Confirmed with Link: Andrew Cogliano to Avs for 2024 5th round pick

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I liked his jump last night, he really helped create a lot of havoc on that 4th line last night. Too bad there's next to no finishing ability between the three of them, but he did what a good 4th liner should do and was a forecheck beast pinning the puck in the O zone.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I have to admit I was confused about this pickup, but I love what he’s brought so far. This is the kinda player that is key for a good playoff run. Stoked how he’s immediately improving our bottom six.

Nuke-Mack-Rants
Lando-Kadri-Bura
Lehk-Hook-JTC
Cogs-Sturm-Helm/LOC

That’s looking solid

Reactions: Alienblood

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That 3rd line looks like it's going to get abused in the playoffs.

I think you're underestimating the impact Lehkonen should have on that line.

Though I agree its very risky to run Newhook as the 3C. It could work out great, but it could also blow up in our faces. I like the look of the 4th line a lot though. Sturm is just such a breath of fresh air compared to Jost. Good size and he actually uses it, solid faceoff guy... And Cogliano is fitting this team like a glove.

Reactions: jabubenice

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think you're underestimating the impact Lehkonen should have on that line.

Though I agree its very risky to run Newhook as the 3C. It could work out great, but it could also blow up in our faces. I like the look of the 4th line a lot though. Sturm is just such a breath of fresh air compared to Jost. Good size and he actually uses it, solid faceoff guy... And Cogliano is fitting this team like a glove.

II guess we'll find out soon enough, but Lehkonen is still only one player. He can't stop Compher from making boneheaded decisions or Newhook losing board battles.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I haven’t really liked Newhook’s game recently, but it shouldn’t take away from what’s been a solid rookie season.

Both Compher and Newhook are sitting at a .42 PPG for the season, which is fine for 3rd line players. I think they could use someone to help drive play and pick them up defensively, hopefully Lekhonen can help with that.

Without Landeskog and Lekhonen in the lineup. It’s hard to get a read on what the forward group should look like when at full strength.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I haven’t really liked Newhook’s game recently, but it shouldn’t take away from what’s been a solid rookie season.

Both Compher and Newhook are sitting at a .42 PPG for the season, which is fine for 3rd line players. I think they could use someone to help drive play and pick them up defensively, hopefully Lekhonen can help with that.

Without Landeskog and Lekhonen in the lineup. It’s hard to get a read on what the forward group should look like when at full strength.

With a healthy top 9 Compher will probably get first crack at the 3rd like spot next to Newhook and Lehkonen but his leash is going to be pretty short. Sturm has looked solid in providing defensive coverage and size on Newhook's line so it'll be easy for Bednar to promote him to 3C if/when Compher doesn't find another gear.

The 4th line of Cogliano-Helm-O'Connor were also buzzing in the OZ in the last game so that seems like something Bednar is going take more looks at. Where that leaves JTC if he doesn't take the 3RW spot could very well be in the stands with NAK. Whatever the case it's great to have options in the bottom 6 so that players are in the lineup on merit rather than due to a lack of depth.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Nailed it.

But seriously, Cogs was a major factor in the Avs run to the cup. This trade wasn't announced till 18 mins after the deadline, and we were all like, sure, whatever, another healthy body for a 5th.

In hindsight, talk about a diamond in the rough.
Lol yup.

Huge pick up we didn’t even know we needed!!

Reactions: Nihiliste

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I forget which guy mentioned it, but apparently Cogs is the one who calmed everyone down between games 5 and 6, and they seemed to credit him with this win. It's telling he got the cup so early. He clearly made a huge impression on the team. I think this acquisition by Sakic will go down as one of his all time best.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I love that Cogs got the cup after Captain and EJ, so happy for Cogs to finally get a Cup and I hope he wants to come back for another season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad