Value of: Andrew Copp

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Jets are in an uncomfortable situation re: the EX draft and may be considering moving Copp before the EX draft in order to hold onto Appleton or ?. Copp went to arbitration last contract and has the same agent as his buddy Trouba which doesn’t bode well for the coming negotiations if he wants out of Winnipeg. He has had a breakout year and plays up and down the lineup. He plays a 200’ game and he has real leadership qualities. So, what is he worth before the draft?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I suspect he might be traded as you say, I would hope they target top 4 D as the trade target even if they need to add to Copp to get it. He’s a valuable player, physical, solid two way player, a leader on the team and plays both wing & centre very well.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Jets are in an uncomfortable situation re: the EX draft and may be considering moving Copp before the EX draft in order to hold onto Appleton or ?. Copp went to arbitration last contract and has the same agent as his buddy Trouba which doesn’t bode well for the coming negotiations if he wants out of Winnipeg. He has had a breakout year and plays up and down the lineup. He plays a 200’ game and he has real leadership qualities. So, what is he worth before the draft?

I'd be looking at Detroit (Caps pick), Columbus (Bolts or Leafs pick) or New Jersey (Islanders pick) for a late 1st in return.

I would do it post expansion draft if it made a difference. As he's a Michigan kid, Detroit feels like the best fit but it depends how close they feel they are to contending.

My ideal outcome is he signs long term here though.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don’t think his contract term (1 yr) or the cost (5.4M) would be of interest to Chevy. Best guess is draft pick(s) or a non XD eligible player.

Not to mention I’m not so sure if Risto even helps the Jets, I wouldn’t have any interest in him personally.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I am more curious on what it would take to resign Copp long-term. He may want to stay with the Jets rather than reboot with a sorry franchise and take a bit of a discount like the rest of our core has done to keep our team competitive.

What would a long-term contract look like with the Jets?

If we can’t resign him, he should attract some trade interest. A lot of good things to say about him.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I suspect he might be traded as you say, I would hope they target top 4 D as the trade target even if they need to add to Copp to get it. He’s a valuable player, physical, solid two way player, a leader on the team and plays both wing & centre very well.
How do you trade copp for a D man when we'd have to turn around and protect that dman in the XD and lose one of demelo/Stanly?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
How do you trade copp for a D man when we'd have to turn around and protect that dman in the XD and lose one of demelo/Stanly?

DeMelo is ok, but if we can upgrade over him it’s a cost I would consider......obviously depends on who we could get. Minor upgrade I agree it’s a waste, bigger upgrade then maybe.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I think it would have to be a good prospect or young D not draft eligible. So, the team trading that player would obviously have to have a forward spot available on their protected list.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think it would have to be a good prospect or young D not draft eligible. So, the team trading that player would obviously have to have a forward spot available on their protected list.

That’s also an option of course, helps in the future not next season likely.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd rather re-sign him, and I get the vibe that he wants to stay (despite the last round of negotiations going badly). I'm pretty sure there's already an XD deal with Seattle in place, or we wouldn't have re-signed Lowry already, so we aren't trading him just for the sake of minimizing our XD losses. I'm okay up to 4 million, Copper brings a ton to the organization and he can be used in every situation.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
2nd plus Ryan Johnson or Marcus Johansson. Johnson is a smart smooth skating late 1st round pick. Both are expansion draft exempt.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I think he probably gets resigned, but assuming he's moved I would hope for a Copp+ for a top 4 RD

Reactions: jetsforever

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think he probably gets resigned, but assuming he's moved I would hope for a Copp+ for a top 4 RD

That’s certainly an option, but as mentioned before the top 4 D if he’s not XD protected then he would need to be significantly better then DeMelo otherwise we likely/possibly lose DeMelo in the XD which would be a negative unless we get a significant upgrade. DeMelo has been playing well lately after a slow start of the year partly due to missing early part of the year due to his child being born. DeMelo is a solid defensive D and can play up and down the lineup

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Oddly enough, I see the rangers having interest in Copp as well. He checks a lot of boxes for what they want in their bottom 6. He won’t get PP time there. So I doubt he’ll put up the same kind of numbers. I have no idea what they would trade for him.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Oddly enough, I see the rangers having interest in Copp as well. He checks a lot of boxes for what they want in their bottom 6. He won’t get PP time there. So I doubt he’ll put up the same kind of numbers. I have no idea what they would trade for him.[/QUOT
I can see the fit there but not a suitable return. They just don’t seem to have a surplus of what we need, like RD solid prospects. Also wonder if they might be a little gun shy after the Trouba trade?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yea I don’t see them parting with either Schneider or Lundkvist for Copp to play on 3rd line. Maybe a 3-way deal can be worked out. But he’s definitely the type of player the rangers are going to target this offseason.
I don’t see why they would be gun shy. We make the Trouba deal again, Pionk would still be a redundant with his skill set here. Trouba was very good for the rangers this year. Our team kind of fell apart when he got injured and he’s been instrumental in K’Andre miller’s development.
He’s not ever going to get 50pts with the rangers like he did in the peg. That’s not his role. He won’t get any PP time here

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad