Injury Report: Andrej Sekera out indefinitely (torn Achilles)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He said during the season that his knee wasn't strong enough to play without a brace, which was limiting his mobility. He was going to use the offseason to re-strengthen it so he could play without one. I wonder which Achilles he tore. What would be worse: one good leg + one leg with two major injuries, or both legs each having a major injury?
At this point I don't know that it really matters. I'm picturing rehabbing both scenarios and it would suck. Even if you have one good leg, you start doing stupid shit and compensating too much with that good leg.

I had minor lingering injuries with a knee and ankle on the same side. Ended up doing damage to my other knee, because I started walking incorrectly.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Time for Chiarelli to step up and do something. He should've learned his lesson from last year not to rely on unproven guys to step up. This is not the time to sit back and hope Bear or Bouchard can handle full time next season. Needs to acquire a defenseman in the next month.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
5.5M cap relief? sounds like we are making room for erik Karllson

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Time for Chiarelli to step up and do something. He should've learned his lesson from last year not to rely on unproven guys to step up. This is not the time to sit back and hope Bear or Bouchard can handle full time next season. Needs to acquire a defenseman in the next month.

giphy.gif

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I hate to say it but this is probably a career ender at this stage in the game with his knee injury. What are the cap implications?

Good and bad. On one hand it opens up some options this year but the down side is that it could be bad news for next years cap. The reason is that it could very likely trigger bonus overages which will reduce the cap next year. The worst case scenario is that he is not cleared to play by next off season but will be sometime during the actual 2019-2020 season.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
We weren't bad enough to compete for Dahlin last year without Sekera and/or with a Sekera that was actively making the Oilers worse. We won't be Jack Hughes bad.

This is a big blow to the playoff push though.

Reactions: Yarbles02

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You sign Brandon Davidson before any of those guys

Why? The Oilers already have Gravel to fill the #7 role. Enstrom is the only one of these options who is even remotely capable of playing on a 2nd pairing and even he is a big question mark.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We weren't bad enough to compete for Dahlin last year without Sekera and/or with a Sekera that was actively making the Oilers worse. We won't be Jack Hughes bad.

This is a big blow to the playoff push though.

Unless of course there's a injury to any one of the other Oilers key players. Then it becomes quite possible.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Mother f***er! Who is going to trade for Sekera next off-season now?

Does this have any effect on Nurse's contract? He still can't sign a long-term deal over 5M AAV because you can't put somebody on LTIR until after the start of the season right?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You gotta be freaking kidding me

I would just put him on LTIR

No way will he be able to skate at an NHL LEVEL this year after this combined with last seasons injury

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean technically could you sign Nurse to a long term extension and hold him out of the 1st game of the season? Because after that, the cap space is there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad