Value of: Andrew Copp

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I certainly hope he isn't moved to protect Appleton. The only reason I'd want to move him was if he wanted too much money or requested a trade.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Vegas should trade for Appleton. They aren't participating in the draft and can afford his cap hit next season. He also fits their style of play.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't like Copp as the basis for a Dumba trade, but what do Jets fans have in mind for that plus?

I would say if you’re asking that and you were the Wild GM then the Jets would look at someone else. Makes no sense from a Jets POV to add to Copp with the XD looming. Neither team wants to trade their guy, only makes sense if it makes each team better and/or in a better situation for the XD.....

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
What are the Jets ED concerns?

Jets have too many good players to protect, so Copp might be the odd man out b/c he’s due a raise this year as a RFA and Jets only have so much cap space and need to upgrade their Top 4 D still. So I think the only targets they would be looking at is top 4 D (depends who might require a plus to Copp) or futures (picks/prospects) type of return. Last thing they want or need is a big cap hit forward, it’s already our strength.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Jets have too many good players to protect, so Copp might be the odd man out b/c he’s due a raise this year as a RFA and Jets only have so much cap space and need to upgrade their Top 4 D still. So I think the only targets they would be looking at is top 4 D (depends who might require a plus to Copp) or futures (picks/prospects) type of return. Last thing they want or need is a big cap hit forward, it’s already our strength.

Do you think it takes a 1st to acquire Copp? Are the Sabres defensemen prospects not to your liking? Just curious. I understand if they're not.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I think he likes Winnipeg. He’s always out at a coffee shop near my house talking to fans and smiling. Seems like he is enjoying life in Wpg.

Reactions: jgimp

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I would say if you’re asking that and you were the Wild GM then the Jets would look at someone else. Makes no sense from a Jets POV to add to Copp with the XD looming. Neither team wants to trade their guy, only makes sense if it makes each team better and/or in a better situation for the XD.....
Minnesota effectively needs to trade Dumba or they're going to have to make some ugly cuts up front. They've gotten away with maintaining a very expensive top-4, but that's not going to survive extensions for Kaprizov, Fiala and Eriksson-Ek this summer.

Copp, Vaisalainen and 1st 2021 for Dumba
That's actually better than I was expecting, but I don't think it'd work. Maybe I'm short-changing Copp but I think Eriksson-Ek's already got his spot on this team.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Copp, Vaisalainen and 1st 2021 for Dumba

That trade effectively means Jets are paying Copp, Ves and a 1st rd pick for two years of Dumba (top 4 D) and further creating more problems at the XD for themselves......no chance Jets do that. Jets would be far better off trading Copp for pure futures (picks/prospects) who are XD safe.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That trade effectively means Jets are paying Copp, Ves and a 1st rd pick for two years of Dumba (top 4 D) and further creating more problems at the XD for themselves......no chance Jets do that. Jets would be far better off trading Copp for pure futures (picks/prospects) who are XD safe.
It could be done after the expansion draft if Minnesota buys out Parise, which might be inevitable at this point.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It could be done after the expansion draft if Minnesota buys out Parise, which might be inevitable at this point.

I like Dumba but:

- I see DeMelo as a good #5 defensive D.

- Ves looks like a solid 3rd line winger pacing very similar to Armia development & style.

- 1st rd pick will be later rd pick.

- Copp plays centre/wing effectively and is excellent two way physical player with leadership ability, can play PP and PK. Copp is a RFA with a min of one year control, obviously depends on contract negotiations, but let’s say min one year control at worse.

- Dumba IMO is stronger offensively then defensively top 4 D.....you’ll notice I’m not calling him a purely offensive D intentionally. He also only has two years term before UFA.

- By doing a trade before or after XD changes things but not necessarily better. If we trade him pre XD then it’s for a significant upgrade over DeMelo or futures who are safe from XD. If we trade him after XD then we lose someone good either forward or D.

- So while Dumba is obviously an upgrade over DeMelo it’s not worth losing Copp, 1st, Ves and then likely DeMelo b/c we would have to protect Dumba, Pionk and Josh.

- Honestly I just don’t see a Copp/Dumba trade happening barring Chevy making a deal with Seattle to take Harkins and not someone else on our roster who are all much better then Harkins.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I like Dumba but:

- I see DeMelo as a good #5 defensive D.

- Ves looks like a solid 3rd line winger pacing very similar to Armia development & style.

- 1st rd pick will be later rd pick.

- Copp plays centre/wing effectively and is excellent two way physical player with leadership ability, can play PP and PK. Copp is a RFA with a min of one year control, obviously depends on contract negotiations, but let’s say min one year control at worse.

- Dumba IMO is stronger offensively then defensively top 4 D.....you’ll notice I’m not calling him a purely offensive D intentionally. He also only has two years term before UFA.

- By doing a trade before or after XD changes things but not necessarily better. If we trade him pre XD then it’s for a significant upgrade over DeMelo or futures who are safe from XD. If we trade him after XD then we lose someone good either forward or D.

- So while Dumba is obviously an upgrade over DeMelo it’s not worth losing Copp, 1st, Ves and then likely DeMelo b/c we would have to protect Dumba, Pionk and Josh.

- Honestly I just don’t see a Copp/Dumba trade happening barring Chevy making a deal with Seattle to take Harkins and not someone else on our roster who are all much better then Harkins.
Yeah I don't see it either because the fit doesn't seem right in either direction. Minnesota really needs to add a top-6 center and even with Copp's strong production this year I'm not sure he can be that. I'm not sure he can't be that either honestly. It's an even worse year than usual to try to stat-watch players.

The thing that gives me pause is that Copp might be a pretty good bang-for-the-buck sort of player for the next couple of years, which could be real handy down the line for Minnesota. Ultimately it's probably hoping for too much for him to be a 50+ point center, though.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yeah I don't see it either because the fit doesn't seem right in either direction. Minnesota really needs to add a top-6 center and even with Copp's strong production this year I'm not sure he can be that. I'm not sure he can't be that either honestly. It's an even worse year than usual to try to stat-watch players.

The thing that gives me pause is that Copp might be a pretty good bang-for-the-buck sort of player for the next couple of years, which could be real handy down the line for Minnesota. Ultimately it's probably hoping for too much for him to be a 50+ point center, though.

Yeh I would never suggest he’s a 2C lock, but he can play a top 6 role and is a very good top 9 centre/winger Jack of all trades Swiss Army knife type of player. Over a full season I would expect him to put up 40+ points assuming he’s playing with some kind of talent and/or some PP time. I would love to keep him, but we only have so much cap room and all teams have to cycle out some players each year once they need raises and make room for young ELC players. Lowry being signed likely meant Copp was going to be traded.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
How? They keep Dumba, Poink and their number 1 dman Cant think of his name left handed shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad