Andrew Barroway to buy 51% of the Coyotes (Done, Pending BOG Approval)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So was Shoalts just using "more on that tomorrow" to fill up space?

.... no idea, but your quite right, I just checked the G&M site & no, no followup as promised. Lack of continuity in failing to deliver is a shabby and completely unprofessional way in which to be operating for a major daily like the Globe. If its a part of a "series" as indicated then youd better be making good on it.

Note; source tells me should be published in tomorrows paper. Not exactly "tomorrow" seeing as how installment one was two-three days ago.... I guess Tomorrow Never Dies at the Globe & Mail huh? Unreal.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Could be a delay by the Editor, or just verifying facts. Also could have meant in the near future, and not exactly the next day.

I'm not sure why Shoalts gets so much grief. He focuses on business of hockey topics, which I find rather welcoming. Were it not for reporters like him and Brooksie, we'd get far less fodder, with many of the MSM and especially team beat writers staying away from topics that might anger their NHL insiders. It's too cozy.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Well if they finish dead last they have a 100% chance of getting either McDavid or Eichel, which I think is their goal.

I thought they changed that rule! Isn't it the first 3 picks that are subject to lottery now?! If the Coyotes finish 30th their chances of getting McDavid or Eichel would only be 36%! 20% + 20% of 80% if they miss the 1st pick! That's not very good! Why would the new owner do that?! And while I'm at it, why do I end all of my sentences with exclamation marks?!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Here's the deal, Coyotes are dead last in player payroll, partly because a couple of other teams are still paying portions of a couple of high salary players. So, in fact the Coyotes payroll is below the cap floor! This will be the case for too much longer as GMDM works to add skill and with it salary! We do know that the revenue drivers are small and even with subsidies this franchise does not come close to meeting it's expenses! There are many teams in the NHL that have no debt and substantially better revenue streams that are not making money!

Sorry Mesa, but you're 0 for 3 on this post.

a) The Coyotes actual payroll is not below cap floor. It's almost $5m above cap floor, even after accounting for retained salaries.

b) There is only one player on the roster that has salary retained by another team. Sam Gager, for whom Tampa is picking up $1.667m. And the Coyotes are even retaining salary on the Runblad trade, so the net income to the team involving retained salary transactions is only $1.432m.

c) The Coyotes are not dead last in actual player payroll $'s being spent. Ottawa is.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think the McEichel option is the product of too many hockey broadcasters with too much time to fill. Extremely risky from a business point of view; it would be very bad (if not catastrophic) to purposely tank and come up empty-handed. Operationally, it doesn't work for the players on the ice, the coaches or managers either: even if the overall strategy were to succeed for the franchise, the team's poor performance would be career-diminishing (and possibly even career-ending) for those associated with the team's poor performance.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think the McEichel option is the product of too many hockey broadcasters with too much time to fill. Extremely risky from a business point of view; it would be very bad (if not catastrophic) to purposely tank and come up empty-handed. Operationally, it doesn't work for the players on the ice, the coaches or managers either: even if the overall strategy were to succeed for the franchise, the team's poor performance would be career-diminishing (and possibly even career-ending) for those associated with the team's poor performance.

Tanking of this ilk seems like a strategy that could land a team in hot water with the league. I could see a strategy to trade for the top pick, which would require serious assets going in the other direction, and that I think is something a good GM would like to avoid.

This line of thought seems bizarre regardless, and that a new owner would dive in like this.... :huh:

I think media/pundits must be bored.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

Could be a delay by the Editor, or just verifying facts. Also could have meant in the near future, and not exactly the next day.

Could be Shoaltsie's code for Two Weeks Fortnight :sarcasm:

I'm not sure why Shoalts gets so much grief. He focuses on business of hockey topics, which I find rather welcoming. Were it not for reporters like him and Brooksie, we'd get far less fodder, with many of the MSM and especially team beat writers staying away from topics that might anger their NHL insiders. It's too cozy.

I get both sides here. A lot of the dislike towards Shoalts comes from the disdained tone that typically resonates from his articles towards NTM's. I used to feel the same way (He and Ken Campbell were dead even in my book). Over time however, as you described above, the business side became more my focus and takeaways from his pieces. So if I can overlook the tone(s) of his articles, perhaps well...

nevermind.

What can not be swept under the rug or overlooked is, no matter how much some may wish to discredit, profess their dislike, what not... someone, somewhere is talking. Smoke = fire. As to what size said fire is always has to be weighed and taken into account.

And later on, with the benefit of hindsight, how much came to fruition? "We'll see".

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Forgot to add (better separately perhaps)...

Regarding Eichel. Why would anyone in a hurry-up for an elite prospect willfully short itself (refraining from using the work tank) for a player that, at minimum, is 3 more yrs away from slotting into your roster?

What I'm saying is, if the notion that AZ is shorting itself in the hopes for McD but settle for Eichel as the consolation prize, yet are desperately in need of a player of that potential immediately, how does that make sense given he plays for BU?

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
...So once again Carolina's name surfaces in the Troubled Franchises Brigade.

In addition to Shoalts claiming Arizona will lose less than Carolina this season, he also noted at the end of a recent article about Las Vegas expansion that Florida is losing more money than Arizona. Of course, he does not provide any backup for this, but it does suggest that the Coyotes may no longer be the immediate frontrunner for relocation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/expansion-talk-that-happens-in-vegas-should-stay-in-vegas/article21416662/

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I thought they changed that rule! Isn't it the first 3 picks that are subject to lottery now?! If the Coyotes finish 30th their chances of getting McDavid or Eichel would only be 36%! 20% + 20% of 80% if they miss the 1st pick! That's not very good! Why would the new owner do that?! And while I'm at it, why do I end all of my sentences with exclamation marks?!

They did - but phased the changes in over two years.

For '15: Changed the %-ages (#30 25%->20%), but still only one lottery pick. A team can drop only 1 spot.

For '16: Three lottery picks for #1, #2, & #3. A team can drop up to 3 spots.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

ironpatriothockey27

Dec 26, 2013
Needles
In addition to Shoalts claiming Arizona will lose less than Carolina this season, he also noted at the end of a recent article about Las Vegas expansion that Florida is losing more money than Arizona. Of course, he does not provide any backup for this, but it does suggest that the Coyotes may no longer be the immediate frontrunner for relocation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/expansion-talk-that-happens-in-vegas-should-stay-in-vegas/article21416662/

I think he is somewhat right that Florida is now the frontrunner for relocation. It seems like all the pieces are coming together at once; low attendance, money hemorrhaging, the county doing a study to see if they would be better financially with the Panthers gone and Quebec's new arena is going to be finished by the start of next season. The NHL would prefer expansion to QC for the fees but they may have no choice but to move the Panthers to QC kind of in the same mold that the Thrashers left Atlanta to Winnipeg.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005

a) The Coyotes actual payroll is not below cap floor. It's almost $5m above cap floor, even after accounting for retained salaries.

b) There is only one player on the roster that has salary retained by another team. Sam Gager, for whom Tampa is picking up $1.667m. And the Coyotes are even retaining salary on the Runblad trade, so the net income to the team involving retained salary transactions is only $1.432m.

c) The Coyotes are not dead last in actual player payroll $'s being spent. Ottawa is.

Depends on how you factor in the Mike Ribeiro buyout, which counts against the cap.

Per Capgeek, the Coyotes' cap payroll is $58,768,228.

Adjustments:

1. Remove Ribeiro's cap hit of $1,944,444
2. Gagner is basically a wash - Tampa retains part of his cap hit along with his salary.
3. Erat has a cap hit of $4.5M but a salary of $2.25M. His cap hit is $2.25M higher than salary.
4. Doan's cap hit is $250k higher than salary.
5. Boedker's cap hit is $250k lower than salary.
6. Korpikarski's cap hit is $200k higher than salary.
7. Ekman-Larson's cap hit is $1.5M higher than salary.
8. Yandle's cap hit is $250k lower than salary.
9. Smith's salary is $333k higher than salary.
10. Coyotes are paying Runblad $212,000 to not play for them.

There's a few other minor changes that I'll ignore for simplicity.

Add it all up and their active roster has a combined salary of $53,685,000.

This is an impressive $5.1 million below their actual cap hit of $58,768,228, and of course well below the cap floor.

Hard to compile a team that has an actual salary much lower than that - Ottawa is at $55,270,000. Tippett seems to be tanking, whether he's aware of it or not.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

I don't have a problem with Shoalts or his slant as a columnist and that's not why I brought it up.

Just in my experience in the news biz, publishing something like "more on that tomorrow" and not actually publishing tomorrow is weird. An editor could have just deleted that sentence or change it to "more on that next time."

But thanks for looking into it Killion.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Chris Johnston with an article on impending UFA Antoine Vermette. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lots-of-uncertainty-ahead-for-coyotes-vermette/

Depends on how you factor in the Mike Ribeiro buyout, which counts against the cap.

Adjustments:

2. Gagner is basically a wash - Tampa retains part of his cap hit along with his salary.
3. Erat has a cap hit of $4.5M but a salary of $2.25M. His cap hit is $2.25M higher than salary.

This is an impressive $5.1 million below their actual cap hit of $58,768,228, and of course well below the cap floor.

Hard to compile a team that has an actual salary much lower than that - Ottawa is at $55,270,000. Tippett seems to be tanking, whether he's aware of it or not.

Per that article Slashers linked, it's obvious he has budgetary constraints, but mostly in the sense of not knowing what he'll have to spend for the next 3-5 years. If that's in flux, he has to be conservative. Most contracts for better players are longer than 3 yrs in term. How the heck do you put a competitive offer on the table when you don't have that budget and preferred growth guaranteed in your HRR?

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Per that article Slashers linked, it's obvious he has budgetary constraints, but mostly in the sense of not knowing what he'll have to spend for the next 3-5 years. If that's in flux, he has to be conservative. Most contracts for better players are longer than 3 yrs in term. How the heck do you put a competitive offer on the table when you don't have that budget and preferred growth guaranteed in your HRR?

This kind of thing was supposed to be shored up when the IA guys bought the team originally, was it not? They were supposed to be saviours and have money to be spent, they could get a competitive team on the ice, no more operating on a shoestring budget, and so on. Now 2 years in they are spending below the cap floor and despite a new white knight investor, still will apparently lose third-rate star Antoine Vermette due to lack of cash.

I certainly don't blame Maloney/Tippett, but it seems rather obvious that the plan is still to spend as little as possible then go somewhere else as soon as they can get out of the lease.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Adjustments:

The Coyotes actual player payroll is ~$55.8m. That includes the $1.9m they're paying to Ribeiro. The Senators actual player payroll is ~$55.3m.

Also the cap floor is $51m.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

Wrong Mouser! Do your homework on the Erat contract! And yes they are 30th in the league in payroll!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I certainly don't blame Maloney/Tippett, but it seems rather obvious that the plan is still to spend as little as possible then go somewhere else as soon as they can get out of the lease.

No you cant blame GMDM or HCDT. Doing the best with limited resources. And overall, I believe your quite correct, underwhelming performance in terms of team budget right on through to advertising, promotion, media relations etc etc etc. These guys are not spending money, at least not their own. Rather than hitting the ground running a year ago they havent even started to crawl. Playing games with announcements of this that & the other thing. Frikin Tim Hortons. You kiddin me? Almost everything contra/trade & community based. They are absolutely whiffing on every pitch & if my patience is growing thin I can only imagine what the fanbase must be thinking, never mind the citizens of Glendale, those who even care enough to realize & understand that their ship has been pierced by an iceberg & that their goin down. Pretty pathetic that Man has to hit rock bottom before realizing whats happened but here we are.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This kind of thing was supposed to be shored up when the IA guys bought the team originally, was it not? They were supposed to be saviours and have money to be spent, they could get a competitive team on the ice, no more operating on a shoestring budget, and so on. Now 2 years in they are spending below the cap floor and despite a new white knight investor, still will apparently lose third-rate star Antoine Vermette due to lack of cash.

I don't know about the whole relocation thing as being the end game, but we see eventually...but what appears to be obvious is that as Gary Bettman treats us to new owner after new owner, nothing changes. Nothing. We hear the same speeches from the owner, we hear the same saviour talk from the fans, and all that happens is we get a reprieve until the whole thing collapses again, and someone else comes out of the woodwork.

Maybe this, Barroway guys plan, is not another scam or scheme, but some real ingenious money shuffling to save costs which will in fact be spent to improve the team, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't have a problem with Shoalts or his slant as a columnist and that's not why I brought it up.

Just in my experience in the news biz, publishing something like "more on that tomorrow" and not actually publishing tomorrow is weird. An editor could have just deleted that sentence or change it to "more on that next time."

But thanks for looking into it Killion.

Neither do I really.... even if Shoalts epitomizes the Evil Canadian Media. :naughty:

But appearantly the Globe and Mail has a problem with people challenging some of the claims in Shoalts' article in the comment section.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wrong Mouser! Do your homework on the Erat contract! And yes they are 30th in the league in payroll!

Using exclamation points in all your posts doesn't make your opinions any more correct. And I am quite familiar with the Erat contract.

Perhaps you'd like to explain how the team payroll is less then the $51m cap floor as you claim?
So, in fact the Coyotes payroll is below the cap floor!

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Its too early in the season for a team like the Coyotes who are a 6th-10th seed to tank. Too much uncertainty, too many bad teams, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad