Recalled/Assigned: Andrew Gordon Called Up

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Sens seem to be doing alright with their prospect depth.
Our prospect depth is in D and goaltending, neither of which we needed to use yet.

Not to mention, our top prospect pool is very young and still 1-2 years from the NHL, Corrado, Gaunce, Jensen. Jensen's the closest, but his transition back to NA ice hasn't been smooth.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
He was the best player for maybe 10-15 games this season. He has been below average for the last 5-6 games.

Yes. Generally a winger but forced into center position by injuries and call-ups. Played excellent from January (was easily the team's best player) up to the time he got tripped into the boards and hurt his groin. Since his return has been less effective.

Chicago is really hurting at center now - no Gordon, no Schroeder, no Ebbett. Longpre, whose play has also faded, I guess is the top center along with people like Schneider (playing hurt) and Kattelus. Not a pretty picture for them but may give people like Friesen and Mallet some time. However, probably means they miss the playoffs.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
i thought we just need wingers to replace Siesto and Kassian Booth? Do we really need to call up a centre?

LolClarkson*

No they actually missed the playoffs with those guys. they made the playoffs with other stiffs (Smolinkski, Bulis, Green) but they got into the second round for one reason and one reason only....Roberto Luongo somehow out dueled a guy who had 3 shutouts, 2 games with only one regulation goal against and only 2 regulaltion goals in yet another game in one 7 game series.

And more to the point, after seeing what Luongo could do, instead of improving the team by replacing those stiffs with better players he replaced them with arguably worse stiffs and surprise surprise missed the playoffs altogether.

You are correct on which stiffs made the playoffs.

What you are incorrect on is that Nonis was in a rebuild which consisted of the following:

1)Transition the Sedins to top line players
2)Replenish the farm
3)wait out old contracts
4)Hire a new coach and change the system

Gillis is not in a rebuild nor is this an underdog team like the Nonis era.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Makes the simple plays, finishes his checks, and has not yet been a liability, seems like a real smart player from his interviews, would be interesting to see what he could do if he was given the same chances to play offensive hockey as Ebbitt and Schroeder.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm noticing him in a good way. He is finishing checks whenever possible and quite a few times I think to myself "Good hustle to break up the play. What number is he?" Then I see the 44.

I have to say I'm slightly surprised at how well he has fit in.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You are correct on which stiffs made the playoffs.

What you are incorrect on is that Nonis was in a rebuild which consisted of the following:

1)Transition the Sedins to top line players
2)Replenish the farm
3)wait out old contracts
4)Hire a new coach and change the system

Gillis is not in a rebuild nor is this an underdog team like the Nonis era.

lol

1) the Sedins had already transitoned to be the teams second and 4th leading scorers in 2005/2006 and the leading scorers in the next year. That transition had been complete for 2 years before Nonis was fired for missing the playoffs again.

2) he never put anybody on the farm his final 2 season at the draft table except for Grabner. Like Burke he gave 2nd and 3rd round picks out like candy. An unusual tactic for someone who is supposed to be rebuilding.

3) given he signed those contracts he doesn't get a by on them. You can't on one hand complain about Gillis signing some of the contracts he does and tying his own hands and ignore that for Nonis. In particular the Naslund extension.

4) AV was already in place for 2 season when Nonis was fired. The first season they went to the second round on the strength of the goaltending and a strong team system. The system was already implemented a long time prior to him being fired.

What Nonis did is what Talon did this year. He assumed lightening would strike twice for certain aspects of his team and didn't improve those aspects. Bad assumption. The second round berth may have been a surprise but it is for every team that first tiem. You quite simply have to move forward when you have some sort of success.

Anyways on Gordon....hey look the depth isn't all that terrible. They can come in and do a good conservative job.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
2) he never put anybody on the farm his final 2 season at the draft table except for Grabner. Like Burke he gave 2nd and 3rd round picks out like candy. An unusual tactic for someone who is supposed to be rebuilding.

I wouldn't call Nonis a motorcycle salesman..

LolClarkson*

lol

1) the Sedins had already transitoned to be the teams second and 4th leading scorers in 2005/2006 and the leading scorers in the next year. That transition had been complete for 2 years before Nonis was fired for missing the playoffs again.

3) given he signed those contracts he doesn't get a by on them. You can't on one hand complain about Gillis signing some of the contracts he does and tying his own hands and ignore that for Nonis. In particular the Naslund extension.

4) AV was already in place for 2 season when Nonis was fired. The first season they went to the second round on the strength of the goaltending and a strong team system. The system was already implemented a long time prior to him being fired.

What Nonis did is what Talon did this year. He assumed lightening would strike twice for certain aspects of his team and didn't improve those aspects. Bad assumption. The second round berth may have been a surprise but it is for every team that first tiem. You quite simply have to move forward when you have some sort of success.

Anyways on Gordon....hey look the depth isn't all that terrible. They can come in and do a good conservative job.

I am saying that Nonis was going through this process during his whole tenure. Gillis came in when all and I mean all the easy work was done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad