Injury Report: Andrej Sekera out indefinitely (torn Achilles)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Welp this is bad. I was hoping Sekera would be 100% healthy by camp and back to being a top pair guy...

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bear

Rip

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean technically could you sign Nurse to a long term extension and hold him out of the 1st game of the season? Because after that, the cap space is there.
That's what I said in the other thread. Just wait to sign extension

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
On the bright side ... getting Chiarelli fired and getting a good pick in what sounds like a deep draft is not the worst thing in the world.

Sucks for Rej, at his age, I think he's pretty much done.
Lmao this has been the running tagline for what 8 years now? It is the worst thing when you have the best player on the planet on your team.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I mean technically could you sign Nurse to a long term extension and hold him out of the 1st game of the season? Because after that, the cap space is there.
Why would they do that? You can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason.

That would also mean no training camp or preseason for Nurse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Mother ****er! Who is going to trade for Sekera next off-season now?

Does this have any effect on Nurse's contract? He still can't sign a long-term deal over 5M AAV because you can't put somebody on LTIR until after the start of the season right?

If the freed up money doesn't kick in until after the season starts then the Oilers can't do much more than camp invites in the meantime so it's pointless to talk about trades and a long term Nurse deal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why would they do that? You can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason.

That would also mean no training camp or preseason for Nurse.

But there comes a point where that cushion goes away and you have to be under the cap. That's the problem with signing Nurse long term first.

If they can do the whole "put Sekera on LTIR on game 1 of the season and then sign Nurse" ... that could work though.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Mother ****er! Who is going to trade for Sekera next off-season now?

Does this have any effect on Nurse's contract? He still can't sign a long-term deal over 5M AAV because you can't put somebody on LTIR until after the start of the season right?

According to Cap Friendly you can put a player on LTIR while the 10% off-season cushion is active you just have to prove that the player will be out for 10 NHL games and 24 Calendar days. I tried looking as to whether or not that off-season cushion is still active but could not find anything unfortunately. I would think it is because it is still the offseason but that's just me guessing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No way Nurse goes into training camp without a contract. If he gets injured he's screwed. I'm not sure the PA would be happy with it either.

That's a little risk sure, I guess the Oilers could hold him out of preseason games.

Gaudreau played in the World Cup of Hockey without an extension signed.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I sure hope Sekera is insured. I mean hopefully you could trade him
It is likely that a significant portion of his contract is insured. The teams pay a premium based on the salaries of their 5 highest paid players. The amount of those salaries can be distributed over other and typically teams will insure completely or partially about 7 players. Since Sekera is one of the older and higher paid players he is likely one of the guys that the Oilers would choose to insure. The problem though is that his contract does not end at the end of this year otherwise a trade would be the best way to handle this. BUt it's tough to move him if his long term future is up in the air. He has three years to recover.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Gotta feel for sekera. Guys probably done after this injury. At best he's probably getting minimum contracts to prove he can play after.

So glad we shored up our d so something like our start last year didn't happen again if we lost a dman like sekera. :sarcasm:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Well f***.

Sekera having an offseason to recover from his knee injury was one of the things I was pinning my playoff hopes on.

Reactions: 780il

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good thing we did absolutely nothing to fix an already bad defense....

“Same defense that led us to the playoffs”

Ouch. An already underwhelming d-core gets even more so.

What are implications for the cap? All 5.5 off?
You don’t get any cap relief until you’re at the cap and need to go over. As Fourier mentioned, having bonuses complicates things.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If you go after someone else now how do you get cap compliant before the season starts?
LTIR is confusing but I'm looking at the training camp equation on CapFriendly:

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Example: The 2018-19 upper limit is $79.5M, on the last day of the off-season a team has a projected cap hit of $82.3M and places a player with an AAV of $5.5M on LTIR:
Team cap hit = $82.3M
Player’s cap hit = $5.5M
ACSL = $82.3M - $5.5M = $76.8M
To accrue cap space while the team continues to use LTIR, they would need to trade players to get below a projected cap hit value of $76.8M.
Updated with this year's cap (79.5), Sekera's cap hit (5.5), and Nurse + Faulk making 7.8 combined. If Sekera is out all season then the Oilers don't need to worry about accruing cap space while they use LTIR, right? @Fourier?

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I hate to say it but this is probably a career ender at this stage in the game with his knee injury. What are the cap implications?

Cap implications are NOT good. Basically he will attempt to come back next year and be a shell of his former self. He'll suck up 5.5 million in cap next year, while providing essentially no benefit to the team. He will then do the same thing for the next year.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
It’s not THAT disastrous but it definitely sucks.
Idk man, I think I could take 1 more year of heartbreak if it meant we were guaranteed to get Hughes.

But we aren't, and we dont suck enough to get a top 3 pick over the likes of Detroit, Vancouver, Buffalo. So we should try to improve with the newfound cap space.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Cap implications are NOT good. Basically he will attempt to come back next year and be a shell of his former self. He'll suck up 5.5 million in cap next year, while providing essentially no benefit to the team. He will then do the same thing for the next year.

I'd say there's a fair chance he's bought out next summer.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
We weren't bad enough to compete for Dahlin last year without Sekera and/or with a Sekera that was actively making the Oilers worse. We won't be Jack Hughes bad.

This is a big blow to the playoff push though.

I'll forever be an optimistic homer, but even I wasn't expecting playoffs.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good and bad. On one hand it opens up some options this year but the down side is that it could be bad news for next years cap. The reason is that it could very likely trigger bonus overages which will reduce the cap next year. The worst case scenario is that he is not cleared to play by next off season but will be sometime during the actual 2019-2020 season.

It hurts us long term really badly. Both next season and the season after. It's a "worst-case scenario" if I ever heard one when it comes to cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad