Player Discussion: Andrej Sustr

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I went to a Calder Cup Final game in Syracuse a long time ago. They played against the Griffins, the Red Wings farm team. A defenseman mishandled a puck passed to him on the point, no pressure or anything. Some guy screamed out, “WHO IS THAT GUY, HE SUCKS!”

Guess who it was. At the time, he was the 2nd best option out of college, next to Dekeyser, so I was a little high on him hopefully panning out. He never did.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I blame everybody making Sustr jokes about the Busch Gardens giraffe for this number 1 bull$#!+

It's like you summoned him and had the right reagents to succeed. Curses!

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
You guys really think he's gonna be in our bottom 6?? Come on. You know coop gonna put him with heddy.

Really though, he will be called up at d if we lose 10 or 15 of them.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Does a small gust of wind still knock him off the puck? For being so big he sure was weak af along the boards and in battles. Noodle arms over here.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

oops-i-did-it-again-britney-spears.gif

Reactions: Master P

OdinsFury

Oct 2, 2020
As much as we all like to bust on Sustr- he did have some moments on D. He actually is not bad on the PK as his wide reach allows him to disrupt passing lanes. On the PK, you are not skating a lot especially with the puck so his other below avg skills are hidden. That said, he only works as a 7th Dman in those PK situations and limited to playing vs other teams checking lines. He is unplayable in most other situations!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As much as we all like to bust on Sustr- he did have some moments on D. He actually is not bad on the PK as his wide reach allows him to disrupt passing lanes. On the PK, you are not skating a lot especially with the puck so his other below avg skills are hidden. That said, he only works as a 7th Dman in those PK situations and limited to playing vs other teams checking lines. He is unplayable in most other situations!

Save for Jameis Winston I have never seen any player in any sport ever get as many chances to make right. I'm convinced the coaching staff saw "BiG boii" and derped for 300 games and hoped he'd turn into Chara or something

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Save for Jameis Winston I have never seen any player in any sport ever get as many chances to make right. I'm convinced the coaching staff saw "BiG boii" and derped for 300 games and hoped he'd turn into Chara or something

"Hey we can use another Hedman, go ahead and sign him up." Except he never became another Hedman, not even close to becoming a Hedman. We kept giving him games hoping he would turn it around, he never did. Only time he should ever see the NHL ice, is if we get a massive injury bug or during preseason only. We tried that experiment before, and it failed massively.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
"Hey we can use another Hedman, go ahead and sign him up." Except he never became another Hedman, not even close to becoming a Hedman. We kept giving him games hoping he would turn it around, he never did. Only time he should ever see the NHL ice, is if we get a massive injury bug or during preseason only. We tried that experiment before, and it failed massively.

I don't know if I would even go for that. He can have a shot next year if he dominates Syracuse for a full season. I'm sorry but after that experiment my trust is short coming. He couldn't crack the Ducks and didn't do well with their AHL club either and barely held his job in China apparently. Prove you're capable for a full season and get back to me. I'm not about to watch this guy shit his pants when someone like the mighty Evan Rodrigues comes right at him such as we saw in his last season with us.

I'm pretty sure he once said he doesn't focus on negatives and would not even watch the Keith goal from the SCF that held up as the game winner

Edit: I don't hate the guy either but it was what it was with this guy like 8 years ago and nothing changed

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Likely nobody thought he’d “become another Hedman”. Sustr was never drafted for a reason.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad