Value of: Andrew Copp

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
How? They keep Dumba, Poink and their number 1 dman Cant think of his name left handed shot.

Jets have too many forwards and D to protect......depth helps them now but at the XD they need to move someone out. Dumba is a upgrade over DeMelo but is the difference really worth losing Copp, 1st, Ves & DeMelo to get Dumba.....no it’s not and I like Dumba. I’m not insulting Dumba but he’s not worth all that, sooner keep DeMelo, 1st rd pick and just trade Copp for more futures that are safe from the XD.

Reactions: Huffer and Pongs21

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I like Dumba but:

- I see DeMelo as a good #5 defensive D.

- Ves looks like a solid 3rd line winger pacing very similar to Armia development & style.

- 1st rd pick will be later rd pick.

- Copp plays centre/wing effectively and is excellent two way physical player with leadership ability, can play PP and PK. Copp is a RFA with a min of one year control, obviously depends on contract negotiations, but let’s say min one year control at worse.

- Dumba IMO is stronger offensively then defensively top 4 D.....you’ll notice I’m not calling him a purely offensive D intentionally. He also only has two years term before UFA.

- By doing a trade before or after XD changes things but not necessarily better. If we trade him pre XD then it’s for a significant upgrade over DeMelo or futures who are safe from XD. If we trade him after XD then we lose someone good either forward or D.

- So while Dumba is obviously an upgrade over DeMelo it’s not worth losing Copp, 1st, Ves and then likely DeMelo b/c we would have to protect Dumba, Pionk and Josh.

- Honestly I just don’t see a Copp/Dumba trade happening barring Chevy making a deal with Seattle to take Harkins and not someone else on our roster who are all much better then Harkins.
I think demelo is at least a #4 on most teams a #5 on great teams with a stacked D.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
man I would love Copp on the Rangers especially if they dont keep Buchnevich long term but I dont think they'd part with Nils or Schneider

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the Jets trade Copper and protect Apples, who do they expose with Harkins?

eliasjx

Apr 23, 2018
Vancouver
I think he likes Winnipeg. He’s always out at a coffee shop near my house talking to fans and smiling. Seems like he is enjoying life in Wpg.
Which coffee shop or neighbourhood of the city (if you don't want to be too specific)?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yeh I would never suggest he’s a 2C lock, but he can play a top 6 role and is a very good top 9 centre/winger Jack of all trades Swiss Army knife type of player. Over a full season I would expect him to put up 40+ points assuming he’s playing with some kind of talent and/or some PP time. I would love to keep him, but we only have so much cap room and all teams have to cycle out some players each year once they need raises and make room for young ELC players. Lowry being signed likely meant Copp was going to be traded.
Copp kind of reminds me what the rangers lost when they let Fast leave in UFA cause of the stupid 3rd year worth 2mill. I like that he could play center and fast couldn’t. I’d love to add him to NYR but have no idea what Winnipeg would want in return. Schneider/ Lundkvist is too much and skinner alone is prob not enough. Also, I’m not sure paying him north of 4 mill is a good idea. He certainly has grit and talent but I’m a little weary of signing guys when the play their best year statistically In a contract year. I know the rangers would love to add what he bring but I’m still 50/50 on the assets to get him and cost to sign him.
Would the jets take say Hunter Skinner plus a draft pick for Copp?? Skinner is a physical mobile D whose impressed everywhere he’s gone so far. He’s had a solid showing in the AHL since he signed. I see him as more of a very good 3rd pair guy if he keeps developing. I just think he jammed behind Fox, Trouba, Schneider, and Lundkvist to ever make the rangers roster

Last edited:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Copp kind of reminds me what the rangers lost when they let Fast leave in UFA cause of the stupid 3rd year worth 2mill. I like that he could play center and fast couldn’t. I’d love to add him to NYR but have no idea what Winnipeg would want in return. Schneider/ Lundkvist is too much and skinner alone is prob not enough. Also, I’m not sure paying him north of 4 mill is a good idea. He certainly has grit and talent but I’m a little weary of signing guys when the play their best year statistically In a contract year. I know the rangers would love to add what he bring but I’m still 50/50 on the assets to get him and cost to sign him.
Would the jets take say Hunter Skinner plus a draft pick for Copp?? Skinner is a physical mobile D whose impressed everywhere he’s gone so far. He’s had a solid showing in the AHL since he signed. I see him as more of a very good 3rd pair guy if he keeps developing. I just think he jammed behind Fox, Trouba, Schneider, and Lundkvist to ever make the rangers roster
Jets have no shortage of 3rd pairing D, so Skinner wouldn’t move the needle. The reason for Copp’s emergence has more to do with Laine being traded and giving Copp a chance to move up the lineup. His best use would be 3rd line center or 2nd line center/wing on a team with that need. Jets have a pretty formidable top 6 making it tough for him to be a regular 2nd line option. I think he would bring a decent return if Chevy goes to market with him.

Reactions: Snowman and Huffer

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Jets have no shortage of 3rd pairing D, so Skinner wouldn’t move the needle. The reason for Copp’s emergence has more to do with Laine being traded and giving Copp a chance to move up the lineup. His best use would be 3rd line center or 2nd line center/wing on a team with that need. Jets have a pretty formidable top 6 making it tough for him to be a regular 2nd line option. I think he would bring a decent return if Chevy goes to market with him.
Yea that’s what I figured. It’s the same deal for NYR they would welcome him in the bottom 6 as a 3c but no way his sniffs top 6 duty or even top 9 on the wings with panarin,LaF,kreider , kakko, Kravtsov, and Buch all ahead of him on the depth chart. Let alone getting any PP time. I know he won’t put up the same kind of numbers here but we would welcome everything else he can do on the bottom 6. I just don’t know what a good trade between the 2 teams could be to facilitate it.
All the jets are looking for is RD?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Yea that’s what I figured. It’s the same deal for NYR they would welcome him in the bottom 6 as a 3c but no way his sniffs top 6 duty or even top 9 on the wings with panarin,LaF,kreider , kakko, Kravtsov, and Buch all ahead of him on the depth chart. Let alone getting any PP time. I know he won’t put up the same kind of numbers here but we would welcome everything else he can do on the bottom 6. I just don’t know what a good trade between the 2 teams could be to facilitate it.
All the jets are looking for is RD?
RD is a need but he won’t likely return a 2RD without a nice add on our part. I don’t see that from the Rangers. Probably not the best trade partners imo.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
RD is a need but he won’t likely return a 2RD without a nice add on our part. I don’t see that from the Rangers. Probably not the best trade partners imo.
Would Timmins for Copp come close in value?

He's not quite a top 4 RHD yet, but Timmins does have that potential and took big strides towards that in the playoffs where he was really solid against Vegas.

Avs may need to replace some glue guys as they already lost Calvert and possibly also Saad and Landeskog, so someone like Copp seems like a logical target.

Reactions: jetsforever

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Would Timmins for Copp come close in value?

He's not quite a top 4 RHD yet, but Timmins does have that potential and took big strides towards that in the playoffs where he was really solid against Vegas.

Avs may need to replace some glue guys as they already lost Calvert and possibly also Saad and Landeskog, so someone like Copp seems like a logical target.
I am guessing that Copp will be a part of a larger deal for a 1 OR 2 RHD. It is our main weakness and we have an abundance of 5/6/7 D now. Pick(s) might get it done after we gave up 2 seconds for Dillon though.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad