Player Discussion Andrej Sekera

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
I can see us keeping him next year, but after that he should be traded. Nurse's raise is due + we have Jones or Lagesson capable of 3LD minutes by then. I think they are ready now - certainly by then.

I don't know about that. There are other contacts that need to be dumped, dealing one of our better Dmen and replacing him with a rookie is exactly the thinking that got us into this mess.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I don't know about that. There are other contacts that need to be dumped, dealing one of our better Dmen and replacing him with a rookie is exactly the thinking that got us into this mess.

I wouldn't dump Sekera before Russell. But I would dump both at the end of next season.
  • Cap factor - We have cheaper options Jones & Lagesson in the system, the cap savings from moving Sekera could go towards signing a UFA that fills a need in another area like 3C, 2RD, top 6 F. Sekera is a great defensemen. But he's expensive if we're playing him on the 3rd pairing. That cap could be better spent elsewhere is all I'm saying.
  • Waivers - Jones & Lagesson will be on new contracts that require waivers before they can be sent down. Idk how others feel, but I kind of like the idea of Jones/Lagesson competing for 3rd pairing minutes and the 'loser' gets 7D until given opportunities. One of these younger D I mentioned is likely an important part of the future of our D corps, so I'd hate to lose one to waivers.
  • Age - Sekera will be 34 before the 2020/21 season begins, how many good years do you figure he's got left?
Are you guys suggesting we move Russell and use Sekera at 2RD until his contract expires? I don't hate that idea... I see it more as a last resort.

Addressing the bolded part of your message:
Two things. Klefbomb is on a dandy contract, but Nurse will be due for a raise... making between $5-$6.5m I'm guessing. Having Sekera as a $5.5m 3rd pairing D is poor cap management.

Secondly, everyone is a rookie at some point, no?

Caleb Jones for example is in his draft+4 season right now. He had a cup of coffee in the NHL and looked good in limited minutes, then his play suffered when they gave him top pairing minutes. He's also having a very good season in Bakersfield, taking a big step forward offensively and defensively. You could argue he's ready for NHL 3rd pairing minutes next year, and could very well win the 3RD job next to Sekera.

I'm suggesting he step into 3LD full time in the 2020/21 season. That's his draft +6 season, and coming in with 3 years of pro experience (and possibly '2 cups of coffee'). He'll be an NHL rookie, but you can't tell me he wasn't drafted and developed properly. If that's not 'overripe' idk what is.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We need Sekera and Russel for next season unless we get a major upgrade. We also need someone better then Benning for the 3rd pairing. Let the rookies either fight it out for the 3rd pairing spot or keep them in Bakersfield.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If we need to dump a bad contract, I would do Russell before Sekera for sure.

Russell, Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom and Larsson are fine.
We need a PP quarterback and puck mover
If we don't add another defenceman this group of 5 needs to stay.

Reactions: Consultant

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We need Sekera and Russel for next season unless we get a major upgrade. We also need someone better then Benning for the 3rd pairing. Let the rookies either fight it out for the 3rd pairing spot or keep them in Bakersfield.
Benning is fine if he's the #6 with a vet partner. Problem is at some point we will have injuries and he won't be fine

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

As mentioned injuries are the primary concern.

All 6 will be back for at least next year because 1 injury takes our average defense and makes it terribule.

Next training camp hopefully has someone step up in a big way and pushes their way into the lineup where they excellent not just tread water.

I really like the way Nurse has developed but he is still far from being able to carry a top pairing on his own yet. All our guys need a solid counterpart to avoid getting too exposed.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I wouldn't dump Sekera before Russell. But I would dump both at the end of next season.
  • Cap factor - We have cheaper options Jones & Lagesson in the system, the cap savings from moving Sekera could go towards signing a UFA that fills a need in another area like 3C, 2RD, top 6 F. Sekera is a great defensemen. But he's expensive if we're playing him on the 3rd pairing. That cap could be better spent elsewhere is all I'm saying.
  • Waivers - Jones & Lagesson will be on new contracts that require waivers before they can be sent down. Idk how others feel, but I kind of like the idea of Jones/Lagesson competing for 3rd pairing minutes and the 'loser' gets 7D until given opportunities. One of these younger D I mentioned is likely an important part of the future of our D corps, so I'd hate to lose one to waivers.
  • Age - Sekera will be 34 before the 2020/21 season begins, how many good years do you figure he's got left?
Are you guys suggesting we move Russell and use Sekera at 2RD until his contract expires? I don't hate that idea... I see it more as a last resort.

Addressing the bolded part of your message:
Two things. Klefbomb is on a dandy contract, but Nurse will be due for a raise... making between $5-$6.5m I'm guessing. Having Sekera as a $5.5m 3rd pairing D is poor cap management.

Secondly, everyone is a rookie at some point, no?

Caleb Jones for example is in his draft+4 season right now. He had a cup of coffee in the NHL and looked good in limited minutes, then his play suffered when they gave him top pairing minutes. He's also having a very good season in Bakersfield, taking a big step forward offensively and defensively. You could argue he's ready for NHL 3rd pairing minutes next year, and could very well win the 3RD job next to Sekera.

I'm suggesting he step into 3LD full time in the 2020/21 season. That's his draft +6 season, and coming in with 3 years of pro experience (and possibly '2 cups of coffee'). He'll be an NHL rookie, but you can't tell me he wasn't drafted and developed properly. If that's not 'overripe' idk what is.

The biggest issue against dumping both is that you then need to replace them with at least one player capable of top 4.

Benning has proven incapable of top 4. Jones/Bear/Lagesson/Bouchard/Persson may eventually end up in our top 4, but you can't start the season banking on one of them being so.

So if none of our internal options have proven that they are capable of extended looks in the top 4 next year, you then need to look outside to bring one in. There aren't really any obvious external options that likely provide better than Sekera level performance for similar or less money, so you might as well keep him and force the internal candidates to overtake him before shipping him out.

You address the idea of Sekera being 2RD, but I don't think it is a last resort as much as the more realistic option. One thing to consider is the fact that he tends to improve the play of his partners regardless of who they are (when healthy). As such, perhaps you still keep him and Nurse separated as kind of 2A/2B options with Sekera taking the partner who needs more help. I can't think of a better guy to break in a Bouchard or Jones or Bear.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Benning is fine if he's the #6 with a vet partner. Problem is at some point we will have injuries and he won't be fine
The Oilers need someone better than Larsson. The guys playing on the bottom pairing doesn't move the needle.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Oilers need someone better than Larsson. The guys playing on the bottom pairing doesn't move the needle.
My whole solution is make the bottom pairing a slightly worse 2nd pairing. If we can't find that top pairing guy to log a lot of solid minutes, then lets have a bottom pairing capable of playing more than 12-14 minutes a night.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It's nice that Sekera is finally getting some respect around here. Way too little acknowledgement for how good he was for us pre injury against the Ducks. Very happy to see he's regained his form this year.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
The biggest issue against dumping both is that you then need to replace them with at least one player capable of top 4.

Benning has proven incapable of top 4. Jones/Bear/Lagesson/Bouchard/Persson may eventually end up in our top 4, but you can't start the season banking on one of them being so.

So if none of our internal options have proven that they are capable of extended looks in the top 4 next year, you then need to look outside to bring one in. There aren't really any obvious external options that likely provide better than Sekera level performance for similar or less money, so you might as well keep him and force the internal candidates to overtake him before shipping him out.

You address the idea of Sekera being 2RD, but I don't think it is a last resort as much as the more realistic option. One thing to consider is the fact that he tends to improve the play of his partners regardless of who they are (when healthy). As such, perhaps you still keep him and Nurse separated as kind of 2A/2B options with Sekera taking the partner who needs more help. I can't think of a better guy to break in a Bouchard or Jones or Bear.

I suggested dumping both. I thought it goes without saying that obviously when you shed those contracts you search for a suitable 2RD replacement.

Problem: We need a stop-gap RD until Bouchard can step into 2RD.
  • 2019/20 - Bouchard hopefully spends a good chunk of time in the AHL
  • 2020/21 - Bouchard steps into our 3rd pairing. final year of Larsson & Sekera's deals
  • 2021/22 - Bouchard gets some more seasoning on the 3rd pairing
  • 2022/23 - Bouchard steps into the top 4 and doesn't look back.
How does that timeline look? Reasonable? I think 2021/22 is a tad too soon to project Bouchard into top 4 minutes. It's obviously possible Bouchard is ready before then.

If we can find a 2RD with like 3 years term that's ideal. If we have to wait until Sekera's contract expires to do it, so be it.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I suggested dumping both. I thought it goes without saying that obviously when you shed those contracts you search for a suitable 2RD replacement.

Problem: We need a stop-gap RD until Bouchard can step into 2RD.
  • 2019/20 - Bouchard hopefully spends a good chunk of time in the AHL
  • 2020/21 - Bouchard steps into our 3rd pairing. final year of Larsson & Sekera's deals
  • 2021/22 - Bouchard gets some more seasoning on the 3rd pairing
  • 2022/23 - Bouchard steps into the top 4 and doesn't look back.
How does that timeline look? Reasonable? I think 2021/22 is a tad too soon to project Bouchard into top 4 minutes. It's obviously possible Bouchard is ready before then.

If we can find a 2RD with like 3 years term that's ideal. If we have to wait until Sekera's contract expires to do it, so be it.

I think your timelines are pretty close with hopes that the current year AHLers or Persson may be a year ahead to help with the transition. I'm just not convinced that we'll find a better option than Sekera for at least next year (assuming he's healthy) who's also right shooting. Would love to be proven wrong, but even if they can find such a player, why not still keep Sekera (budget pending).

Russell, on the other hand, though he's been a good soldier we likely need to move on unless we get a taker for Lucic, and probably even still.

Why I'm not convinced we can get someone... here's this summers right shooting defensive UFA/RFAs. Not much after Karlsson and maybe Stralman. The trade market may surprise, but then we're likely moving quality players/prospects further depleting our group to get them.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sekera has regained form and is far from a risk other than getting hurt.

Yeah, I was banging the "Sekera will never be the same" drum harder than most, but he has pretty much proven me wrong since he has been back. He is more than serviceable at a bottom-6 dman right now, and his contract isn't ridiculous or anything at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad