Player Discussion Andrej Sekera

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Oh boy... I'm sure they're definitely not rushing him back so he plays like he did last year after injury...

Reactions: McDrai

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
his puck-moving is sorely being missed

hopefully he's not so broken down that he's still useful and he's back playing in the new year

Good Sekera is sorely missed. Last year when he came back he wasn't moving the puck well at all because he was so slow he never had the time and space to even make a play. Colour me skeptical.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Surgery happened on August 14th- return in January would be about 5 months of recovery time (seems a little short no?). With two major lower body surgeries in the past 3 years (arguably I think the two worst injuries you can have as a professional athlete) I'm not holding my breath for Sekera to come back this season and be an effective player. 2019 I'll be interested to see what player Sekera is- with both injuries I'm sure he hasn't been able to train as effective as season's past.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Surgery happened on August 14th- return in January would be about 5 months of recovery time (seems a little short no?). With two major lower body surgeries in the past 3 years (arguably I think the two worst injuries you can have as a professional athlete) I'm not holding my breath for Sekera to come back this season and be an effective player. 2019 I'll be interested to see what player Sekera is- with both injuries I'm sure he hasn't been able to train as effective as season's past.
Good news that he’s back on the ice but five months seems pretty optimistic. I thought a torn Achilles was closer to nine months for rehab. Fingers crossed though because we sure could use him.

Reactions: Summary

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They have the choice to play him when he's medically cleared.

I'm skeptical after last year he can be an effective NHLer. Not his fault, but two major injuries in two years spells doom for a player of his age.
They do have the choice, and then you’d show up complaining they have 5.5m sitting in the press box

Reactions: nabob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good news that he’s back on the ice but five months seems pretty optimistic. I thought a torn Achilles was closer to nine months for rehab. Fingers crossed though because we sure could use him.

Yeah that does seem on the short side of things. Probably better off holding off until February at least.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They do have the choice, and then you’d show up complaining they have 5.5m sitting in the press box
Yeah and I'd complain if they sat Lucic too. Thanks for the projection.

Sekera just wasn't very good last year. And I'm doubtful he'll be better after his injury this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a good guy, but I think he's done as a player. The previous injury was bad enough, but to tear your achilles on top of that in your 30s ... is really bad. I doubt he will ever be the same player again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah that does seem on the short side of things. Probably better off holding off until February at least.
My concern is how is that knee as well?

The other thing was he was feeling good in practices last year too. Then complained that because he had no training camp he was so far behind. How the hell is he going to be after not really playing for a year and half?

He needs a AHL stint before playing NHL games

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Even when Sekera was healthy there was a lot to be desired in terms of his speed. He was just getting away with plays, carrying the puck with his poise. Any regression in speed potentially puts him out of the NHL. So although he'd still be an upgrade on a Gravel or Garrison, I doubt he helps much.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The other thing was he was feeling good in practices last year too. Then complained that because he had no training camp he was so far behind. How the hell is he going to be after not really playing for a year and half?

It's extremely hard to join the team seamlessly that late in the season with no training camp or even a conditioning stint. The Oilers need to be cautious with this player.

Did we ever find out how he re-injured himself?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even when Sekera was healthy there was a lot to be desired in terms of his speed. He was just getting away with plays, carrying the puck with his poise. Any regression in speed potentially puts him out of the NHL. So although he'd still be an upgrade on a Gravel or Garrison, I doubt he helps much.
He was playing like a 4.5mil player or so. I do however agree any more regression and we are looking at potentially a real bad contract

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Does he fit under the cap or do we need to move someone?

If he can come back in his 16/17 form this could be good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's extremely hard to join the team seamlessly that late in the season with no training camp or even a conditioning stint. The Oilers need to be cautious with this player.

Did we ever find out how he re-injured himself?
I hope he takes the AHL stint to get into shape. I think hope he gets the Garrison role as #8. Give him games here and there, but not an everyday player until he looks ready

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He's probably gonna suck this season, I think expecting a lot is expecting too much.

Achilles injury in your 30s is devastating, Kobe Bryant was a shadow of himself after his achilles injury and he works about hard as any athlete.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
He's probably gonna suck this season, I think expecting a lot is expecting too much.

Achilles injury in your 30s is devastating, Kobe Bryant was a shadow of himself after his achilles injury and he works about hard as any athlete.
Yeah, I dont expect much from Sekera. That contract just got horrible. Kobe was one of the most dominant players in history with a killer instinct and a killer work ethic. He easily worked and trained the hardest of any player. But the achilles injuries hit him hard. He never played the same again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad