Player Discussion: Andrej Sustr

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sustr has played more NHL games then guys like Koekkoek and Barberio who were much more highly regarded around the here. Koekkoek can still pass him if he stays healthy and finds a spot somewhere. He's played more NHL games than Conacher who was thought to be a big deal once. It's helped that the right side of our D has been garbage for a long time. In the 5 seasons he was here between 13/14 and 17/18 he's 2nd in games played and 3rd in points amongst defensman. That just doesn't happen because the right side is trash, you need to be at least decent which he was. I actually don't think he'll play another game with us. I think there's too many ahead of him so either there is a rash of injuries or we just have a soft spot for him pretty sure he'll be in Syracuse all year.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah he's just a guy we can plug in if there's a buttload of injuries (or COVID quarantines) and at least he'll be better than like... Borgman was.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Sustr has played more NHL games then guys like Koekkoek and Barberio who were much more highly regarded around the here. Koekkoek can still pass him if he stays healthy and finds a spot somewhere. He's played more NHL games than Conacher who was thought to be a big deal once. It's helped that the right side of our D has been garbage for a long time. In the 5 seasons he was here between 13/14 and 17/18 he's 2nd in games played and 3rd in points amongst defensman. That just doesn't happen because the right side is trash, you need to be at least decent which he was. I actually don't think he'll play another game with us. I think there's too many ahead of him so either there is a rash of injuries or we just have a soft spot for him pretty sure he'll be in Syracuse all year.
Haven't seen the name Mark Barberio in a while, had to google his name to see where he's at these days. He's playing for Lausanne HC of the National League (Switzerland).

Reactions: LightningStrikes

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah he's just a guy we can plug in if there's a buttload of injuries (or COVID quarantines) and at least he'll be better than like... Borgman was.

I honestly don't think he would be.

Sustr's best was "do no harm," and he could barely manage that more often than not. He was one of the bigger (no pun intended) liabilities we've ever had on the ice in the time I've watched the Lightning. I always wonder if he was a personal project of Rick Bowness's or something.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I honestly don't think he would be.

Sustr's best was "do no harm," and he could barely manage that more often than not. He was one of the bigger (no pun intended) liabilities we've ever had on the ice in the time I've watched the Lightning. I always wonder if he was a personal project of Rick Bowness's or something.

That has to be the case. Koekkoek wasn't exactly great but sweet Christ alive nothing I ever saw in his games in a Lightning uniform were ever as bad as what we saw from Sustr. Koekkoek got a job elsewhere and did "okay" at it and meanwhile Sustr apparently could barely manage his stint in San Diego as part of the Ducks or play for long for the Chinese team in the KHL. Koekkoek here was just unremarkable except for a few good offensive zone pinches that never really led to anything

That's not to say we should have held onto Koekkoek. That's to say all that almost seemingly supports the idea Sustr was a project we didn't want to let go of while a player who didn't really deserve to play here never did. His track record here is markedly worse than Koekkoek's ever was

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Ice-Skating-Giraffe.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad