Player Discussion: Andrej Sustr

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
I think he did good last year with Syracuse. A big right handed D man like this, anyone know if he has good chances of making Tampa's line-up this year ?!
I know there's not a lot of place for him right now but we never know right ?!

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
He'll probably be one of the first few called up for injuries.

What will he end up to be?! Top4 kind of def?! What comparaison do you have?
I think of a kind of Braydon Coburn...but I don't know him enough to be sure of what i'm talking about.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He still has some growing to do, and another year or two in the AHL will do him a world of good. He might get some spot duty in the NHL this year with injuries, though.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He's there offensively, if he was more physical he'd be a lock, but right now his positional play is holding him back. Incredibly high ceiling

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Top 4 offensive minded D who never learns to utilize his given girth like anybody who looks at him expects him to. I think he ascends to the NHL within 2 years and has a journeymans career with lots of rollercoaster ups and downs..always leaving people wanting more but playing good enough to stick around awhile anyway.

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
Top 4 offensive minded D who never learns to utilize his given girth like anybody who looks at him expects him to. I think he ascends to the NHL within 2 years and has a journeymans career with lots of rollercoaster ups and downs..always leaving people wanting more but playing good enough to stick around awhile anyway.

So it's a Vladimir Malahkov style?! :P

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
I hope he will be 1/2 the player Seth Jones will be

Still pissed the Lightning passed over Seth Jones? You'll be glad they did when you see what Jonathan Drouin can do in 1-3 years. Look at the Memorial Cup, he couldn't even stop MacKinnon or Drouin, why? I think he landed in the perfect organisation to develop in a very good Dmen. Would you rather have a 40-50pts Dmen, or a 100pts guy? Well in Jonathan Drouin we possibly have a 100pts guy. IMHO its a no brainer to take the 100pts ceiling (elite prospect) instead of a Top Dmen (who could also become Erik Johnson). I think the Lightning went the safe way by drafted Jonathan Drouin. He'll eventually replace Marty St Louis down the road.

I Love the Drouin pick, but another guy to look forward to is Adam Erne. I've been very impressed during prospect camp, and training camp. He's got a hell of a shot, has a way to drive the net, he almost remind me of a Ryan Malone in his prime, but with better hand, and a better shot.

Damnit I went off topic again...

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
For those interested...

I wrote up a prospect profile for DobberProspects not too long ago on Sustr.

Andrej Sustr

I really like this guy long-term.

Why is he such a long term guy?! When I look at his AHL and even NHL stats last season it looks not bad at all ?

How does he look in training camp this year ?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Why is he such a long term guy?! When I look at his AHL and even NHL stats last season it looks not bad at all ?

How does he look in training camp this year ?

He still has to grow into that 6'8" frame. He needs work on the defensive side of the game and needs bigger minutes to grow his game. He won't get those minutes in the NHL. If you saw him face NHL forwards now, you'd understand that he isn't the most fleet of foot. He'd get ripped a new ass in the NHL if you threw him out there against that level of competition.

2-3yrs away imo. He can definitely shorten that time table, but it would take a lot of work on his skating and his strength.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He still has to grow into that 6'8" frame. He needs work on the defensive side of the game and needs bigger minutes to grow his game. He won't get those minutes in the NHL. If you saw him face NHL forwards now, you'd understand that he isn't the most fleet of foot. He'd get ripped a new ass in the NHL if you threw him out there against that level of competition.

2-3yrs away imo. He can definitely shorten that time table, but it would take a lot of work on his skating and his strength.

I agree. When Sustr was signed he said it himself he wasn't ready for the NHL yet and it would take a few years. One of the reasons he chose us was because he saw how we were developing players and what a great place Syracuse was for him to go with Cooper running it at the time.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bol...130920/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
“You can just see he has grown,’’ Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. “Poise, poise under pressure, it looks like the game has slowed down for him a little bit, so he’s making some savvy plays out there. And he has confidence, and you need to play in games to get that confidence. You can sit there and do all the talking you want, but until you are put in the fire you don’t really know how hot it is. I think Sustr has grown, and that’s a good sign with the limited number of games he has played.’’
“He got a lot better as the playoffs went on, looked a lot more confident with the puck, made confident plays,’’ Zettler said. “There was a point — and we had a lot of defensemen down there and a lot of good players, and we were wondering who we would put in — and it just got to the point where we couldn’t take him out. And the best thing about him is, for a big guy, he’s pretty mobile, he’s got a long reach and gets his stick on a lot of pucks, so that’s important.’’
“I think (last playoffs) definitely helped me in the transition to the pro game from the college ranks,’’ Sustr said. “In Syracuse, I started playing just a few shifts per game, but I think I improved every game and I learned the system pretty quickly. I felt just more and more comfortable and started earning more and more ice time as the playoffs continued and progressed. I felt that I played really good in the finals.’’
“I’m just trying to do my best, be aware of what I’m supposed to do and play the system the right way, the way the coaches want,’’ Sustr said. “I think my game is improving as I learn the system more and more. ... I just want to improve, whether I’m going to play here or in Syracuse. I just have to keep improving, and that’s what I’m here for and building into a full-time NHL player.’’

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Best part about this guy is that last quote. His maturity and patience, as well as his knowledge and admission that making the NHL is a process.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He's been great in the preseason so far. Its a small sample size, but he looks a lot better positionally. It just comes down to whether they want to develop him further.

Johnz96*

I'm a Wings' fan, I watched the entire Calder cup Finals last year and was very impressed with Sustr.
The Wings were reportedly also interested in signing Sustr last year.
Not having seen him or Dekeyser play, based on scouting reports I was hoping the Wings would land Sustr. As it turns out I am glad they got Dekeyser but was very impressed with Sustr in the CCF and he might end up having a bigger impact then Dekeyser in the NHL.
For someone so big, I was very impressed with Sustr's skating. Extremely tall guys like him take a little longer to grow into their bodies, Chara looked like Frankenstein on skates, his first few years in the NHL. Sustr has very good offensive instincts and a great shot, his positioning is not the best ( I was amazed at just how composed Dekeyser was coming into the NHL and within a few games was more positionally sound than most NHL d-men will ever be) but he is still learning and can make up for it sometimes with his reach.
Like Detroit Tampa is shaping up to have a great young D

Last edited by a moderator:

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
I'm a Wings' fan, I watched the entire Calder cup Finals last year and was very impressed with Sustr.
The Wings were reportedly also interested in signing Sustr last year.
Not having seen him or Dekeyser play, based on scouting reports I was hoping the Wings would land Sustr. As it turns out I am glad they got Dekeyser but was very impressed with Sustr in the CCF and he might end up having a bigger impact then Dekeyser in the NHL.
For someone so big, I was very impressed with Sustr's skating. Extremely tall guys like him take a little longer to grow into their bodies, Chara looked like Frankenstein on skates, his first few years in the NHL. Sustr has very good offensive instincts and a great shot, his positioning is not the best ( I was amazed at just how composed Dekeyser was coming into the NHL and within a few games was more positionally sound than most NHL d-men will ever be) but he is still learning and can make up for it sometimes with his reach.
Like Detroit Tampa is shaping up to have a great young D

I think Sustr is very good offensively as well, he needs to develop his defensive zone game, and his physicality. I imagine he will start as a top pair Dmen in Syracuse, play extended minutes and If someone gets hurt, he'll be the first to be called up.

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
FYI....The Fantasy Outlook in my prospect profile is related to fantasy hockey, not NHL readiness. And all reports out of camp has been Sustr is on the right path.

Expect him to start in the AHL this season and earn a call-up especially if Brewer gets hurt.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
7 NHL games so far....how does he looks ?

Pretty damned impressive actually. He's playing bottom pairing minutes with Brewer typically, but gets time with the other D as well.

His offensive instincts and thought processes are really good. His passing is top notch imo and his hands are freakish for such a tall man. He seems to get caught out on the ice at least once or twice a game though. His defensive zone work is what has impressed me the most. He's still slowish, but he thinks the game right and his reach allows him to get stick on puck well enough. Kid is much less of a project than I originally thought. He worked his ass off last bit of last season and over the off-season apparently.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
7 NHL games so far....how does he looks ?

I was going to shock the board when first saw your post and give you one word.

GREAT.

That is high praise he has made mistakes sure but his size has allowed him to recover.

He is slow honestly and hope he gets faster in open ice or chasing a fast forward but positionally wise has been solid. Has made a few impressive passes that had me like saying wow whered that come from etc..

He is getting more comfortable.

His biggest asset is that size and he is pretty sound on how he positions self. He is not physical but is able to mix it up with that size and slow people down or take pucks from them.

When slows them down allows others to get the puck from them etc..

I figure he will be a top four D with very little trouble becoming that in 3 years.

I have no idea right now on his offensive talents. So far he is focused on playing solid and has done that:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad