Player Discussion Andrej Sekera

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
From losing Sekera to a torn ACL to the last-minute 3 goal collapse, Game 5 against the Ducks really was a terrible game all-around. Game 6 was only a brief respite before the Oilers started their downward spiral from which they have yet to recover.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
They have the choice to play him when he's medically cleared.

I'm skeptical after last year he can be an effective NHLer. Not his fault, but two major injuries in two years spells doom for a player of his age.

Totally agree. I might not be an NHLer, but my body does not recover like it used too. The army has put a massive toll on my body and I cannot do the things I used to do. Granted I don't have million dollar rehab facilities, but we do beat the crap out of ourselves.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im in the positive thoughts and hope he comes back better than ever boat, sure its not probable but neither was winning the mcdavid lottery. a prime Reg is exponential for this team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
[QUOTE="GreatKeith, post: 152753119, member: 101534]

Did we ever find out how he re-injured himself?[/QUOTE]
I don’t recall that ever being released.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
despite how bad the team has been, we're still within striking distance, so him coming back might be just in a nick of time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So Gene said it was a 85% tear. 2 weeks of this skating and 2 weeks of regular practice is the timeline as of now.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
When he came back last year he was also wearing a knee brace which limits range of motion. It was reported yesterday that his knee no longer requires the brace and is 100% so that can make a huge difference. He is expected back in January sometime, sounded like early January and there are legit concerns about where his foot speed and game will be after missing so much time. Probably takes an AHL stint and then back to play bottom pair and they go from there.

Reactions: guymez and Ballz

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
75% Sekera >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>100% matt benning
My only concern is playing a 75% Sekera and re-injuring him. I mean another injury and he's probably on the LTIR anyway for 19-20, but it would be good to get Sekera looking healthy enough to either be apart of this club or to move him easier

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't he tear his achilles tendon?

That's a super difficult injury to come back from. January seems fast, but I'm no doctor.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
U
im in the positive thoughts and hope he comes back better than ever boat, sure its not probable but neither was winning the mcdavid lottery. a prime Reg is exponential for this team.
u got Er! He was clutch in OT 3 on 3 healthy. Great puck mover . I would love to see him healthy

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nice to see he's skating with the team, if the defense can stay healthy, hold up or even be bolstered, getting Sekera back and in a position where he doesn't have to start in the top-4 will be a major shot in the arm for this team. I know he's been out a while, but people forget how effective a defenseman he is.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Didn't he tear his achilles tendon?

That's a super difficult injury to come back from. January seems fast, but I'm no doctor.
You aren't the team has them though and those doctors have looked at him, probably extremely closely, and have determined his return is likely in January.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nice to see he's skating with the team, if the defense can stay healthy, hold up or even be bolstered, getting Sekera back and in a position where he doesn't have to start in the top-4 will be a major shot in the arm for this team. I know he's been out a while, but people forget how effective a defenseman he is.
I'd be happy with him on bottom pairing and top PP playing 12-15 minutes total a night.

People loved to call him the shin pad assassin, but at least he was shooting from the point. It forced someone to come up further opening up for room for the skilled players to move around.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I'd be happy with him on bottom pairing and top PP playing 12-15 minutes total a night.

People loved to call him the shin pad assassin, but at least he was shooting from the point. It forced someone to come up further opening up for room for the skilled players to move around.

Sekeras shooting was the reason the oilers could have the beast that is mark letestu open for one time claps

Reactions: joestevens29

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Was saying this to my friend last game, as much as it was a running joke the shin pad assassin kept the PKers honest

Reactions: joestevens29

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I really hope he gets some time on the farm for conditioning and isn't tossed right back into the deep end again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad