had Jamie Tardif. Played his first NHL games this year at 28.

There's a reason why guys like Gordon, Ebbet, etc. have X number of NHL games. They get used as depth call-ups. It's ****ing normal. Especially when teams have what, 5 forwards hurt?

Jesus, think about that. 5 forwards. We have people going into histrionics over the team's 17th forward or whatever this is, and demanding that they call up injured players instead. What. The. ****. Anton ****ing Rodin? Are you serious?

Last edited:

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
lol what's the big deal, we have like 5 forwards out, of course we're gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as call ups go

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
This kind of throws me back to the days where our best recall options on the farm were the likes of Brad Leeb, Herb Vasiljevs, Justin Kurtz, Ryan Ready, Pat Kavanagh, etc.

PTSD settling in...

More like nostalgia. Major difference between those guys and Gordon? NHL experience. Guy played half the year in the bigs last season, and did not look out of place.

Keep in mind, he is not our best recall option, even at his position. He's number 3, behind Schroeder and Ebbett. Problem is, we already called them up. So Gordon is our 3rd call-up amongst centermen, making him our 7th centerman.

Can I say that again? 7TH CENTERMAN. With NHL experience, sound defensive play, and the ability to win faceoffs. What teams out there have better talent at such a low slot on the depth charts? Not many, so chill.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Where is AHL superstar Jason Krog when you need him?! Seriously our depth sucks.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Why are people complaining about the center depth on the wolves? You guys realize the canucks had already called up their number one and two center?

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
I hope Gordon plays well, but look at the number of forwards out with injury or illness for tonight's game against Phoenix:

Malhotra, Kesler, Booth, Kassian, Higgins, Pinizzotto, and Sestito's apparently limping...

Sure, Manny is never going to play another game for the organization, but he was on the roster when the season started, and Pinizzotto would have been there on opening night if he hadn't been injured.

The best way to slice that is that the Canucks have four middle six forwards out. Of course they're going to call up anyone who knows his backside from a hold in the ground.

Gordon's a replacement 4th liner at the NHL level, and with almost 50 games of experience he's a known quantity and knows what to expect.

As for Jensen, yes, he's a got a ton more upside, but it just doesn't make sense to call him up.

It takes time to adjust to the smaller ice, and better he spend that time in the AHL where it's a little easier and where the organization doesn't burn a year off his ELC before he's had time to adjust to the ice surface. It doesn't matter how badly the Canucks need forwards, it just does not make sense to burn that ELC year when the most they could have got out of him was 20 games - and at a reduced effectiveness because he had to adjust to the NHL and the smaller ice at once. That's bad asset management.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This is fine as long as Schroeder isn't stuck onto the wing or something. Or in order to keep Ebbett happy he's suddenly put onto the 1st or 2nd line.

Watch it happen.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
For someone who constantly chirps about "depth", Gillis has sure built a team that doesn't have any.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
Ebbett and Gordon have some chemistry from the AHL, worth a shot. Also, Gordon is not that bad of a player considering where he is at on our depth chart.

Also, the team has been quite aware of our lack of depth at center since the summer, but I am glad that they are not rushing the trade and making sure that they get the right return.

It is not at all uncommon for teams that face some adversity in the regular season to translate that into playoff success, remember our first two trips to the final? If you think this season is frustrating you should have heard the call in shows then!

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
For someone who constantly chirps about "depth", Gillis has sure built a team that doesn't have any.

The Canucks are out 4 regular top nine forwards and 2 regular 4th line forwards.

No depth in this league would patch up that many injuries.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Canucks are out 4 regular top nine forwards and 2 regular 4th line forwards.

No depth in this league would patch up that many injuries.

A great man once said:

Canuck board rule #1: Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Oh wait that was me...on the last page!

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Wait hasn't Jensen been playing in pro league all year? Hasn't he been playing really well in that league? Not ready? What is he a freakin hard boiled egg?

He's 19 and played in Sweden. The Sedins were 19 and playing in Sweden and then came to N. America to play in the NHL and fans like you wanted them shipped out ASAP. How bout we give Jensen some time to get acclimated to N. American hockey again and then lets see how he does playing in the AHL before declaring him the next Wayne Gretzky.

LolClarkson*

On the other hand at least the canucks are calling up the Andrew Gordon's of the world after injuries to 25% of their forward group instead of playing them on a regular basis or even full time..

My oh my how people have forgotten the days of Brad Isbister, Byron Ritchie, and some combination of Shannon/Jaffray/Pettinger/Beech. Days when the best player in the bottom 6 on some nights was Jeff Cowan. They were all wastes of space and no better than depth call ups the canucks are using now except they were regulars. I'd wager there really aren't many teams that can go 4 or 5 deep on callups.

And really at least Gordon has 50 games of NHL experience.

We got into the second round of the playoffs with those guys.

How are they any different then the current joke show ?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
We got into the second round of the playoffs with those guys.

How are they any different then the current joke show ?

No they actually missed the playoffs with those guys. they made the playoffs with other stiffs (Smolinkski, Bulis, Green) but they got into the second round for one reason and one reason only....Roberto Luongo somehow out dueled a guy who had 3 shutouts, 2 games with only one regulation goal against and only 2 regulaltion goals in yet another game in one 7 game series.

And more to the point, after seeing what Luongo could do, instead of improving the team by replacing those stiffs with better players he replaced them with arguably worse stiffs and surprise surprise missed the playoffs altogether.

Last edited:

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
would of liked to see Archibald called up... Gordon is not Wolves best player LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->